Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel paint protection/Opticoat

What kind of wrap are you getting for your car?

• Xpel or similar

• Opticoat or similar

• Both

• None

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 48 hours starting Monday to decide. I plan to take a trip to find out. So far my spider senses are tingling. I remember when TST was the thing two bottles costing $35 retail being charged at $500 to rub onto a car. Chipped up anyway. Now it's opticoat....

xpel now there's a difference. It's tint for auto body. $1500. Hmmm...OK. but I need to learn why both and required to stay 24hrs away from my newly delivered baby. Idk....

I have four cars that I take care of, two have opti and two don't. I can tell you that the cars with opti clean up much faster and have shown less wear and tear over the past three years than the cars that don't have it. I do a no rinse wash as needed and it's easy on the opti cars and a chore on the other two.

Based on this experience, and the visible results of a good detail job to originally apply it, I'm definitely convinced of the value. If you don't believe it will do anything for your car, then don't get it done. It does require making a financial commitment when you get the detail job done, so your level of comfort with the end result is definitely going to determine if it makes sense for you.

Merry Christmas!

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
I have four cars that I take care of, two have opti and two don't. I can tell you that the cars with opti clean up much faster and have shown less wear and tear over the past three years than the cars that don't have it. I do a no rinse wash as needed and it's easy on the opti cars and a chore on the other two.

Based on this experience, and the visible results of a good detail job to originally apply it, I'm definitely convinced of the value. If you don't believe it will do anything for your car, then don't get it done. It does require making a financial commitment when you get the detail job done, so your level of comfort with the end result is definitely going to determine if it makes sense for you.

Merry Christmas!

I like your "bottom line tone" Thank you. Merry Christmas to you too

....both treatments are 1800 after spending 90K..plus the tint 500, garage 1000. I'm just trying to turn off the spickette.

Merry Christmas!
Do the cars have Xpel also? Does the opticoat offer protection from scratches and rock chips?

Why do you need both? Why not just xpel?
Yes, I must be missing something here. As I understand it, Xpel is a paint protection solid film, while Opticoat is a liquid compound that is applied on top of paint to protect it. The goal of both is paint protection but physically they are rather different. I am unclear on why one would have both applied. Xpel is a thicker barrier and I would think offers better protection against rock chips and other physical impacts while still providing a glossy and easy to clean finish. Opticoat seems unlikely to offer the same level of protection against rock chips though user accounts certainly support its advantages when it comes to ease of cleaning and a nice glossy appearance.

Do the cars have Xpel also? Does the opticoat offer protection from scratches and rock chips?
No, I just did opti and the protection from chips is minimal. It did work for protecting the paint in a parking lot collision where another car's bumper rubbed up against our car and left paint transfer on my bumper. I was able to wipe the mark off using the opti cleaner, so I think it provided protection for that type of paint damage. A rock hit is going to do damage that opti can't protect against.

The people I know who do both use the film for impact protection and opti to keep the car looking good because it works on the film or the paint..

Xpel is for protection against rock chips etc. so I had it installed on the full front half of the car including hood as well as mirrors, rocker panels and the back bumper. Opti Coat pro protects the paint and makes cleaning super easy including bird droppings etc. My detailer first did a complete paint correction since even brand new cars have scratches and swirls. After Xpel was applied, he applied Opticoat Pro on the entire car to get an even look. I absolutely recommend it to anyone who drives a lot and wants their car to look new years after purchase.

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
So, just to understand better-you apply Opticoat to the Xpel surface, not to the paint ? Does it help the Xpel become more resistant or shinier somehow ?
Xpel: paint protection film that prevents against rock chips. You can apply to whole car, but it is quite expensive. So most people do the front. I did the full hood, fenders, both bumpers, door sides for $1600.

Opticoat pro: this makes your car glossy. It's like getting permanent wax. After this you can wash your car easily and don't need to wax, but can. This cost me about $800 for whole car.

You can get one or other or both. Depends what you are looking for.

Xpel: paint protection film that prevents against rock chips. You can apply to whole car, but it is quite expensive. So most people do the front. I did the full hood, fenders, both bumpers, door sides for $1600.

Opticoat pro: this makes your car glossy. It's like getting permanent wax. After this you can wash your car easily and don't need to wax, but can. This cost me about $800 for whole car.

You can get one or other or both. Depends what you are looking for.
What was the quote for a full Xpel wrap? My quote was $5100 for Xpel plus $2200 for the Opticoat. Maybe I need keep shopping around. I'm pretty sure I want to do a full wrap. I keep cringing whenever anyone gets near my car. I need to get rid of some of the paranoia of owning a new car.

Here's my two cents, Wife and I had our car Xpel wrapped (full hood, front and back of mirrors for $1000) immediately off the showroom floor when we got our model S in 2014. At that time, Opticoat was new and we splurged another $1000 for that. Frankly, I could tell no difference in the pearl white paint after opticoat. A friend who had the dark gray color Tesla, it definitely made the paint appear more shiny.
Now we are ordering a multcoat red Model X and red paint has a tendency to fade in the desert sun. So we will definitely pay for the wrap, we also have the rear bumper wrapped (seems scratches always show up on rear bumper). Because it is red we will most likely pay to have it opticoated. knowing what I know, I would not pay to have a white car opticoated. We have our car hand washed. Hope this helps.
Tinting is another subject...

What was the quote for a full Xpel wrap? My quote was $5100 for Xpel plus $2200 for the Opticoat. Maybe I need keep shopping around. I'm pretty sure I want to do a full wrap. I keep cringing whenever anyone gets near my car. I need to get rid of some of the paranoia of owning a new car.
I think full wrap was around the same price as yours. I asked 3 places for and the prices were all different. So best to ask around.

I have a friend who purchased a black P85D in 2015 when it was considered the top of the line Model S... He asked that I install Xpel on the full front only. I went over to his house yesterday to work on his new Raptor (this time Xpel on the full vehicle). He was very regretful for not applying the Xpel on the full Tesla...

It has nothing to do with the car itself, but instead the owner and the places and people they revolve around. I have had customers that only drive their cars on weekends... NO COATINGS, NO XPEL and their car looks like new! Yet some owners Xpel the full car because on a previous vehicle they learned that they can't be looking over their shoulder every single second to make sure their kids aren't using their vehicle as a drawing board...

Whatever the case, I always say that only time and experience will tell whether or not the choice was best suited for them. After all the opinions, comments and reviews... we are all living different lives. Take a look at where your Tesla is going to be and think about what is best for protecting it.

I am new to the forums...I felt this reply was appropriate... apologies if it isn't.