Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X vs S - what am I missing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's great. Clearly the vast majority of people are not having issues. I think it is reasonable to expect that the doors, which are very complex devices, are likely to be very expensive to fix if they fail when out of warranty. 4-10 down the road, no one, even Tesla, knows how they will hold up. If Tesla was certain they doors were bulletproof, they would offer a lifetime warranty covering the FWDs. They do not and there is a reason they do not.
Let me just point out the same statements were made about electric windows when they came out and there were plenty of problems with those too early on. Now how many cars come with crank windows?

I admit I'm a Tesla noob. I ordered a Model S60 with AWD, Pano roof, and leather seats yesterday.

Today I stopped by the dealership with my wife just to show her the S in person. We started looking at the X. I had never considered it because I assumed it was significantly more expensive.

Then I priced out an X that (as far as I can tell) has the same options as my S. AWD is standard and there's no such thing as a pano roof, so the only thing I added was leather seats.

My S price: $77,500
My X price: $79,000

Why would I not order the X? As far as I can tell it's more spacious, the gull wing doors seem awesome, and it's bad-ass looking just like the S.

Any help would be appreciated.
I used to think the same then realized that the panamera is much more expensive than a cayenne for instance.

Why? More mature, better acceleration, better range.. 60 kWh battery seems to work with the S.. I don't know about the X.. I mean advertised 200 mile battery..I would not be surprised if tesla bumped the result up to not disappoint. We'll see what the EPA says. You get 10 pc of more range on the S.. Kind of matters.

As far as looks it's all relative. But I think if I poll 100 people around and ask which car has the better look.. I would think 90 of them would side on the S

The advantage the X gets with child seats in the second row completely takes away the usefulness of the third row seats for anyone over 5' 4". Child seats in the X 3rd row are ridiculous to install, even with latch that you will never want to move them. The rear facing seats in the S are useful.

The S is harder to get in and out of no question. I had a setting in my profile to move the seat back and move the steering wheel up so I can get in and out of the car. My 75 year old mother hated getting out of the S. I'm sure she would love getting into and out of the X though.

The X windshield is amazing. The Pano roof open and the front windows down almost feels like a targa top. I'd miss that experience with an X.

to the OP, I recommend asking your SC for a 24 hour or weekend long test drive of both vehicles.

My MX has been at thE SC for jusr over a week and by the time I get it back, will be nearly 2 weeks (I took delivery on July 8th). This is not a rant about my MX, but more so about the MS loaner that they gave me. Getting a P90DL was definitely fun for a few drives, but I miss my MX because of the space. I'm a big guy and I hate getting in and getting out of the MS. It is definitely not as roomy as my MX. Plus they gave me an ugly white coloured car to top it off. :/

Reactions: davidc18
[QUOTE="
They're really trying to move cars this month too. They're waiving the destination fee ($1,200) for all cars delivered in September. I have to admit I'm tempted to push my delivery to October or November (losing that $1,200), only because they're on the cusp of shipping with new AP hardware and I'd hate to miss it by a month or two.
[/QUOTE]
Where did you learn about the $1,200 destination fee waiving for September delivery? Thanks.