Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM/FM Radio with MCU 2 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I'm just an old guy but I'm not ready to part with my XM/FM (even AM for sports) radio. Would anyone else be interested in campaigning for an option to upgrade the tuner at the time of MCU 2 upgrade? I know it can be done and I would be willing to pay up to an additional $1k to keep these features. I think the parts are about $500.

Anyone else interested in bugging Elon about this? What would be the most productive path?

I thought I would just pass on this upgrade but I was given a courtesy Model S while my care was having warranty repairs. This loaner has the MCU 2 and wow, what a difference! The interface is actually very usable now, even the web browser. I didn't think I would need the Netflix or YouTube as I figured I'd just fire up my tablet. Well, those features are also pretty kick ass.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
XM has live national news and sports broadcasts for professional and major college sports - which is not available on Slacker or other streaming apps.

If Tesla added a SiriusXM streaming app to the infotainment system, that would be better than a replacement for XM satellite radio, because the streaming app has more channels (including home & away broadcast for many games).

Unfortunately, the radio station I listen to the most is not on Tunein. I tried using my cell phone but that is a pain. I talked to the service center about updating the software if I did a self install as mentioned here "However, MCU2 does not provision the new tuner unless you enable it in the gateway’s internals.dat car configuration. It’s my understanding that all that needs to happen is to change ethernettunertype 1 to ethernettunertype 0 or you could removing that line entirely in the gateway and it’ll start to work."

He just looked at me with a blank stare so I think getting that done.

Hurry Elon, I want my MCU 2!

• Disagree
Reactions: markn455
Unfortunately, the radio station I listen to the most is not on Tunein. I tried using my cell phone but that is a pain. I talked to the service center about updating the software if I did a self install as mentioned here "However, MCU2 does not provision the new tuner unless you enable it in the gateway’s internals.dat car configuration. It’s my understanding that all that needs to happen is to change ethernettunertype 1 to ethernettunertype 0 or you could removing that line entirely in the gateway and it’ll start to work."

He just looked at me with a blank stare so I think getting that done.

Hurry Elon, I want my MCU 2!
It appear many locals are there but not all iHeart pulled all their stations from Tunein months ago. :(

The Radio is not included in the MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrade. The radio upgrade is an additional $500. The price does not change if you do it at the same time or come back later and have it added. As of today, the radio upgrade is not available. I am told it is coming and will be soon.

Our 2017 S (MCU1/HW3) is scheduled for the Infotainment Upgrade on 11/17, with the radio upgrade.

The upgrade is $2500. The price can be reduced by $250 if you agree to keep your current console display and not upgrade to a newer display. For an additional $500, we'll also get the FM/HD/XM digital radio upgrade - only losing AM radio.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Our 2017 S (MCU1/HW3) is scheduled for the Infotainment Upgrade on 11/17, with the radio upgrade.

The upgrade is $2500. The price can be reduced by $250 if you agree to keep your current console display and not upgrade to a newer display. For an additional $500, we'll also get the FM/HD/XM digital radio upgrade - only losing AM radio.

I just upgraded this past week. I talked and talked with them to find some way to make the upgrade less expensive. I have seen a post on this form that if you 'let Tesla keep your old MCU1' you can get it $1,000 to $1,500 less. Not True. Also, they never came up with the option of using my old display and saving $250. Not sure I would want to. The old display is less resolution and they have their own set of problems like turning yellow, bubbles, etc. To add the radio back, it is $500. As of this past week, the radio upgrade was not available. There is one owner here in Atlanta that is installing the MCU2 upgrade and the Radion upgrade. So, it may well be available as of this writing.

I have seen a post on this form that if you 'let Tesla keep your old MCU1' you can get it $1,000 to $1,500 less.

It is the other way around. If you want to keep the old MCU1/IC1 you have to pay an additional $1,000 core charge.

The old display is less resolution

No it isn't. The resolution is the same.

Got my MCU2 and FM/XM radio upgrade done on 11/19. All that I can say is WOW, what a difference. Was it worth the $3k price tag? I guess it depends on your financial situation. I don't have $$ coming out my ass, but I can afford it and pay my CC of in 2-3 months. So for me, I would say a resounding YES. The web browser is usable and the display overall is very fast. One thing that I really didn't think about was the Netflix, Hulu, Youtube and such. I figured without the upgrade I would just watch this stuff on my tablet, no big deal right? No, it is. Netflix combined with the Premium sound system is amazing!

It turns out that my MCU1 had issues. It wouldn't even complete the techs diagnostic tests. The web browser would not load anything. It took like 20 sec to change radio stations. Navigation loading was very slow. Sometimes just completely unresponsive. I'll pimp Tesla and see if they'll rebate some of the costs but I'm not holding my breath. The SC did document the problems.

So, I say do the upgrade. The $$ only hurts for awhile and you will have an interface that will bring a smile to your face.

Brought car in for radio tuner upgrade on 11/11/20. As of today they still don’t have the correct harness. Just gave me a loaner, but parts are nowhere to be found!
Well it does take a while to get the parts in stock. In general it takes about 2 weeks right now. Believe or not, there is more of a demand for them at the moment. Time will change that of course. For people wanting to do this, it is easiest to schedule it in the phone app for about 3 weeks in advance to give time for parts to arrive.

It's been about a month since I scheduled the MCU2 plus radio upgrade for our 2017 S. The original appointment was last week - which Tesla rescheduled because they didn't have the tuner. They're still waiting for the tuner.