Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X Back from SC! I might have found a way to duplicate the front door problem.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car has been in and out of the Tesla Service Center for a long time. I'm probably their most popular customer. Anyway, I had the latch issue as well. Finally it has been fixed. We got our car April 7th and right away the problem started. The door was acting crazy, opening and closing, like it was possessed! We realized it was probably that me and my husband both had a key and it was just confusing the car. That may have caused the issue with the door, but even if, a car should be able to handle that without an issue. The first time I brought the car in, they didn't see the issue and then I brought it again and they finally saw the issue. But we couldn't wait until the part came in because we had a road trip planned for Spring Break. Finally yesterday, I got my car with the latch fixed and it works great. I have turned off the auto open, though. It's just getting a little annoying with the opening and closing.

Now a couple of questions to you and the other experts @ohmman @sukhi et al -Mostly I avoid touching the doors and manually operating them.

1. When I click the screen to open the driver door, no matter if we are in wild Wild West or in my garage next to the pillar, the door only opens to the 20% and then I have to push it out. Is that normal operation?

2. When it auto opens from outside as I approach the car, sometimes it opens wide and other times to 20% and then I have to pull it open. Is that your experience as well?

This had been our experience as well.
As for 2, auto open span is determined by FWD sensors.
I am going yo experiment with various situations when I get our MX from SC. So far I had disabled auto present but that disabled my car was refusing to recognize my proximity so it was not even auto unlocking when I approached it.

While supercharging last night the drives door would no long 'suck' into the car and I had to open it up from the passenger side. I cycled it about 10 times while waiting and eventually it started working correctly again.

Today I got a OTA SW update (.37 which I thought I got on the 15th?). After that my car would not auto open at all. I turned the power off and back on again and now all seems to be working properly again. Go figure.