Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X75D full charge miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not higher than a 90D.. it is exactly 90D's range I think. X90D is at 257 miles. So 90% would be 231. Maybe they give you one of the older 90D and re-badged it as 75D.

All the new ones are 100D anyway (with software limited to 270 miles).
Hopefully there is a 90 battery. However I have my single charge from 27%to 90% and the dash show +46kw which is about 73kw in total usable battery. I am curious that while the dash show +46kw but +50.2kw showed from the 3rd party EV charging station. I heard that there is 90% translation rate from the charger to a tesla?

My 90% is nearly the same: 202 miles. 100% is 223
(Hey, how did you get a 2017? I ordered mine in September but it was delivered in December so it's a year older than yours!)
Mine was delivered April 2017...I had it delayed 6 months which is good as I got AP2 and would have gotten AP1 if taking delivery earlier

I have 32k miles, how many do you have since you have similar rated miles?

My 75D gives about 100 (max 125) miles on a 90% charge. It has about 4000 Miles on it.

The SC kept telling me the Wh/Mi should be below 311 and since I had average of 343 I am not getting the stated range. They also said I need to have the range mode on all the time. With the range mode, I can't heat without having the heater on HI (otherwise it just blows cold air!).

I never floor the vehicle unless I am trying to avoid an accident and I mostly use AP. No matter what I do the car rarely goes below 311 Wh/Mi. When I charged my car to 90% and started driving, it just starts off at about 800 Wh/Mi, sometimes even over a 1000! And it just doesn't drop down to below 311.

I do sometimes get it to be under 311 Wh/Mi, and again, has nothing to do with my driving habits. It's just random!

Does anyone have similar issues? SC refuses to acknowledge that there is an issue. I am trying to see if I can hook up a camera to record the screen while I drive to prove that it isn't my driving that is the issue.

Last edited:
My 75D gives about 100 (max 125) miles on a 90% charge. It has about 4000 Miles on it.

The SC kept telling me the Wh/Mi should be below 311 and since I had average of 343 I am not getting the stated range. They also said I need to have the range mode on all the time. With the range mode, I can't heat without having the heater on HI (otherwise it just blows cold air!).

I never floor the vehicle unless I am trying to avoid an accident and I mostly use AP. No matter what I do the car rarely goes below 311 Wh/Mi. When I charged my car to 90% and started driving, it just starts off at about 800 Wh/Mi, sometimes even over a 1000! And it just doesn't drop down to below 311.

I do sometimes get it to be under 311 Wh/Mi, and again, has nothing to do with my driving habits. It's just random!

Does anyone have similar issues? SC refuses to acknowledge that there is an issue. I am trying to see if I can hook up a camera to record the screen while I drive to prove that it isn't my driving that is the issue.

Your experience is nothing like mine. I'd have to agree that there is a problem. I only look at 15 or 30 mile average for Wh/Mi. I don't think I've ever seen over 500. 300-350 is typical. I feel like temperature has a lot to do with the "random" feel of Wh/Mi.

• Informative
Reactions: bayx

You need to try a long trip and you'll get close to 200 miles....Many times I also only get 100-120 miles due to the fact I run a lot of short trips and errands or when it is cold. You can also lose miles overnight (vampire drain)...I sometimes only get 55kwh out of the battery rest being wasted on vampire and other inefficiencies ...Check the Since Last Charge display.

Again the best would be a long trip (100+mile) and things will become obvious in terms of whether there is a problem (unlikely)

• Informative

It’s normal to start off with 800-1000 wh/mi, especially in cold winter. It’s also normal for the 75D to have around 150-160 total real range in winter. When it’s below freezing, windy, raining or snowing, and making several short trips (vampire drain, repeated warming up, etc), your efficiency will suffer even more.

This winter for my one way commute (12 miles), I have experienced both horrible efficiencies (450-500 wh/mi) and great ones (320). If using the last 5 miles it occasionally showing as low as 250 because car is warmed up, it’s sunny outside so heating doesn’t work as hard, and the last stretch of regen when pulling off to the parking lot.

However, if you are averaging 343 wh/mi yet still only getting 100-125 mi for 90% charge (111-139 full charge), it’s not normal. 75D has roughly 72.5 kWh usable energy, and 72500/343=211, which means for a full charge you should get 211 miles. Are you taking lots of short trips? If you preheat the car a lot, I believe those energy are not recorded, which could explain your low wh/mi but also low range. Or is the 343wh/mi average over the life of the car? What’s your typical wh/mi from “since last charge”?

Last edited:
Assuming the battery capacity to actually be 75,000 Whr and using the 125 mile number that implies 540 Whr/mi and while it is quite possible to have consumption that high on short trips, particularly in cold weather, that number is well above what you should be seeing over all.

The SC kept telling me the Wh/Mi should be below 311 and since I had average of 343 I am not getting the stated range.
311 would be low around here (VA at this time of year) but perhaps in the milder SFO climate it is not. In any case it implies a 90% charged range of 217 miles for a 75 kW battery. OTOH the 343 Wh/mi you have been observing implies 197 mi range at 90% charge. Both numbers are at odds with the 100 - 125 range numbers you are seeing. This suggests that the problem is with the car's determination of the SOC. This happens over time as it is a bit tricky to estimate SoC with LiPo's as the discharge curve is pretty flat. It's only at the ends of the range (nearly fully discharged and nearly fully charged) that the cell voltage starts to change appreciably. The usual recommendation is that you discharge the pack to 10% or even a bit lower and then charge it to nearly 100%. Tji lets the BMS recalibrate itself and often solves the problem you describe.

They also said I need to have the range mode on all the time.
Nonsense!

It is not random and it does have something to do with your driving habits. Driving aggressively on a short trip into a head wind while its raining will get you consumptions of 400 Whr/mi or more. Driving gently down hill on a dry road with a tail wind in warm weather will get you consumptions less than 300 Whr/mi. See the scatter plot at 2018 x75 loses 8 miles over 16 hours parked

Certainly you are going in the right direction with your plan to look at more data but there are better ways to do it, such as the Stats App suggested in a earlier post, or TeslaFi, than using a camera. I would start with the recalibration procedure first though and see if that solves the apparent problem. I'm surprised the SC didn't suggest that.

• Informative
However, if you are averaging 343 wh/mi yet still only getting 100-125 mi for 90% charge (111-139 full charge), it’s not normal. 75D has roughly 72.5 kWh usable energy, and 72500/343=211, which means for a full charge you should get 211 miles. Are you taking lots of short trips? If you preheat the car a lot, I believe those energy are not recorded, which could explain your low wh/mi but also low range. Or is the 343wh/mi average over the life of the car? What’s your typical wh/mi from “since last charge”?

My daily commute varies from 22 to 33 miles. The 343 Wh/mi was for previous 60 miles that the SC apparently checked. My typical Wh/mi is usually around 350 Wh/mi.

I took a long trip and I just can't get over 125 miles on a 90% charge. I stuck to the exact speed limit, used autopilot the entire way and never once floored the car. Only occasionally I got under 311 Wh/mi. I am not sure what I should do next since the SC refuses to even check the battery because my average Wh/mi is not under 311.

Do any of you in California get less than 125 miles even when your Wh/mi average is around 350? If you are in the East Coast, what mileage do you get with around 350 Wh/mi average?

My daily commute varies from 22 to 33 miles. The 343 Wh/mi was for previous 60 miles that the SC apparently checked. My typical Wh/mi is usually around 350 Wh/mi.

I took a long trip and I just can't get over 125 miles on a 90% charge. I stuck to the exact speed limit, used autopilot the entire way and never once floored the car. Only occasionally I got under 311 Wh/mi. I am not sure what I should do next since the SC refuses to even check the battery because my average Wh/mi is not under 311.

Do any of you in California get less than 125 miles even when your Wh/mi average is around 350? If you are in the East Coast, what mileage do you get with around 350 Wh/mi average?

As an example I got 145 miles last week (100% down to 12%) and 348wh/mi....was cold and showed I only used 51kwh (would have been about 57kwh if I had gone go 0%)

so a lot was lost somewhere not accounted by trip meter.

QUESTION what does your 90percent shows in rated miles (mine shows 200miles)

Had an interesting charging experience...owned my x75 for a year never charged to 100. Noticed the 90% mileage was off so decided to charge to 100%. X wouldn’t go past 97% or 223 miles. Ran the battery down to 10% charged up to 100% again and this time hit 100% but only 226 miles, 11 off the rated miles (237) of a drop of 5%. Seems pretty consistent with the numbers above though.

My 06/2018 MX75D @ 100% was at 224 miles two weeks ago. I just turned 12,000 miles. The best 100% was 232 when new. Only charged to 100% a handful of time within a 1/2 hour of a trip. Daily charging between 80-90%. Mostly at 80%. Only been below 20% twice. Supercharge a couple of times a month.

I am in east coast and today (mid 30s to around 50F) I made a few short trips totaling 57 miles, my battery went from 80% to 46%, so 34% used. 57/34x100=167.6, which means if I continue the use pattern (multiple stops, vampire drain, etc) I should get 167.6 miles out of a full battery. The energy chart for the last 30 miles shows 341 wh/mi and 94 mile projected remaining range, which means if I keeping driving the car like I did during the last 30 miles, I should be able to get 94/46x100=204 miles out of a full battery. All these numbers are in line with my expectations.

I am very curious when you say “I can’t get more than 125 mi out of 90% charge”, how many miles you have traveled on what % of battery, and what does the energy chart say about your remaining range?

Attachments

• 833668EF-A7E3-4B8C-9E67-74D929434CFE.jpeg
    833668EF-A7E3-4B8C-9E67-74D929434CFE.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
I just got a used 2016 (25k mile)
November build 75D . I did a full charger yesterday and got 289 miles .I thought range should be 237 ??
Any ideas why ? View attachment 386026

You probably have the energy display setting, set to “Ideal” rather than “Rated”. Whatever is chosen in the car carries over to the app. Mine just shows percentage full. I couldn’t care less what the guesstimated range actually is. No more than I did back when I was eating gasoline.