Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y Performace vs LR?

ocdbape

Jan 25, 2021
NYC
The suspension and the wheels were a no go for me and I could not justify the extra money for the Performance Y and then purchasing new wheels/tires and coils. I was lucky enough to snag a Stealth Y last summer but with those being impossible to find, I would go with the LR and purchase the AB.
Your stealth should be an early build 2020. I ordered mine in January 2021. It was $59990 base price which qualified for $2k NY rebate. So if you got yours early before they lowered $1k after. The difference was $3k and that's enough for me to justify to spend that on a set of new wheels with all season.

avs007

May 14, 2021
PacNW
Aside: I've never understood why people buy winter wheels with their tires - why not just winter tires and pay the $100 for a shop to mount/balance twice per year?
Around here, there's always a long wait for appointments around the time that people need to swap winter/summer rubber. Also, the last time I had them dismount/remount my tires, when I was doing a L-R swap/rotation on my uni-directional, staggered setup... When they went to dismount, they placed the hydraulic press in the wrong location, and accidentally ripped the sidewall. They didn't have the tires in stock, so they couldn't fix it the same day. They threw the spare on, an sent me home to come back later... What they didn't tell me was they took out the valve cores of my front tires, but didn't put them back, becuase they never completed the L-R swap on the front wheels. They probably never noticed, because they happened to be runflats... But I sure as hell noticed on the drive home... They ended up replacing all 4 tires for free... But I noticed they replaced my Pilot Sport AS ZP (Runflats) with Pilot Sport AS3 Plus (Non runflats).. At least the AS3+ are not unidirectional, so I can just rotate side to side much easier.

So this is why I tend to only go to the tire store when I absolutely need to... I'll do everything else myself...

SaloonGoon

2020 PD3+ 2021 PDY 2019 AUDI R8P
Nov 12, 2019
Bay Area
Get the P; you won’t regret it. I like it more than my 3, by a large measure.

Attachments

• D1D83E8C-FAD7-4F3B-ABAF-110D6B3E88F7.jpeg
    D1D83E8C-FAD7-4F3B-ABAF-110D6B3E88F7.jpeg
    545 KB · Views: 26

Fourdoor

May 31, 2016
North East Arkansas
For me it comes down to economics and wheels. For an extra $8,500 I get lower suspension (that I don't want) spoiler (that I could give to $hits about) bigger brakes (I use regen almost exclusively when driving an EV) giant wheels with low profile tires (that I hate) and around a second faster acceleration than the "normal" MY LR or 0.5 seconds faster than the LR with AB. I would probably go with the AB or aftermarket equivalent, so lets just knock that $8,500 price difference down to $6,500. If I were to trade the 21" wheel and tire package to some sucker (oops, I mean "enthusiast" ) for his Gemini wheels and tires and cash, how much cash would we be talking about? That is 100% what it boils down to for me. Even with the full on MYP it would not be the fastest car I have owned, I had an EVO that I could click off back to back to back 11.5 second 1/4 mile runs in like clockwork, from what I understand the MYP is a high 11 second car at best... but a high 11 in the MYP is better than low 12 for the MY LR with AB :D

Keith

Clark_Kent

Jun 23, 2020
Smallville, KS
For me it comes down to economics and wheels. For an extra $8,500 I get lower suspension (that I don't want) spoiler (that I could give to $hits about) bigger brakes (I use regen almost exclusively when driving an EV) giant wheels with low profile tires (that I hate) and around a second faster acceleration than the "normal" MY LR or 0.5 seconds faster than the LR with AB. I would probably go with the AB or aftermarket equivalent, so lets just knock that $8,500 price difference down to $6,500. If I were to trade the 21" wheel and tire package to some sucker (oops, I mean "enthusiast" ) for his Gemini wheels and tires and cash, how much cash would we be talking about? That is 100% what it boils down to for me. Even with the full on MYP it would not be the fastest car I have owned, I had an EVO that I could click off back to back to back 11.5 second 1/4 mile runs in like clockwork, from what I understand the MYP is a high 11 second car at best... but a high 11 in the MYP is better than low 12 for the MY LR with AB :D

Keith
That's right. The fastest I've seen is high 11s and traps about 116 mph.

ucsdsig

Sep 10, 2016
Los Angeles
Went into my test drive expecting to order the MYLR. Drove the MYLR and really liked it. Then test drove the MYP and loved it. Can't go wrong either way.

parkds_nyc

Dec 23, 2017
NYC
Your stealth should be an early build 2020. I ordered mine in January 2021. It was $59990 base price which qualified for $2k NY rebate. So if you got yours early before they lowered $1k after. The difference was $3k and that's enough for me to justify to spend that on a set of new wheels with all season.
I was able to purchase a stealth from the last production run in late August (just after the amber tail light change). So I had the $1k price reduction and the full NYS rebate.

DayTrippin

Apr 30, 2021
Jax

Keith
That pretty much sums up why I ended up going with the MY LR. That and no matter what trim you have, the trap speeds are all about the same. So most of the time where I'll be using my car, the LR is about as quick as the MYP (from about 40 mph on up). Look at even the M3 trap speeds they are all very close and all grouped around the 115 mph range. Normally trap speed is a good indicator of HP. I find it odd that most of the tests I've seen have put the trap speeds the same for the MYP and MY LR. Where is the extra 50+ HP going?

From the car and driver tests of the 2020 models.

MYP
1/4 mile: 12.1 sec @ 113 mph

MY LR
1/4 mile: 12.7 @ 114 mph

I found this list that some of you might find interesting. A VERY long list of cars and their 1/4 mile times starting with cars in the 7's and up to 29 seconds. Interesting to see where the M3, MY, MS and MX fit in. The times they have listed for some of the Teslas are wrong but I just used the list to compare against the times I know my car is running and the others I've tested.

eleven24

Jun 20, 2021
Doylestown, PA
Test drove a P this weekend. Loved it. Ordered LR + induction wheels.

Why? I live near Philly & drive from DC to CT & while I could always get a set of winter wheels for the snow, the potholes live forever. It's worse when it rains and they fill with water and you don't see them. Not that the 20's will be impervious to them, but there's no way the 21's would survive.

Loved the drive of the P along with the look of the red calipers... envious of you warm weather Tesla owners. Although, if the infrastructure bill ever got passed and the roads were repaired along with the EV tax credit. Ahh.. if only.

Reactions: ucsdsig and pt19713

Mixman

Jun 2, 2021
Central Jersey
I am still on the fence, I could go either way MYP or LR. The longer they take getting me my LR the more I think about getting the P…….and I am sure Tesla is counting on that to sway more people to the P.

Reactions: MGsurf

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC