Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel - worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have a chance to attend a club meeting or other event with a lot of tesla there, it is informative to look at the "full wrap" as done by different installers. I can totally see there being Many hours worth of extra labor due to detail and attention between the different installers. I can see the right choice for someone being a basic partial wrap, or for full protection a basic full wrap, but paying more for more experience and effort to get (almost) no visible edges and OCD level attention to detail isn't a scam, it's payment for valuable services rendered. It may not be worth it to some who just want the protection. Either protects. Different cars can also get you to the same place and the same choice isn't right for everyone.

I do think that a really experienced installer (which isn't necessarily an expensive installer) is going to spend a lot less labor and material for the same work because they know the little tricks to get it right the first time without either having to redo it, or hope the owner won't notice a flaw and be ok with that. That's going to show up over time in the success of the business and the prices they are able to charge for equivalent work.

Just make sure you see their work so you aren't paying for one thing but getting another. Thus the beauty of being able to see lots of work at the same time at a club meet or such.

Haven't read all the posts, so sorry if I'm repeating, but for that amount you could get the car re-painted. So in 2 or 3 or 5 years, depending on how your paint looks, you could just have a brand new paint job if you like. And change colors if there's a new color you want.

Haven't read all the posts, so sorry if I'm repeating, but for that amount you could get the car re-painted. So in 2 or 3 or 5 years, depending on how your paint looks, you could just have a brand new paint job if you like. And change colors if there's a new color you want.

I did a full wrap on my Roadster. Sure, I could get a brand-new (not top of the line) paint job instead, but the original paint is fully protected against normal wear and tear, keying, and it looks brand new every day.

It's a good choice for people who want it to look great every day and maintain original paint.

• Love
Reactions: jason.tv
Feel like this is battle star sometimes, as in this has all happened before and will happen again (in other threads about the same stuff). Just the nature of the forums I guess. An 8-10k paint job was debated as being satisfactory by some and totally not as good as a factory job by others. With a wrap you are helping stack the odds of protecting that factory job (plenty of other threads about the quality of that job), though it's still no guarantee.

Also in the time between 0 and when you repaint, the self healing layer on xpel ultimate or similar films will keep it looking good while still protecting from some rougher stuff plus birds, bugs, eggs, etc. Basically if a person doesn't care about the accumulation of damage before repainting, then absent real bodywork level damage I don't see that person as being the type that would get personal value out of a wrap or a repaint. If they were truly planning a repaint "when it got bad enough" then I think they'd be happier protecting for the start vs. repairing.

I don't really think either a repaint or a high dollar wrap will make financial sense in terms of resale, so it's all about you being happy while you own it. I do suspect basic, well installed partial protection *might* be worth it in terms of improving resale by reducing the most common chips and other damage. I just don't like the look of partial film, so comes down to personal choice again.

Feel like this is battle star sometimes, as in this has all happened before and will happen again (in other threads about the same stuff). Just the nature of the forums I guess. An 8-10k paint job was debated as being satisfactory by some and totally not as good as a factory job by others. With a wrap you are helping stack the odds of protecting that factory job (plenty of other threads about the quality of that job), though it's still no guarantee.

Also in the time between 0 and when you repaint, the self healing layer on xpel ultimate or similar films will keep it looking good while still protecting from some rougher stuff plus birds, bugs, eggs, etc. Basically if a person doesn't care about the accumulation of damage before repainting, then absent real bodywork level damage I don't see that person as being the type that would get personal value out of a wrap or a repaint. If they were truly planning a repaint "when it got bad enough" then I think they'd be happier protecting for the start vs. repairing.

I don't really think either a repaint or a high dollar wrap will make financial sense in terms of resale, so it's all about you being happy while you own it. I do suspect basic, well installed partial protection *might* be worth it in terms of improving resale by reducing the most common chips and other damage. I just don't like the look of partial film, so comes down to personal choice again.

Good summary.

I'd rather save the money and have the car repainted every 4 years if it was going to be that expensive. I did Xpel Ultimate full front(fenders, full hood, mirrors, bumper, lights, etc). These are the areas that are most likely to get damaged even just by driving. The cost was $1395 and is about 40% of the car. The edges are all wrapped so you can't tell the Xpel is on there unless you get up close with a flashlight and start looking in wheel wells and open the hood.

For this amount of money to protect the most likely areas to be damaged, it was well worth it. The car never sees a car wash and is only triple bucket washed from least dirty to most dirty areas with multiple micro fiber mitts and grit guards. There are no swirls in the paint. None. I only park the car in low risk areas so protecting the full front was the only place it made sense to spend the money.

I went for the full wrap, twice now, for all the reasons mentioned here plus one more: it has allowed me to let my daughter, from the time she was 4, "help" me wash the car. Absolutely priceless in my book.

With the Xpel on, I don't sweat it when she uses the wheel brush to wash a side panel, or when she drops a drying towel on the ground and picks it right back up and keeps using it. Not a care in the world.

Just to give another point of view here. I keep finding videos of detailers showing off their work, but ignoring little things such as tools hanging off their belt, touching the paint of the vehicle.

A 'Premium' fee doesn't mean the installer is better.

Example of a professional installing XPEL (jump to 10:14):

Another example involving expensive vehicles (Bentley in this case):

So before you spend the money, look at reviews, I would even go a far as asking to watch them work on a car (maybe they have videos on YouTube), even if it's for a few minutes, it should give you an idea if they care about details like that.

Maybe I'm just too OCD about this, but I thought it was worth a mention.

I went for the full wrap, twice now, for all the reasons mentioned here plus one more: it has allowed me to let my daughter, from the time she was 4, "help" me wash the car. Absolutely priceless in my book.

With the Xpel on, I don't sweat it when she uses the wheel brush to wash a side panel, or when she drops a drying towel on the ground and picks it right back up and keeps using it. Not a care in the world.

Ok, just read this after writing mine. I'm too OCD for sure, because as a detailer-for-fun, that's just pure torture to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see videos of so called "premium" detailers wearing watches and rings and it just kills me.
Detailing has become one of the biggest cons of all time. Guys charging $1000's of dollars for work that any schumk can do.
The cost to get the right equipment is about $500, add $200-300 for good product and the most costly thing to me TIME.. 700-1000 for a paint correction detail is worth it to me from a meticulous detailer is worth it. Same goes for Xpel, 1500-3000 for a wrap (not the whole car) is worth it.. anymore than that is a rip off.
Too many detailers out there doing the "grand slam" rip off jobs..

Just to give another point of view here. I keep finding videos of detailers showing off their work, but ignoring little things such as tools hanging off their belt, touching the paint of the vehicle.

So before you spend the money, look at reviews, I would even go a far as asking to watch them work on a car (maybe they have videos on YouTube), even if it's for a few minutes, it should give you an idea if they care about details like that.

Ok, just read this after writing mine. I'm too OCD for sure, because as a detailer-for-fun, that's just pure torture to me.

I know your trying to justify your price but we get the same very very high end quality and perfection from custom shops that work on all sorts of 100k-1mil cars doing full wraps (not prefabs or machine cuts) for less than half the price out here on the east, and they have families too.

Not really justifying anything, don't need to...we have installations that cater to those looking to have great value and those looking to have the highest level of attention to detail as well. The only thing we don't offer is partial installations. Never been a fan of half a hood, or half a fender. IMHO, long term, full front panels are the best value and they look better.

The devil is always in the details, and for us, it's more than just laying down a piece of film, polishing a panel with machine, or applying a coating. It's not just WHAT is executed, it's also HOW it's executed. The marketplace is a great litmus test for what is of value. There's nothing wrong with providing a product/service that can be deemed a commodity, but making it "special" because you and your client are worth the experience. After all, anyone can by an EV...but only a few are fortunate enough to be in a place in life that they can purchase a Tesla and all that goes with it. Consumers are very smart and well informed...as long as you know what you're getting, YOU can decide for yourself if it's worth it.

It's not my place to judge anyone else or put them down for a choice they made, even if I don't feel it's worth it. In the end, it's simply two people getting together. One provides a service, and the other needs/wants it. You can do it with price as your 1st priority, or experience/value as your 1st priority. There a time and place for each to be of priority...when it comes to things like cars and all that go with it...let's face it...emotions and a sense of happiness, even if intrinsic, logic is usually secondary.

- - - Updated - - -

You are absolutely right. Unfortunately, in our industry, you cannot decipher from the guy that is truly an "artist" from the guy that has a fancy facebook page that does exotic cars, but is simply doing it for fame/$$$.

Truth is, that's really the case in any industry. Common sense, transparency, and logic usually are a good starting point for finding the right "guy/gal" for the service you need.

Client reviews on trusted places like Google, you divulge your name if you want to leave a feedback, or forums such as this one, are a great place to find quality people.

But someone once told me "just because you can brush your teeth, doesn't mean you're a dentist". And that struck a chord with me. I've been doing this for almost over 20 years and have devoted my adult life to my "career". I feel, along the way, I've earned my place in my industry and I provide a value that can only be appreciated by someone that values time and results. We solve problems...and how we do it, is one of the reasons for our success and why certain clients gravitate towards us.

Is that worth the price we charge, some may say no, but we're not here to please everyone. But for those entrusting us with their cars, money, and most important, their trust, we deliver every time.

As someone above mentioned, it's something trivial to some, but the experience of not worrying about your child washing a car with you. That to me is priceless. Some may tell him...you can just re-paint your car. But how much grief will he experience every time his little girl takes a wash mitt to the paint, not realizing her actions, and him thinking about the inevitable repaint and looking at that car every day. Life's too short. This man has solved HIS problem and he paid a price that he thought was of value to solving HIS problem. That, to me, is the essence of why we do what we at this level.

I think clear bra is not worth it... I got quoted 600 for the front bumper... Really, it cost about as much to repaint the front bumper... and repainting actually fixes scratches (say you actually scratch against a pole or another car while clear bra does not...

I really don't see the value of clear bra.

If I will own this car for like 8 years, I really don't care if there are a few rock chips, etc... and if I want to sell it and there are just too many rock chips... either next buyer deals with it, or I spend a few hundred to repaint the thing...

So do you still wax or polish the wrap, or how do you maintain XPEL? Is it as glossy as a freshly detailed vehicle?

Yes, you can treat the film similar to your clear coat...You can use your wax/polish/coatings as long as they do not contain petroleum distillates/naptha/kerosine...

You maintain it by washing it and if you'd like using our sealant/your favorite wax/polish/coating as mentioned above...

Yes! It will look great, especially since XPEL ULTIMATE is self-healing, so it wont show swirl marks and fine scratches from car washes, drying, etc etc...

I did a complete wrap on my MS with XPEL. Expensive (For me) - yes. But it was an east coast price - about half what you're getting quoted! The guy who did mine was highly recommended on here (And elsewhere) and has done a lot of Teslas. The wrap was outstanding my book, and I'm OCD.

Why the full wrap? Tons of reasons. I didn't want the front of the car looking great, and see blemishes on the rest. I didn't want the ORIGINAL paint messed up, and didn't want new paint on the car (Sorry, but it's never the same.) And finally, I knew I could wash the car with ONE (Maybe two) microfiber towels and ONR and I couldn't bother the paint or finish.

First time I "washed" the car with ONR, I was really disappointed with all the micro scratches I saw in the hood with a FRESH micro fiber, lots of ONR, minimal dust on the car and no pressure. I brought my wife in to the garage to show her the scratches - but by then they were gone. I was amazed! The finish was perfect.

If you're that anal/ocd, a full wrap is worth it. If you're ok with painting your car overtime and such - don't bother with the full wrap.

I had the front end wrapped with Xpel and feel that it was well worth it. I drive up to the mountains and desert often and my previous cars ended up with tons of scratches and rock chips. My Model S got hit by an errant piece of cardboard at high speed and the wrap still looks perfect!

As an Xpel installer my self and having put it on a ton of cars I can testify to the effectiveness. Vehicles that get film do look better than vehicles that do not a year later. But I never push film, it is always someone who asked me about it before I say anything. Working on over 600 Tesla's I absolutely believe every one should receive a protective nano or ceramic coating with a high degree of chemical resistants. I've seen so many with bad paint etchings in a very short amount of time from chemical damage(bird poo, bug enzymes, pollen, ect..). For film though I know its based on the person, will a rock chip ruin your day? Do you plan on keeping the car for a long time? Do you do a lot of free way driving? These are questions I use to qualify a film candidate. Some people really do not care about chips and accept it as fact of life, some people just want the peace of mind. Ultimately it is up to you to decide if there is value in the extra protection. If you chose that "ok, a rock chip is going seriously bother me" just do your research when picking your installer. My lead installer has been working with and installing Xpel for 9 years everyday, it's not something you can learn over night. Practice make perfect as they say. So is it worth it? Well if you never thought about it till you bought a Tesla, go look at your previous vehicle. Is there a lot of chips? Are you ok with that happening to your model s? Just my experience and 2 cents. Hope this helps! Thank you