TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

X Bomb

Discussion in 'Model X' started by l4sythe, Jul 23, 2018.

1. l4sythe

l4sythe Member

I’ve seen 2 vidieos, one in California and one in South Florida of Model Xs crashing and burning. I’m a new X owner with 1880 miles of driving so far, and am a little concerned about fire after crashes. Thoughts please.

• Disagree x 6
    • Funny x 2
  2. McManX

McManX Member

How many videos have you seen of non-electric cars catching fire? More than two I would guess.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I think you need to sell it right now before it kills you, your family, your dog, and your childhood friends.

• Funny x 11
    • Disagree x 1
  4. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

Just look at this to give you a counterpoint. There are MANY more on YouTube.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. copyhacker

copyhacker Member

If you feel the need to unload your highly flammable deathtrap, I could be coerced into taking it off your hands.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
  6. dlsspy

dlsspy Member

• Like x 4
  7. EldestOyster

EldestOyster Member

California: The car hit a wall head on at a high rate of speed. Bystanders helped remove the victim from the vehicle. The vehicle started to burn some time later.

Florida: I don't know how much evidence we have been able to get, but if that car caught fire immediately, it is like the first time that's happened in the history of all Model X built. We did have an incident some years ago of a stolen Model S being driven 100 MPH down a city street. It got sideways and sliced through a light pole, cutting the battery in half. That one did burn.

If you can refrain from driving like that, I can promise you no worry about fires. Crashing still hurts, but you should read about all the wrecks people are walking away from.

• Informative x 3
  8. puritan

puritan Member

@l4sythe

If you look through all the derision disguised as responses to your question:

1. Cars catch fire irrespective of whether they're ICE or electric.
    2. The fire itself depends upon the severity of the crash, both crashes at California(~80mph) and Florida(116mph) were at extremely high speeds, hitting a stationary, immovable object. The force broke open the battery pack, leading to a fire.
    3. Batteries catch fire, yes, but the power electronics and construction on a Tesla surpass anything else on the road at the moment.
    4. Tesla cars carry a 5-Star safety rating on all categories, unmatched by any other vehicle on the road. There are several instances of exceptionally severe crashes involving a Tesla where the occupants walked away from the car unharmed. A similar crash in an ICE vehicle would have lead to loss of life, do some googling and take a look at those pictures.

The media circus surrounding Tesla right now ensures these isolated incidents are brought to the spotlight. Do not get affected or concerned about this as exceptional circumstances surrounded the crashes.

Enjoy your car and drive safe with the knowledge that it is one of the safest cars on the road.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. rypalmer

rypalmer Active Member

• Like x 1
  10. NoBeard

NoBeard Member

Nope, I really think you should sell your X to me right now at 75% of what you paid... really... now!!!

• Funny x 2
  11. l4sythe

l4sythe Member

Thank you, lesson learned, will not ask questions. Thanks again!

• Funny x 1
  12. l4sythe

l4sythe Member

Thanks, I’m new to the Tesla world, it is wonderful! Have been an ER Nurse for years, seen a lot and My paranoid button gets tickled easily. Thanks again!

13. smalltownguy

smalltownguy Member

Ask away, but your model X is an awesome car!

Don't worry.

14. l4sythe

l4sythe Member

Thanks for the link. I won’t use the F bomb (Fire Bomb) again.

15. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

My suggestion - a different title in a pro Tesla forum might improve responses.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  16. l4sythe

l4sythe Member

Thanks!

• Like x 2
  17. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

:rolleyes:

18. NHK X

NHK X Laus Deo

Dang pretty crazy how quickly the flames engulf the car in that video.

19. posity

posity Member

#19 posity, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    If I can draw an analogy that pertains to your profession, consider the number of deaths that happen in the USA due to Ebola (ZERO) vs. the number of deaths that happen each year due to influenza (1500 or so PER YEAR). The media had a field day with the four USA Ebola victims in 2014 (one died, who had contracted off USA soil) but the media barely makes a peep about the incredible number of influenza deaths every year. The media made it sound like Ebola was coming to wipe out the population of the USA.

Similarly, AFAIK, there have been ZERO car battery deaths, but the number of automobile fire deaths due to gasoline fires/explosions number in the hundreds per year - yet the media ignores them as just an everyday part of life. Your ICE fuel tank is a virtual bomb, the gasoline vapors can travel dozens of feet then ignite into a life altering/ending inferno. It is insanity to compare the possibility of death due to a battery fire vs a fuel tank fire: the fuel tank, tubes, hoses, and gasoline motor are myriads of types of horrific accidents waiting to happen.

Be proud that you are an EV owner. Spread the word about the silliness of the media's treatment of battery fires and remind people just how incredibly dangerous gasoline is. We all know how dangerous gasoline is, but we accept it as a fact of life. In just a few years, people will look back and wonder how we all could have been so complacent about our safety for so long.

• Helpful x 2
  20. l4sythe

l4sythe Member

Very well stated, thank you. Your analogy was great and points on gasoline is well taken. I think there is so much to learn with your first Tesla, it’s a bit overwhelming, but all is going great, love the SUV . I am planning a Florida to Maine road trip this fall.

• Like x 1