TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

X hit by 17 year old kid who just got his license, what now?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by frebay, Sep 6, 2019.

1. frebay

frebay Member

I have another question. Since Tesla or any approved 3rd party shops can't see the car until the first week of October. The car is just sitting in a tow yard. I asked them to plug it in and they said they couldn't (not sure if it would even power up anyways), is there any recourse if the battery loses range bc it went down to 0?

We took the driver in the following day and she had a mild concussion, but now some other other symptoms are showing up like nausea and leg numbness so going to get that checked out today.

• Informative x 1
  2. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Pricing would be value of the car prior to the accident. What a used car of same age, specifications and mileage would cost on the market. Something you should also discuss w/ the lawyer. There is a lot of flexibility in that analysis.

3. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

The main battery shouldn't degrade. The accident deployed the air bags which will blow the pyro-fuse disconnecting the main pack from the car. With no vampire drain the main pack will last a long time. Yes, the 12v will drain. But not a bit deal - easily replaced if necessary.

• Informative x 3
  4. frebay

frebay Member

Ah ok thanks. That's probably why it didn't power up anymore.

5. forkee

forkee Member

ouch.....this makes me think twice before doing spirited runs through the neighborhood.

i don't understand how the adjuster can't see this is a totaled car. frame is shot, all airbags are out. just the battery alone is going to be 20k.

care to share the dashcam footage?

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  6. DoctorVenkman

DoctorVenkman Member

Probably is an inexperienced adjuster and not used to the inflated costs of repairing luxury vehicles. They are probably thinking "this much damage would cost $30k to repair for a Camry and the Tesla is worth $80k" without really thinking through the actual costs involved. I would definitely push the adjuster, they will quickly come to the conclusion it's not worth repairing this.

• Like x 1
  7. frebay

frebay Member

THe night before the dashcam usb was full, so I took it inside to delete and forgot to reinstall it. SUPER fortunate that neighbor had a nest camera.

• Like x 2
  8. robski

robski Member

I'd never let my family back in that car. Turo renters, sure, but not my family. Just couldn't live with myself if something really bad happened. The everyday uncertainty would kill me too.

IANAL but IMHO the video hurts you more than it helps.

• Disagree x 1
  9. ash9.58

ash9.58 Member

They're concussion symptoms- see a doctor quickly

10. frebay

frebay Member

Update:
    Tesla said if I didn't want to wait another 3 weeks to tow my car to the Pomona Body shop they said I can tow it for Fremont or Las Vegas. I guess I should give them an A for effort?

11. m3snowy

m3snowy Member

While I don't have an X, I did come across the following video about a shudder fix TSB, fyi:

12. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.32.2.2

A couple years ago, a friend's Tesla was towed from Denver to Oklahoma City (nearly 700 miles away) for body work since the backlog in Denver was so long.

13. forkee

forkee Member

Many of us X owners have already gotten the appropriate repair. Works better than new with no shudder!

14. dennisvab

dennisvab Member

Definitely agree on this, as I’ve had experience with my model 3 sitting in a cold NY winter with minimal loss. Even if they wanted to charge it, they wouldn't be able to until the pyrofuse was replaced.

• Informative x 1