Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X Owner test drives new Model X Dual-Motor - Jan2024

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are my impressions of the Model X Dual Motor (likely 2023 model) based on my 40-minute Jan2024 test drive, suspension set to comfort mode and standard height.
This new X was a Dual-motor with Ultra Red paint, 22-inch wheels, tan interior, 5-seater.
My daily driver is 2016 Model X P90D Ludicrous+ with FSD Beta, on 20-inch stock wheels, vegan white seats with piping/ventilated. MCU2 upgraded.

SUMMARY : 2023 X base model is fast, it drives about the same as my 2016 Performance, but nicer and more luxurious interior, and better range/charging.

Benefits of new 2023 Dual-Motor X I drove, compared to my late-2016 P90D Ludicrous X
- Adaptive suspension is more comfortable on bumpy roads, even with the 22s.
- Interior looks much better, is much more luxurious, and is quieter.
- Acceleration is plenty fast, about the same as my P90D Ludicrous. Acceleration is MUCH better than the 2020 Raven Long Range I tried last year. This fast acceleration on the 2023 Dual-motor base was the biggest surprise of the test drive.
- Windshield seemed a bit sharper and clearer, with better tinting near the top.
- Faster and more responsive screen. Brighter and more colorful screen.
- EPA Range of 348 miles (vs. 224 miles currently on my P90D)
- More efficient vehicle, probably using 10% less energy than my 2016 if same wheels/tires.
- Supercharging speeds and curve way better, therefore better road tripper.
- 1-pedal driving all the way to a stop was great ( X got that feature in 2019 with Raven update ).
- Ultra-red is the best X color
- Lithium-ion 12V/16V battery is way more reliable compared to 12V lead-acid battery in the 2021 and earlier X, which can leave you stranded at any moment.
- Small touch-screen for 2nd row is nice.
- Bluetooth phone key is great, although I would still carry and use the bluetooth fob to open wing doors while approaching with my toddler.
- New ventilated seats probably work great, I forgot to test it. My 2016 ventilated seats make sound, but don't move much air.

Benefits of my late-2016 P90D Ludicrous X compared to new 2023 Dual-Motor X
- Around $40K cheaper to buy today, feels like mostly the same vehicle when not on road trips, drives about the same.
- Autopilot/FSD Beta experience is way better, there is no in-cabin camera nagging me. I have all new cameras that were installed by Tesla for free in 2023.
- Acceleration 0 to 30 seems faster than new 2023 Dual-Motor. Then about the same acceleration 30 to 90.
- I have a full set of ultrasonic sensors for proximity warnings.
- Driver door swings open wide when I approach.
- Touchscreen is same 17-inch size as new X. Vertical and integrated into the dash and angled toward driver is OK with me. Maybe easier to reach down low.
- Gloss-black shiny seatbacks look like a work of art. These were discontinued in early 2017.
- My premium audio system sounds the same as the 2023 X. Premium vegan 2016 front seats felt equally comfortable as new 2023 seats. Standard 2017 and 2020 seats felt not as good when I tried those.

Hope this helps. If anyone wants to discuss then please share.
screenshot-www.tesla.com-2024.02.06-14_06_42.png

I went from a 2016 to a 2022 and couldn't agree more about auto-pilot. I highly highly prefer the 2016 autopilot due to all the nagging and complaining you have to deal with on the refresh. I actually don't use all that much because it gets so ridiculously annoying. I would also add, the older model can change lanes, auto-park, and do the basic summons whereas in the refresh you have to pay 6K to have these features.

I went from a 2016 to a 2022 and couldn't agree more about auto-pilot. I highly highly prefer the 2016 autopilot due to all the nagging and complaining you have to deal with on the refresh. I actually don't use all that much because it gets so ridiculously annoying. I would also add, the older model can change lanes, auto-park, and do the basic summons whereas in the refresh you have to pay 6K to have these features.
It's "Autopilot and Autopark", there's no hyphen.

@Sunshine Speed, nice list. I thought it was interesting that the removal of the stalks didn’t make it to your comparison. I think that would top the negative list for many.

I have a similar comparison basis, with my 2017 model X and a 2023 model S. Things I would add to the list of better in the older car:
- able to have always-present trip data
- easier access to tire pressure
- can totally minimize radio/streaming interface window
- can easily change follow distance for autopilot

A puzzling thing to me in the new car interface/screen is that I feel they have not utilized the space well. The bigger screen doesn’t really allow more information available to me. For example, when I open the energy graph, it overtakes the screen just like it does in the model 3. It simply doesn’t need to be that big. I want it in a smaller window so that I can still see other information.

Pluses in the new car in addition to what you listed:
- interface with my phone and voice messaging works much better
- blind spot monitoring with the pop-up camera view
- able to remotely view the cameras

The things I like the best in the new car are range, charging speed and quietness.

I had a 2018 loaner before I purchased a 2023 model. I've had similar impressions as you.
What drives me absolutely bananas is that I have to fight the damn door every time it opens. Since Tesla removed sensors from the front doors, the feature is now not only useless but actually annoying to use. I hope the somehow fix this soon. It's aggravating to say the least.

I also found the 2023 to be as loud as the 2018 I drove and actually liked the screen orientation better on the older model since I could see the whole screen. Now a quarter of it is obstructed by the wheel, at least in the position I'm sitting.

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
What about the rear axle squad and tire wear?
Do you know if they change the rear axle geometry?
Did you notice front axle grind when accelerating hard?
Rear axle inner tire wear - I don't think that is fixed. And another problem is that the Refresh X defaults you to drive in "Low" suspension mode now, there is no way to permanently keep the car in "standard" suspension height anymore. This will eat up rear tires.

Front axle half shafts issue : I don't think that is fixed. The demo car was totally silent under hard acceleration, but I doubt that will last. But driving in Low suspension height will extend the life of the front half shafts compared to driving in standard/normal height.

How to fix both issues at once : I bought the N2itive Alignment Kit 1 and had it installed on my 2016 X last year. No problems since then even with lots of hard acceleration.

Reactions: KingRaptor
Thanks for the write up. If only I were richer I would have bought this instead as in Europe it’s the only way to get a 7 seater Tesla.

Curious about the point highlighted above.

If you are in a tight squeeze with other cars, how does the car do this with the door? Does it stop ajar or is this only when there is no car beside you?

Thanks for the write up. If only I were richer I would have bought this instead as in Europe it’s the only way to get a 7 seater Tesla.

Curious about the point highlighted above.

If you are in a tight squeeze with other cars, how does the car do this with the door? Does it stop ajar or is this only when there is no car beside you?
2022 and earlier : There are ultrasonic sensors. The door senses objects nearby and only opens wide enough to NOT hit things. It works pretty well overall, even in tight squeeze. It will open just a little bit in tight squeeze. Also, when it's raining and I'm carrying large things in both hands, it's awesome when it swings open as I walk up and I get in quickly, then press brake pedal to close. Note that 2016 to 2018 Xs need the "Premium Upgrades Package" to have self-presenting driver door, eventually this PUP was included on every X, I think around 2019. Note that I have only tested this using Bluetooth key fob (2016 to 2021). I have not tested this with Bluetooth phone-as-key (2022).

2023/2024 : Driver door opens a few inches when you are nearby, then you pull it open the rest of the way. Maybe some Vision/Camera upgrade will happen later, but not yet.

Reactions: uxixu and nemuro
I have a 2016 Tesla X with FSD and been contemplating the new X, especially because of the current promotion where I can transfer the FSD and free supercharging. I test drove the new X the other day and I 100% agree with all observations here and appreciate all the input! What to do??? Interest rates are bad right now but I think great opportunity to transfer two great perks my car has.

Here are my impressions of the Model X Dual Motor (likely 2023 model) based on my 40-minute Jan2024 test drive, suspension set to comfort mode and standard height.
This new X was a Dual-motor with Ultra Red paint, 22-inch wheels, tan interior, 5-seater.
My daily driver is 2016 Model X P90D Ludicrous+ with FSD Beta, on 20-inch stock wheels, vegan white seats with piping/ventilated. MCU2 upgraded.

SUMMARY : 2023 X base model is fast, it drives about the same as my 2016 Performance, but nicer and more luxurious interior, and better range/charging.

Benefits of new 2023 Dual-Motor X I drove, compared to my late-2016 P90D Ludicrous X
- Adaptive suspension is more comfortable on bumpy roads, even with the 22s.
- Interior looks much better, is much more luxurious, and is quieter.
- Acceleration is plenty fast, about the same as my P90D Ludicrous. Acceleration is MUCH better than the 2020 Raven Long Range I tried last year. This fast acceleration on the 2023 Dual-motor base was the biggest surprise of the test drive.
- Windshield seemed a bit sharper and clearer, with better tinting near the top.
- Faster and more responsive screen. Brighter and more colorful screen.
- EPA Range of 348 miles (vs. 224 miles currently on my P90D)
- More efficient vehicle, probably using 10% less energy than my 2016 if same wheels/tires.
- Supercharging speeds and curve way better, therefore better road tripper.
- 1-pedal driving all the way to a stop was great ( X got that feature in 2019 with Raven update ).
- Ultra-red is the best X color
- Lithium-ion 12V/16V battery is way more reliable compared to 12V lead-acid battery in the 2021 and earlier X, which can leave you stranded at any moment.
- Small touch-screen for 2nd row is nice.
- Bluetooth phone key is great, although I would still carry and use the bluetooth fob to open wing doors while approaching with my toddler.
- New ventilated seats probably work great, I forgot to test it. My 2016 ventilated seats make sound, but don't move much air.

Benefits of my late-2016 P90D Ludicrous X compared to new 2023 Dual-Motor X
- Around $40K cheaper to buy today, feels like mostly the same vehicle when not on road trips, drives about the same.
- Autopilot/FSD Beta experience is way better, there is no in-cabin camera nagging me. I have all new cameras that were installed by Tesla for free in 2023.
- Acceleration 0 to 30 seems faster than new 2023 Dual-Motor. Then about the same acceleration 30 to 90.
- I have a full set of ultrasonic sensors for proximity warnings.
- Touchscreen is same 17-inch size as new X. Vertical and integrated into the dash and angled toward driver is OK with me. Maybe easier to reach down low.
- Gloss-black shiny seatbacks look like a work of art. These were discontinued in early 2017.
- My premium audio system sounds the same as the 2023 X. Premium vegan 2016 front seats felt equally comfortable as new 2023 seats. Standard 2017 and 2020 seats felt not as good when I tried those.

Hope this helps. If anyone wants to discuss then please share.View attachment 1016013
Couple points/opinions as a new 2023 Model X owner, but also former 2018 & 2019 Model 3's.

LOVE my Phone Key for 5+ years now of Model 3 life and the new X update for Ultra-Wideband has been prefect since installing for me. I haven't carried a key or fob in years now, just leave my work keys in vehicle and use the app to open door prior to arrival if needed.

Screen might be the same size but the clarity, responsiveness and horizontal orientation (not sunken in the dash) is much better usability IMO. Plus power tilting is a step up from the Model 3/Y world.

Performance-wise a Refreshed LR is about equal to what was the P100D Model X, and has the same "no fade" performance as the Plaid. I noticed that off the line its a bit slower than my Performance 3 but pulls wayyyy harder in upper speed ranges. 670HP is no slouch for sure!

Yes, HW4 is currently restricted in a few ways but its potential is there, including the newer 5MP cameras which as night and day better than the HW2.5 or HW3 parts I had in my 3's.

Guessing you didn't turn up the stereo too much because by far the new system is better. has nearly double the speakers (22 vs. 12) and a l lot more power, 960w vs the under 600w listed on the older system. Clarity and soundstage is better than even the Model 3 Premium system which I believe (and many others) was the best OEM system on the market.

Here's a great link to bookmark comparing the current vs. previous generation Model X. I'm sure you can find even more under the skin vs. you older gen X.

So many people complain about the doors but they don't frustrate me. It seems like the motors help you move them if you give them 1 second before trying to open them. The only time it was annoying was when it was raining buckets and I was trying to get in the car ASAP
Same, and considering the Holiday Update Light Shows with the HW4 doors CAN open to different designated angles it's only a matter of time IMO for them to be fully open user capable. 🤞

I'm test driving a 2023 (or 2024?) X with FSD. The nagging is constant and it disengaged just cause I looked at the screen. There are several pluses for upgrading from my 2016 X with FSD (now that I can transfer FSD and lifetime charging), but FSD seems almost useless in the new X compared to my 2016 X.

I have been testing self driving and found it to be vastly improved in the latest update. I also think having the yoke makes a difference in how sensitive the nagging becomes. I drove on local roads yesterday after sunset and it performed well. It didn’t need a single correction and made no mistakes. It still creeps at stop signs and when making turns but it’s better than before. This is on an X with WH4.

I'm test driving a 2023 (or 2024?) X with FSD. The nagging is constant and it disengaged just cause I looked at the screen. There are several pluses for upgrading from my 2016 X with FSD (now that I can transfer FSD and lifetime charging), but FSD seems almost useless in the new X compared to my 2016 X.
As of today, you can physically block the internal camera with solid tape or one of those camera blocking sliders - autopilot will not complain (can't say about FSD). I noticed it also cannot see through sunglasses because it's just a camera not infrared so there are limitations on current cars. However, choose your path to proceed - convenience or risk/liability.

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
Actually a base model refreshed model x and model s is actually quite a bit faster than even a 2020 performance raven model s and x. Pretty much all teslas and most electric car no matter how high the horse power all seem to hit a wall and accelerate significantly slower at about 80-100mph. Tesla seem to fix this issue with both the refreshed model s and x in both the base model and the plaid. A base model s non plaid refreshed 2021 + traps the 1/4 mile at 129-130mph which is faster than the pre fleshed performance by quite a lot.

Guessing you didn't turn up the stereo too much because by far the new system is better. has nearly double the speakers (22 vs. 12) and a l lot more power, 960w vs the under 600w listed on the older system. Clarity and soundstage is better than even the Model 3 Premium system which I believe (and many others) was the best OEM system on the market.

My 2016 X sound system is night and day better than my 2024 X sound system.

Not even close. Even my kid can tell the difference.