Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xenon HID upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I'm at green events, I open windows, close the doors, arm the alarm and pop the trunk. I find amusing me when people reach in and open the doors from inside when they can't activate the outside door handles…. As the alarm goes off!

"I just wanted to see how heavy the doors were." was my favorite & most bizarre excuse.

Intersting question. The car was absolutely locked and armed. But there was no alarm. The digs in hte Starshield are do not go through (fortunately) and the scratches in the lens are not very deep. Maybe there was not enough impact. The damage looks like the fender of the truck or SUV brushed over the nose. I am having the Tesla store check the nose alignment also - it looks like it is angled down a bit from perfect.

Yes it stinks! insurance guys said not to file it since Tesla rates are surprisingly low. I pay less for my Roadter Sport than our Caddy Hybrid Escalade that cost half. Lets all keep it that way!

View attachment 3304For the first time ever I parked 1291 on the street, in front of the Apple store in New Haven while I ran in for 15 minutes. I came out and somebody had backed up over the nose of my car... probably some soccer Mom in an SUV and an iPhone to her ear. The 3M Starshield totally worked and the paint is fine so a replacemetn of the Starshield should do the job. Unfortunately the lens of the driver side light is scratched. Anybody interested in selling/donating their original lights? Or are the Halo's so outstandingly better?

Sorry to hear about what happened to your Roadster. Hopefully replacing the starshield will do the trick. I would have been happy to donate my "old" lights to you, but I don't have them anymore as I actually ordered my car with the xenon's. Tesla took the old lights back when they did the swap. The xenon's are a significant improvement so I would definately point you in that direction if you will be paying for new lights. Intersted to know how it all works out. Good luck.

I went to visit the D.C. store a few weeks back to meet Shaun Phillips and check out the Model S on display. An hour later, I found myself talking to customers about Tesla and my experience with the Roadster, had a girlfriend picking out Model S paint colors while holding a bag full of Tesla clothing and was sold on the Xenon headlamps. I thought Apple had sucked me in. Xenon's arrived today. Is there a market for the old headlamps?

photo-19.jpg

My buyer pulled out as he bought another set from someone local to him (no shipping!). There does seem to be a market though, with prices about $300-400. Doesn't make much of a dent in the money I laid out for the HID's but it's better than them gathering dust in the (crowded!) garage.

P.S. I LOVE the HID's still!!

Thanks Bonnie and Nigel. @Bonnie, my yellow lab, Stella, loves Tesla and smelling all of the new accessories shipped to the house. She is a happy pooch when she rides shotgun in the Roadster. The only downside is spending the following week vacuming copious amounts of yellow hair. @Nigel, sorry to have missed you in Sarasota. I'm sure I'll be back and will corrdinate a time to get together. I had a chance to walk around the SYC after lunch; beautiful facility. My client's own the boat "Two Wives."

finally, the xenons are available also in switzerland. suxxer got them installed and we've met yesterday evening to compare the lights. the difference is massiv. the light is much brigter and the angle far better. i will upgrade my car next week. i would like to share with you a few pictures we've made. i believe that driving by night is with xenon light much safer and more relaxing.
m.

XENON_IMG_4959.jpg
XENON_IMG_4960.jpg
XENON_OLI.JPG

Just had this done, interesting to see that the Tesla service center I went to actually had a wall marked up to aim and adjust the headlights.

I asked the tech if this was just for xenon headlights or part of the annual..Apparently they set the wall up just for the Xenon upgrades.....It would be nice if adjusting the headlights was part of the "safety check" portion of the annual!