Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM or AM?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am addicted to political news, and currently a bit of interest in weather, though living in California there really isn't much. On Sirius I am able to get Fox, CNN, BBC, MSNBC. They even have actual political channels for Left and Right and Center.

Is any of this available on the Teslas?

-Randy
Plus Real Jazz, Classic Vinyl, 40s, 50s, 60s as discrete channels, and Siriusly Sinatra, Blues...where else can you find all this pre-programmed?

Reactions: rxlawdude
I am addicted to political news, and currently a bit of interest in weather, though living in California there really isn't much. On Sirius I am able to get Fox, CNN, BBC, MSNBC. They even have actual political channels for Left and Right and Center.

-Randy
No evidence there will be XM on the Model 3. In fact, evidence against it.
For the MX, you must purchase the premium interior package to get XM.
For the MS, you must purchase the premium interior package AND the $2,000 panoramic roof to get XM.

And available on every road, everywhere? Like SATELLITE? Like AM stations at night?
That wasn't my experience with satellite services. Poor weather and you lose everything.

Recommend you download the following three apps and explore.

TuneIn.com (standard In car)
Slacker.com (standard in car)
Spotify.com (Bluetooth from phone or iPad)

You will be surprised by the content. I was shocked when I learned that people still use XM. Must be the rental car fleets and some unique content cases. It can't be for the audio quality as the three apps above will smoke XM.

Reactions: Ken7
Yeah really bummed about no XM radio option in the Model 3, It is all I listen to in my car and when I listen to music at home. Will either be streaming it from my phone or adding a portable radio for it in the car. Hopefully Tesla will listen and add it back in as an option for those of us who want it.

Reactions: rxlawdude

-Randy
It's actually available on the S. Although you won't get Fox, CNN etc., unless you have XM on your phone like I do. You can sort TuneIn radio for political stations. These are sorted conservative, liberal etc.

Hmmm.... I get Fox, CNN, BBC, MSNBC, PRI, NPR on my Sirius in my 2013 Volvo. Are you saying that there is a different service in the Tesla MS? Do you get TuneIn premium when you buy a Tesla or just the free account with no access to premium content like MSNBC?

-Randy

That wasn't my experience with satellite services. Poor weather and you lose everything.

Recommend you download the following three apps and explore.

TuneIn.com (standard In car)
Slacker.com (standard in car)
Spotify.com (Bluetooth from phone or iPad)

You will be surprised by the content. I was shocked when I learned that people still use XM. Must be the rental car fleets and some unique content cases. It can't be for the audio quality as the three apps above will smoke XM.
You are totally missing the point, but if I understand your contention, it's that CELLULAR SERVICE is in more places and more reliable than SATELLITE RADIO.
And my experience with satellite in the MS and in other cars for years is it works in 99+% of places, and when it doesn't work, move a few feet and it does. No cell service? Moving a few feet doesn't fix that.

Hey, if streaming meets your needs, cool. But there are obviously customers or potential customers that WANT XM and/or AM radio options.

On Sirius I am able to get Fox, CNN, BBC, MSNBC. They even have actual political channels for Left and Right and Center.

BBC and CNN are available through TuneIn (free). Fox/MSNBC are not. TuneIn online offers MSNBC if you upgrade your account but that doesn't carry over to the player in the Tesla. I've actually grown extremely fond of the ABC News streaming updates via Slacker. I used to cycle between cnn, msnbc and sometimes bbc / fox on the way to work but they often said the same things over and over again w/ large commercial breaks. The abc news channel is just straight-up small news segments. You can go online and change certain streamed channels to inject news updates as well if there is anything notable.
I don't miss XM at all and I'm glad I didn't pay extra for it.

Available on Slacker with better audio quality than XM

XM channel 18 is available on Slacker? And where is Slacker available? Not outside cellphone tower coverage, I would imagine.

Also available on Slacker:
JRoque said:
Device & app history
  • read sensitive log data
Identity
  • find accounts on the device
  • add or remove accounts
Contacts
  • find accounts on the device
  • read your contacts
  • modify your contacts
  • precise location (GPS and network-based)
Phone
  • read phone status and identity
Photos/Media/Files
  • access USB storage filesystem
  • read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
Storage
  • read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
Microphone
  • record audio
Wi-Fi connection information
  • view Wi-Fi connections
Device ID & call information
  • read phone status and identity
Other
  • retrieve running apps
  • receive data from Internet
  • view network connections
  • create accounts and set passwords
  • pair with Bluetooth devices
  • change network connectivity
  • connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi
  • full network access
  • control Near Field Communication
  • run at startup
  • use accounts on the device
  • control vibration
  • prevent device from sleeping
  • modify system settings
  • install shortcuts
  • uninstall shortcuts

JR

You are totally missing the point, but if I understand your contention, it's that CELLULAR SERVICE is in more places and more reliable than SATELLITE RADIO.
And my experience with satellite in the MS and in other cars for years is it works in 99+% of places, and when it doesn't work, move a few feet and it does. No cell service? Moving a few feet doesn't fix that.

Hey, if streaming meets your needs, cool. But there are obviously customers or potential customers that WANT XM and/or AM radio options.
I do understand something is better than nothing. However my experience in the Model S is that is more content than you can every want. I have access to Global Radio through TuneIN. I have unlimited music that I pick on my mini thumb drive. And spotify and slacker fill in the rest. I live in the DC metro area and cell coverage here is awesome with AT&T LTE. When it is not I switch to Verizon on my cell and "hotspot" the car to my cell.

If you are worried about privacy you gave that up the day you bought a cell phone, data connected car and credit card or touched a browser. If that's not enough if you had a clearance or a loan cleared through Equifax and others they have now filled in the blanks on data that you didn't want to share and that should worry you more than some slacker app.

XM channel 18 is available on Slacker? And where is Slacker available? Not outside cellphone tower coverage, I would imagine.

Upgrade to Slacker Premium and then you have access to every song/album - pretty sure the entire beatles catalog is there. So you could just play Beatles radio and have it play only beatles songs. It'll be better than XM quality as well (by a lot).

I've had XM in my ride for the past number of years ..... but will not renew.
The service is all that it claims to be, but I once mostly listed to news stations .... not so much now.
I now find that I rarely turn the radio on.

I'm curious .... "XM or AM?" Totally different venues. How about "XM or FM?"

Anyway, I much prefer to listen to my own music via wi-fi from my cell phone.
On trips, we listen exclusively to mystery novels downloaded onto the cell phone. It sure makes the trip shorter.