Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EarlyM3Owner

Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2018
Chicago
Xcelerate brings extended vehicle warranties into the electric age

I just purchased an 8 year extended warranty on my Performance Model 3. I know of the person who helped start it and been reading a lot of positive things online about it.

Anyone else have personal experience? I have read some other threads in S and X about people buying it.

8 year and 100k mile warranty for $3,000

I just got a quote from them. For my 2018 Model 3 with 8995 miles, it would be $3,200 for an additional 8 years/100,000 or $3,500 for an additional 10 years/125,000 miles. Since I drive about 10-12K miles a year and since I still have 3 more years on the Tesla manufacturer warranty, what I am really getting is 4 additional years and an additional 50K miles for $3,200.

If I were to invest this $3,200 instead and earned say 8% a year for 3 or 4 years, I could earn an additional 1,000 so the true cost would be about $4,200 (or maybe a bit less since I would have to pay some taxes on my investment return). So the question is, is it worth $4,000 to extend the warranty for an additional 4 years and 50K miles. If I drove a ton and put say over 20K miles a year on my Tesla, I think it would be worth it. But since I still have 3 years and 40K miles on the manufacturer warranty and 8 years on the battery and motors, I am inclined to pass.

Two other interesting points. On their website, they ask the question why by it now if you still have the manufacturer warranty? They answered by saying it is because the older the car is and the more mileage it has, the more expensive it will be to purchase the same coverage. So if you are going to buy this type of extended warranty, best to buy it as early as possible.

Also, in the event you need a rental car and Tesla won't give you a loaner, they will cover a rental car for up to $40 a day for a maximum of 5 days. This means you would save a maximum of $200 bucks on a rental car.

Even though I am personally going to pass, it does seem like a legit product and may be attractive to some Tesla owners.

So the question is, is it worth $4,000 to extend the warranty for an additional 4 years and 50K miles.

Yeah, extended warranties are always a gamble. It is more like insurance than it is anything. It is pretty easy to hit $4000 in out of warranty repairs on the S or X, but we don’t have much data yet on what out of warranty repairs cost for the 3.

It is interesting that Tesla hasn’t offered an extended warranty yet 2 years in. Normally those are pure money makers for manufacturers/dealers because most people don’t end up spending that much on repairs during the warranty period. Maybe Tesla thinks they won’t make money on an extended warranty, which makes me want an extended warranty.

I have 34k miles on my 3 now. I will hit the end of my factory warranty early next year. I was planning to buy the Tesla product, but maybe I will look at this company. I would only be in their warranty period for another 2 years or so past my warranty expiration, so maybe they would still be in business in that amount of time.

Looks like my quote is a bit higher than the one above. I expect because I have more miles or my car is older.

2AB04CB7-6DBD-4488-B907-18885CD84C47.jpeg

I’ve never heard of this company. Do we know anything about them? How confident are we that they will be around in 8-10 years?

There is virtually no information other than an address about this company on their website.

I asked this question and they mentioned that the contract is backed by AmTrust financial and Endurance warranty. I saw that in the contract and looked up their reviews and seems really reliable.

I just got a quote from them. For my 2018 Model 3 with 8995 miles, it would be $3,200 for an additional 8 years/100,000 or $3,500 for an additional 10 years/125,000 miles. Since I drive about 10-12K miles a year and since I still have 3 more years on the Tesla manufacturer warranty, what I am really getting is 4 additional years and an additional 50K miles for $3,200.

If I were to invest this $3,200 instead and earned say 8% a year for 3 or 4 years, I could earn an additional 1,000 so the true cost would be about $4,200 (or maybe a bit less since I would have to pay some taxes on my investment return). So the question is, is it worth $4,000 to extend the warranty for an additional 4 years and 50K miles. If I drove a ton and put say over 20K miles a year on my Tesla, I think it would be worth it. But since I still have 3 years and 40K miles on the manufacturer warranty and 8 years on the battery and motors, I am inclined to pass.

Two other interesting points. On their website, they ask the question why by it now if you still have the manufacturer warranty? They answered by saying it is because the older the car is and the more mileage it has, the more expensive it will be to purchase the same coverage. So if you are going to buy this type of extended warranty, best to buy it as early as possible.

Also, in the event you need a rental car and Tesla won't give you a loaner, they will cover a rental car for up to $40 a day for a maximum of 5 days. This means you would save a maximum of $200 bucks on a rental car.

Even though I am personally going to pass, it does seem like a legit product and may be attractive to some Tesla owners.

All good points and yes every single person is going to think about this differently. I had a 2014 Model S and $4k-5k for a warranty i would say is worth it after going through a MCU replacement, AC issues, and leaky air suspension - and I would say that i didn't have it as bad as others. but to each their own.

For my P3D, im questioning the cameras, onboard charger, MCU, and harness. maybe it will pay out, but if it doesn't then oh well.

I asked this question and they mentioned that the contract is backed by AmTrust financial and Endurance warranty. I saw that in the contract and looked up their reviews and seems really reliable.

Would it be possible to post a copy of the contract so we can review it? Also, did you ask them how long they have been in business providing extended warranties, and how many they currently have under contract?

Reactions: C141medic
Would it be possible to post a copy of the contract so we can review it? Also, did you ask them how long they have been in business providing extended warranties, and how many they currently have under contract?

The contract is on their page: Terms & Conditions - Xcelerate Auto

Thats how i asked the question. They answered about AmTrust Financial and Endurance. I knew of AmTrust already and they are a huge bank thats been in business for a very long time. I looked up Endurance and they surprisingly had really good reviews.

Top 3,782 Reviews about Endurance Auto Warranty

I feel in the minority here, but....
I bought my Model 3 with hopes that it's simpler drive train would be far easier to maintain. Warranties are always a gamble. I've already put 34K trouble (and maintenence) free miles on my Model 3. I also bought my Tesla because I believe that the company will prosper. Significantly. So the gamble that I will be taking is to not spend $3K or $4K on an extended warranty, but rather I will invest that money in TSLA stock and see if I gambled correctly.... Only time will tell! Certainly this decision does not make sense to everyone. I just bought some TSLA at $211 on Monday 8/26, so we can look back at this post in the future and see if I'm an idiot or not....

Personally - no warranty for my 3. It’s simpler car with higher volume (so aftermarket parts have a chance of eventually appearing) AND I can afford a “surprise” out of my rainy day savings.

The S is giving me second thoughts due to a higher than normal perceived risk of MCU failure due to the memory chip. However I’ve had no significant issues yet and I’m a high mileage person so miles run out long before months.

My mobile service guy said he really doesn’t see many high cost issues. Yes, he said they happen, but his feeling was they were not common.

The contract is on their page: Terms & Conditions - Xcelerate Auto

Thats how i asked the question. They answered about AmTrust Financial and Endurance. I knew of AmTrust already and they are a huge bank thats been in business for a very long time. I looked up Endurance and they surprisingly had really good reviews.

Top 3,782 Reviews about Endurance Auto Warranty

Thanks. Looks like it’s 10 pages long. I’ll try to review it later. Did you look through it to see if anything stands out?

But, my mobile service guy said he really doesn’t see many high cost issues. Yes, he said they happen, but his feeling was they were not common.

I would guess all the high dollar stuff happens at the service centers. All the high dollar repairs on our 2015 S have been at the SC, not mobile. (MCU replaced, rear suspension rebuilt). Luckily, we are under warranty still, so haven’t actually paid yet.

Punched in my data for a custom quote, and 10 mins later, I realized it had given me an error. You have to scroll to the bottom of the page, because what you see is the screen thinking, not realizing it had an error.

Anyway, it didn't like my VIN, since it wasn't capitalized?!? Even fixing that, seems to be quite slow. I'm gonna walk away from the computer, that'll fix it.