Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X hit by 17 year old kid who just got his license, what now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have another question. Since Tesla or any approved 3rd party shops can't see the car until the first week of October. The car is just sitting in a tow yard. I asked them to plug it in and they said they couldn't (not sure if it would even power up anyways), is there any recourse if the battery loses range bc it went down to 0?

We took the driver in the following day and she had a mild concussion, but now some other other symptoms are showing up like nausea and leg numbness so going to get that checked out today.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Pricing would be value of the car prior to the accident. What a used car of same age, specifications and mileage would cost on the market. Something you should also discuss w/ the lawyer. There is a lot of flexibility in that analysis.

I have another question. Since Tesla or any approved 3rd party shops can't see the car until the first week of October. The car is just sitting in a tow yard. I asked them to plug it in and they said they couldn't (not sure if it would even power up anyways), is there any recourse if the battery loses range bc it went down to 0?

We took the driver in the following day and she had a mild concussion, but now some other other symptoms are showing up like nausea and leg numbness so going to get that checked out today.

The main battery shouldn't degrade. The accident deployed the air bags which will blow the pyro-fuse disconnecting the main pack from the car. With no vampire drain the main pack will last a long time. Yes, the 12v will drain. But not a bit deal - easily replaced if necessary.

ouch.....this makes me think twice before doing spirited runs through the neighborhood.

i don't understand how the adjuster can't see this is a totaled car. frame is shot, all airbags are out. just the battery alone is going to be 20k.

care to share the dashcam footage?

Probably is an inexperienced adjuster and not used to the inflated costs of repairing luxury vehicles. They are probably thinking "this much damage would cost $30k to repair for a Camry and the Tesla is worth $80k" without really thinking through the actual costs involved. I would definitely push the adjuster, they will quickly come to the conclusion it's not worth repairing this.

Reactions: Mrcook4590
ouch.....this makes me think twice before doing spirited runs through the neighborhood.

i don't understand how the adjuster can't see this is a totaled car. frame is shot, all airbags are out. just the battery alone is going to be 20k.

care to share the dashcam footage?

THe night before the dashcam usb was full, so I took it inside to delete and forgot to reinstall it. SUPER fortunate that neighbor had a nest camera.

They're concussion symptoms- see a doctor quickly

The main battery shouldn't degrade. The accident deployed the air bags which will blow the pyro-fuse disconnecting the main pack from the car. With no vampire drain the main pack will last a long time. Yes, the 12v will drain. But not a bit deal - easily replaced if necessary.
Definitely agree on this, as I’ve had experience with my model 3 sitting in a cold NY winter with minimal loss. Even if they wanted to charge it, they wouldn't be able to until the pyrofuse was replaced.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
I hope your family members are not seriously injured.
A car is a material thing. It can be repaired or replaced.
My MS had similar damage; USAA wouldn't even discuss adding the cost of rental, lost work time and other factors into the equation.
It took over 3 months to get a strut. It was the last part to arrive.
As soon as I had a "solid" repair completion date I ordered a new MS.

Update, after close to 2 months. Insurance quote was 31k, Tesla didn't have room to look at it until Oct 10th, and quoted 71k. Insurance coming back and waiting to see if that's enough to total.

If they don't come back immediately as a total, nudge them by reminding about the DV you'll pursue and the Tesla rental rate you'll demand.

Ouch, just order a new car and move on. Let them do whatever, get the payout and apply toward the new car. This is why I tell you guys to max out your rental car coverage too. For about $40 a month, you have $5000 to use on rental cars.

What insurance carrier do you have and/or what is the coverage you are referring to? During my quote-gathering every six months, the best rental option I've gotten was from Farmers, who had "$30 a day for 40 days". The rest were a standard "$30 for 30, $900 cap".