Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X Back from SC! I might have found a way to duplicate the front door problem.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ModelXBoy

No More Door Captain of TMC! Oh Yeah Baby!
Jan 3, 2016
Orange County, CA
Alright folks

I think this thread might be very helpful to people with Model X front door latch problem. Just took delivery of the X back from SC after 34 days of total fixings in SC. By the time I inspect the door, the door has replaced with the newest latch from Tesla. Driver side door still got confused for one time today. I think I just found out why:

It does not matter if the auto present door is on or off
1. Do not manually close the driver side door partially, meaning you only hear one soft click. I found if you do this, and try to open the door by pulling the handle, driver door latch confuses.

2. If door has opened, you think it's not opened wide enough, do not close the door right back manually and reopen it just to test the latch so you can reach your desired opening angle. Doing so might confused the door latch as well. You need to either fully open the door or completely shut the door. Nothing in between. Ignore the angles.

Lastly, do not play around with your front doors. If the door is open, do what you need to do and close it completely with the electric button (Do not do so manually). Do not be OCD like me try to make sure door opens perfectly to my desired angle. Remember always open completely and close completely with electric button and handle, do not close the door manually.

This is what i found out today after taken the X back and I am now officially not nervous anymore. I think I found out the pattern on how to open the front doors without problems. Again exceptions may apply for some people. So far it's doing pretty well, driver door just shakes ever so slightly when closing.

Thanks, hopefully I can help some other X owners out who might have the same front door latching problem.

@ohmman @Mark Z, feel free to chime in and correct me or add more if you guys have more information. Thanks

ModelXBoy

First things first - congratulations, finally, on having your Model X back. Quite a journey, and hopefully it's coming to an end.

On the doors - I have to say that I don't have the experience that you do. We don't baby the doors at all. My wife often closes them with one soft click (the one before they automatically close themselves). I close them with the full first click so they close the rest of the way themselves. I frequently grab the door and stop it from opening. I manually operate them open/closed to some extent every single time I use them. Certainly I always close them manually when I'm exiting the car.

I think if your doors can't handle being opened and closed manually, you still have an issue. We use ours just like manual doors, except allowing the electrical assist to do help at times (and at times fighting it). Doors still latch properly, at least for now.

Maybe you're overly cautious, which I would expect given your recent experience. But if you do use them "as intended" and have latching issues, I'm afraid the SC is going to have to spend more time with your X.

Maybe you're overly cautious, which I would expect given your recent experience. But if you do use them "as intended" and have latching issues, I'm afraid the SC is going to have to spend more time with your X.

This is also true if this is happening to me again. The replacement car is in the work, i will be assign a VIN for the replacement. SC told me continue to drive the X since it's going back to Fremont anyway for future inspection. So i did not look anymore in detail about the car and take the car right away since it's now my loaner. BTW they also lost my towing hitch. But it will come with the replacement X.

First things first, congrats on driving a Model X again and hopefully you will have a near perfect replacement soon. Admire the patience.

I am with @ohmman here in terms of our experience with the front doors. We often stop it manually from swinging out, close it manually, close with a click and let it close all the way. So far no issues in terms of the "confused status open/close" issue.

Your suggestions are good, but they wouldn't have helped my "dead" front door.

When my front door latch failed completely, the electric assist would not provide any door movement. It was as if the door motor was disconnected. Worse, the pull in latch motor didn't work either.

I was always able to get faulty front doors to latch before that one failure. But nothing could get the electric circuits to activate during the total failure of the one passenger front door. While the door could be manually latched at the first position, the problems are the warning beeps, no AP, no cruise control and a door only partially latched.

As I look at the front door, there are no "holes" inside to thread something to tie the door down. Twine or string could be run on the outside of the glass and back inside. A passenger or driver could (and some did) hold the door for extra safety on curves. However, Tesla Motors should have a secondary way to secure a front door when an electric latch permanently "dies" and is not fully latchable and Model X is located far away from a service center.

Your suggestions are good, but they wouldn't have helped my "dead" front door.

When my front door latch failed completely, the electric assist would not provide any door movement. It was as if the door motor was disconnected. Worse, the pull in latch motor didn't work either.

I was always able to get faulty front doors to latch before that one failure. But nothing could get the electric circuits to activate during the total failure of the one passenger front door. While the door could be manually latched at the first position, the problems are the warning beeps, no AP, no cruise control and a door only partially latched.

As I look at the front door, there are no "holes" inside to thread something to tie the door down. Twine or string could be run on the outside of the glass and back inside. A passenger or driver could (and some did) hold the door for extra safety on curves. However, Tesla Motors should have a secondary way to secure a front door when an electric latch permanently "dies" and is not fully latchable and Model X is located far away from a service center.

My issue is exactly the same as yours. The motor just stopped. The above method is actually for post latch replacement. If the X installed with the new latch, the above method works for me. @Mark Z Did you get your latch replacement yet? How is the door working after the new latch on your X? Also are you going to that Temacula meet this Saturday, I think it's wine and drive something like that.

I am also with @ohmman and @sukhi, I don't baby my front doors at all. I do have to fight them sometimes when they don't open enough, or when I want to close them right after opening. But I've never had any issues with the latches because of that.
One time the passenger side window was rolled up all the way and hit the door frame when I closed it, but I just opened and re-closed it and all was fine.

Did you get your latch replacement yet? How is the door working after the new latch on your X?
Yes. It took over a week of waiting for the latch to arrive. The new latch works perfectly. No special techniques required, it just works.
...are you going...this Saturday...
Double check the forums for any future events. I know of no event this Saturday. OC did enjoy a great brunch last Sunday.

cI only experienced one latching issue when a large group of people were "playing" with the car when I first got it....opening the doors rapidly, not allowing motions to complete etc. The door got into a situation that it could not do the final latch to pull completely shut and roll up the remaining window motion. Luckily, I was a t the factory doing a charge, and Tesla was able to tke the car into the service center and had it fixed in a couple hours (I don't believe any hardware replacement was involved). My cars doors work generally well...they auto present a couple inches when I approach from the front of the car, open full when I pass (or approach from the rear). I still don't trust the sensors 100% (always ready to stop the doors if needed - but hopefully this confidence will build over time). Occasionally, especially when parking on an incline, the doors will not open the entire arc. The door needs a strong push to have it open fully. The only other thing I have not figured out is how when the auto present turns its self off....ocasionally when I am moving back and forth away from the car (packing things in the car for example) the door will auto open and auto close every time I approach/leave. Then, sometimes that stops opening - after x cycles? I really wish there was a technical bulletin that explained in detail how the auto door present (and other automatic features) are supposed to work and when sensors etc should stop them from functioning. The manual just does not provide enough detail. I agree and use the practice of always using the auto functions for the doors - auto present, break pedal close or touch screen operation....I only use the outer door handle push or inner door handle push when the automated function is disabled. On a very positive side, I have seen great improvement with each almost biweekly software "upgrade". Touchscreen lock-ups that were almost daily are now non-existent. overly sensitive fwd sensors given false positives have been significantly reduced and auto pilot improvements allow the car to operate much more autonomously. I feel lucky to be driving the car each and every day....

BTW they also lost my towing hitch. But it will come with the replacement X.
Reminds me of a time I spent visiting Egypt. We lost (actually it was stolen) some items at the airport. We inquired about where the lost and found was located. The security police looked at us strangely and then responded they did not have a lost and found. The reason? Whatever was lost in Egypt was quickly found, by someone else.:)

• Funny
Reactions: Dalia and xkwizit
It does not matter what I need to do with the door, as long as it's working fine for me. I am just happy that I can be back into this family of welcoming Tesla Model X owners and enjoy the conversion, the ride and the experience Tesla has provided to all of us. Best of all, I appreciate that I have accomplish all these at age 30. I will continue to be one of the first to experience new and innovative things in the future, from Tesla, Apple or google or whoever, even though problems might be presented and facing them is a challenge. My goal is to maximize my passion with technologies in my life so I can possibly be future proof, having less barrier with my newborn daughter when she grows up.

• Love
Reactions: sukhi
@ModelXBoy - You really deserve the title of "Door Captain" for all your time and patience in exploring the doors on Model X.

Now a couple of questions to you and the other experts @ohmman @sukhi et al -Mostly I avoid touching the doors and manually operating them.

1. When I click the screen to open the driver door, no matter if we are in wild Wild West or in my garage next to the pillar, the door only opens to the 20% and then I have to push it out. Is that normal operation?

2. When it auto opens from outside as I approach the car, sometimes it opens wide and other times to 20% and then I have to pull it open. Is that your experience as well?

After a week with my X my passenger side door would not latch closed so the car could not be driven. The Tampa center sent someone out and they took the door apart and was able to get the door to latch but I was told not to open the door until they installed the new latch. It took a few weeks for the replacement to come in and they came out and installed new latches in both front doors just in case. I haven't had the problem since. I softly close the doors and the car sucks them in. There are times when the doors open slowly and it takes about a minute to wake up.

@ModelXBoy - You really deserve the title of "Door Captain" for all your time and patience in exploring the doors on Model X.

Now a couple of questions to you and the other experts @ohmman @sukhi et al -Mostly I avoid touching the doors and manually operating them.

1. When I click the screen to open the driver door, no matter if we are in wild Wild West or in my garage next to the pillar, the door only opens to the 20% and then I have to push it out. Is that normal operation?

2. When it auto opens from outside as I approach the car, sometimes it opens wide and other times to 20% and then I have to pull it open. Is that your experience as well?

Yes, both movements are normal. I even have times when the door only opens 1% and I have to press the button again to shut, and then reopen the door.

Oh yeah, I will change to Door Caption of TMC. lol!

• Funny
Reactions: K-MTG and xkwizit
...the door only opens to the 20% and then I have to push it out. Is that normal operation?
Sounds like the door needs recalibration to open beyond the 20%. It's a process that a customer can accomplish, but have the service center show you how in person.

When it auto opens from outside as I approach the car, sometimes it opens wide and other times to 20% and then I have to pull it open. Is that your experience as well?
Stand away from the falcon wing door and the door should open wide. If the sensor senses a car is parked close, the door shouldn't open fully. The problem is when the sensor thinks a person is a car.

Sounds like the door needs recalibration to open beyond the 20%. It's a process that a customer can accomplish, but have the service center show you how in person.

Stand away from the falcon wing door and the door should open wide. If the sensor senses a car is parked close, the door shouldn't open fully. The problem is when the sensor thinks a person is a car.
@Mark Z - I am going to the SC next week for wheel alignments so I will check with them on calibration of the door.

For the second one, I have tested with parking in open space with nothing around and walking up to the car from front and rear. Sometimes it opens wide and sometimes just 20%. Maybe recalibration will fix it (or break the latch completely :eek:)

@Mark Z

For the second one, I have tested with parking in open space with nothing around and walking up to the car from front and rear. Sometimes it opens wide and sometimes just 20%. Maybe recalibration will fix it (or break the latch completely :eek:)
By design it only opens up 20% when you come from the front. For me it opens about 80% when approaching from the rear. Not sure if you are using the auto open or not but it may work this way no matter what.

To calibrate it after it opens, then pull it open fully. Get in the car and press the brake or touch panel to close. Then exit the car and see if it works better. If not give it another go. If that does not work have the SC recalibrate them for you. All of this assumes you are doing this on a flat and open place.

Reminds me of a time I spent visiting Egypt. We lost (actually it was stolen) some items at the airport. We inquired about where the lost and found was located. The security police looked at us strangely and then responded they did not have a lost and found. The reason? Whatever was lost in Egypt was quickly found, by someone else.:)

Haha! As someone with an Egyptian background, I find this so funny! Sorry you had to experience that part of Egypt.