Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X Bomb

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
California: The car hit a wall head on at a high rate of speed. Bystanders helped remove the victim from the vehicle. The vehicle started to burn some time later.

Florida: I don't know how much evidence we have been able to get, but if that car caught fire immediately, it is like the first time that's happened in the history of all Model X built. We did have an incident some years ago of a stolen Model S being driven 100 MPH down a city street. It got sideways and sliced through a light pole, cutting the battery in half. That one did burn.

If you can refrain from driving like that, I can promise you no worry about fires. Crashing still hurts, but you should read about all the wrecks people are walking away from.

I’m not a speed fan, but I do love the exceleration when needed. Thanks for the thoughts.

Where are you getting the 2nd crash with a fire involving the X?

I only know of the crash in California where the fire happened after the driver was evacuated.

In almost all of the known Tesla fires the car has asked the driver nicely to exit the vehicle before going up in flames. It's not completely rude like an ICE car where it does it with zero warning.

I only know of the crash in California where the fire happened after the driver was evacuated.

In almost all of the known Tesla fires the car has asked the driver nicely to exit the vehicle before going up in flames. It's not completely rude like an ICE car where it does it with zero warning.

Couple of kids where killed in FL two months ago but I am pretty sure it was an S. It was very very sad, the video, I will never be able to unseen that. If you ever come across it, don't watch it.

Couple of kids where killed in FL two months ago but I am pretty sure it was an S. It was very very sad, the video, I will never be able to unseen that. If you ever come across it, don't watch it.
Yeah, I'm aware of that one. It was an S that was driven at extremely high speed. It was so impactful to Elon/Tesla that they introduced a new feature in the honor of one of the individuals that died,

It's true that Model X is THE BOMB. Everyday I risk my family's and other people's lives driving on the road. With that said I decommission bombs as a side job. Let me know if you need the service and I'll charge a nominal fee to take the bomb off your hands. Deal?

Nope, not at that point, just an old guy trying to educate myself to my First Model X. The oridginal question was a result of basically people in parking lots asking questions and I didn’t have a clear answer, I do now! Thanks for the response.

I spent a whole career answering stupid questions in the medical field, but did it with social grace. Not everyone is an expert and why belittle them.

Second crash was here in South Florida, Miami this summer, involved speed and and young folks. Tragic to see loss of life, but the forces of nature must be reckoned with.

Just for perspective - a 1999 article on battery explosions - lead acid car battery explosions - injuring thousands per year. And by "injuring" the article means "required a trip to the ER".

How to Avoid Battery Explosions (Yes, They Really Happen)
I had a lead acid started battery explode in a car once. The the voltage regulator failed in the alternator which allowed the battery to overcharge. The overcharging caused the water in the battery to break down and it created hydrogen gas. The gas ignited from a spark in the brushes in the starter motor and the battery exploded.

Polite understatement of the week...

Second crash was here in South Florida, Miami this summer, involved speed and and young folks. Tragic to see loss of life, but the forces of nature must be reckoned with.

According to the NTSB report they were travelling at 116 MPH! :eek: in a 30 MPH zone heading into a 25 mph corner...
Hit a wall twice then a lamp post...
A little amazed that this has been characterized as a "survivable" crash where the kids died in the ensuing fire.
Show me a list of the cars that are fireproof under those circumstances and any car that would advertise survivability at that speed.

Reactions: spectrum
So far all Tesla models have shown to be very good in crash survivability. There are a few instances of battery fires, usually due to an impact of some kind. But not all are due to direct damage to the battery. There was a recent example of a battery catching fire in a model S while in traffic. The good news is that all of these fires have been easy to detect, the car even tells you, something along the lines of "I don't feel good, you should get out right now!" which I always thought was very nice of the car. So even if there is a problem and you are on the highway alone, the car will tell you that something is going bad and you need to get out. Crashes are obvious, when safe, leave the vehicle (in Colorado, not always safe to leave as snow and ice cause many follow on crashes and getting crushed after getting out of the car is common.) But you have time to leave, it does not just catch fire instantly.

• Informative
Reactions: spectrum

According to the NTSB report they were travelling at 116 MPH! :eek: in a 30 MPH zone heading into a 25 mph corner...
A little amazed that this has been characterized as a "survivable" crash where the kids died in the ensuing fire.
Show me a list of the cars that are fireproof under those circumstances and any car that would advertise survivability at that speed.

When I bought my MX off the Tesla showroom at the Mall, Sales guy asked me if teens would be driving it, NOPE!
I like your post!

Google about "BMWs on fire" and "Fords on fire", or "Dodges on fire" and get chill.

I get it. Thanks.

I’ve seen 2 vidieos, one in California and one in South Florida of Model Xs crashing and burning. I’m a new X owner with 1880 miles of driving so far, and am a little concerned about fire after crashes. Thoughts please.

According to this report, there were an average of 229,500 vehicle fires per year (between 2007 and 2011). That would be 629 cars on fire every day, or 26 cars on fire every hour. And this is only in the US of A! But the news media never report those. If they find ONE Tesla on fire, it will blanket the media.

When people tell me that they heard a Tesla was on fire, I ask them "Really?... did you also hear about other 600+ cars on fire EVERY DAY?" That will do it, every time :rolleyes: