Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree but a few years when I called our local Service Center in STL they told me NO. Hence my question.

Possibly they misunderstood the question and thought you were asking if they'd file a claim or something for you?

Because AFAIK the way this warranty actually works-you just do the repair and at the end give the service center the # for Xcare and they call them and get a CC # to pay the bill right then and there.

Reactions: XCare EV
Some warranty providers require prior authorization before the work is performed. I could see Tesla not wanting to call the warranty provider and seeking authorization prior to doing the work. And the paperwork signed at check in would state that the owner is responsible for payment, so Tesla is going to hold the owner accountable for the bill anyway. But if it’s as simple as getting a credit card number from the warranty provider and running the charge I can’t see what the problem would be.

Reactions: XCare EV
So priced my 17 MX with nearly 50k miles on it...

Way too high....

I'm considering the tesla warranty which is about 5k for additional 4 years and 50k miles.

So this is EXACTLY apples to apples.

Not quite - X-Care includes things like roadside assistance, free towing to service center, and rental car coverage ($50 per day for 5 days) and its half the deductible of Tesla's ESA ($100 vs $200).

Also given my experience with tesla. 5 days of loaner coverage is not enough to be comfy. And it only covers $40/day.
So I'm going to give in my $100k model x and rent a corolla??? Nah!

As of right now, Tesla still supplies loaners to everyone with work that requires more than a handful of hours. We provided the rental car coverage just incase loaner allocation policy from Tesla ever changes, at least you have something to fall back on. Of course, if you get a loaner, you don't have to rent a car.

@X-Care EV : Can you please confirm the DATES listed in the above photo? The "Coverage until..." numbers. There's no month 13 or 15 so I don't know what format it's supposed to be in; mm/dd/yyyy or dd/mm/yyyy.

This is a coding error - we apologize in advance. Our team is already working on a fix. but the Warranty starts after 30 days once purchased - so for that specific example, it would be "1/15/2024" for the 4yr/50k. This will be fixed soon.

I agree but a few years when I called our local Service Center in STL they told me NO. Hence my question.

Tesla does not work with traditional 3rd party warranty companies. that is because, traditional warranty companies require that the service center call the administrator directly to start the claim, tell them the issue, they then negotiate on who orders parts, and the warranty holder might even send an inspector out to validate the issues. Obviously, all of this puts a large strain for the front of house for Tesla Service and prolongs their process. We created X-Care to specifically work around Tesla Service. We do not ask Tesla to call us to start the claim (you call us), they determine whats wrong, they get their own parts, we don't send inspectors. We put 100% of trust in Tesla Service to diagnose and fix their own vehicles, all we do is pay for the bill.

This is what makes X-Care different than anything else - it was specifically built to work around Tesla Service.

Attachments

• Claims Process.pdf
    232.8 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: DennyL and Gasaraki
Not quite - X-Care includes things like roadside assistance, free towing to service center, and rental car coverage ($50 per day for 5 days) and its half the deductible of Tesla's ESA ($100 vs $200).

Interesting.

I didn't know tesla Esa had a deductible... Good point.

Roadside/towing is a cheap service. I'm sure tesla Esa also provides but if not then that is a slight benefit. Worth about $75 per year...

As of right now, Tesla still supplies loaners to everyone with work that requires more than a handful of hours. We provided the rental car coverage just incase loaner allocation policy from Tesla ever changes, at least you have something to fall back on. Of course, if you get a loaner, you don't have to rent a car.

I doubt loaners will be given once warranty is up. Maybe it's a glitch for now. I don't think it's standard in industry to give a loaner when working on a car outside of warranty.

Now with teslas Esa that's more likely. If someone knows for sure regarding this please post.

Also if someone knows about tesla Esa providing roadside/towing please post.

I doubt loaners will be given once warranty is up. Maybe it's a glitch for now. I don't think it's standard in industry to give a loaner when working on a car outside of warranty.

My Lexus dealer provided a loan for any service longer than 2 hours- didn't matter who was paying for the service... (service is a huge profit center for traditional dealers so why wouldn't they make it easy to use em?)

They did not provide roadside outside of warranty period though

Can I ask what happens if your Tesla gets totaled before the factory warranty is up (aka within the first 3 years)? Can you transfer it to a new Tesla (since you never really used the warranty in the first place) or are you just out the $3-4k and need to re-purchase?

Similar question, if your car gets into an accident that doesn't total it, but needs a large amount of repairs, is there any issue filing an extended warranty claim if one of those repaired parts is what winds up failing?

Can I ask what happens if your Tesla gets totaled before the factory warranty is up (aka within the first 3 years)? Can you transfer it to a new Tesla (since you never really used the warranty in the first place) or are you just out the $3-4k and need to re-purchase?

The warranty terms are built for a specific vehicle. It would depend on year, make, model, and odometer. All factor in for price. If your vehicle gets totaled before the end of the term for your warranty, then you can get a pro-rated refund for the amount that wasn't used. In addition, X-Care is transferable with the car itself if you chose to sell it.

Similar question, if your car gets into an accident that doesn't total it, but needs a large amount of repairs, is there any issue filing an extended warranty claim if one of those repaired parts is what winds up failing?

No there would be no issue filing.

Just a note.

Tesla ESA extended warranty contract does NOT provide a loaner. SC told me no loaner would be provided outside regular warranty. Kind of a bummer.

So xcare, does have that in their favor...

I feel in the minority here, but....
I bought my Model 3 with hopes that it's simpler drive train would be far easier to maintain. Warranties are always a gamble. I've already put 34K trouble (and maintenence) free miles on my Model 3. I also bought my Tesla because I believe that the company will prosper. Significantly. So the gamble that I will be taking is to not spend $3K or $4K on an extended warranty, but rather I will invest that money in TSLA stock and see if I gambled correctly.... Only time will tell! Certainly this decision does not make sense to everyone. I just bought some TSLA at $211 on Monday 8/26, so we can look back at this post in the future and see if I'm an idiot or not....

Well I think it's time to "look back at this post in the future and see if I'm an idiot or not...."
If you had taken $4K earmarked for an extended warranty and instead bought 19 shares of TSLA, it would be worth $29.5K today plus your 19 shares would soon becoming 95 shares :rolleyes:

So why didn't you try to convince me to buy in last year???

So if I had put the $60K towards TSLA instead of buying my car, it would be worth.....

(hmm.. 60000/211 = 284.36 x 1554 = .....) $441,895.44!!! Geez, I should have NOT bought my car but bet on the company that built it.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki
So why didn't you try to convince me to buy in last year???

So if I had put the $60K towards TSLA instead of buying my car, it would be worth.....

(hmm.. 60000/211 = 284.36 x 1554 = .....) $441,895.44!!! Geez, I should have NOT bought my car but bet on the company that built it.
Even better, should have mortgaged the house & taken out all the loans possible. Hindsight is, after all, 20/20.