Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As most of us are drooling and waiting I read just about all the threads waiting for my MY. In doing so I read a post somewhere that one of the facilities have gone to 24/7 for building. If my memory is correct it was for th building in Texas. Which made me think... are the Tesla crews building MY (or any of the models for that matter) working around the clock? Man I hope not.... peeps need rest. Anyway, I’m fairly new to this and was just wondering if anyone knows. Thank you and enjoy your Sunday.

As most of us are drooling and waiting I read just about all the threads waiting for my MY. In doing so I read a post somewhere that one of the facilities have gone to 24/7 for building. If my memory is correct it was for th building in Texas. Which made me think... are the Tesla crews building MY (or any of the models for that matter) working around the clock? Man I hope not.... peeps need rest. Anyway, I’m fairly new to this and was just wondering if anyone knows. Thank you and enjoy your Sunday.

The machine that builds the machine does not rest! :eek:o_O:D

J/K.

Surely the humans work in shift.

Or not...:cool:
Transpo-teslafremont-1056653120.jpg

See no humans

MYP.jpg

3 shift at 8 hours gives you 24 hour coverage. The 24/7 you read about is the construction of the Texas plant. The Freemont location should be running 24/7 since it opened for efficiency purposes. It's a waste of resources to have a plant sitting idle while demand is high.

Reactions: Mtb2020
My last job was for Mercedes Benz at one of their North American assembly plants. Auto plants are divided into sections (and I'm sure Fremont is this way). We had a paint shop, which ran 3 shifts 6 days a week. We had two body shops, which weld all the metal parts together and were largely automated. I think they both ran two shifts 6 days a week. Then we had two assembly shops, one of which ran a third shift and the other didn't (the 24/6 shop made MB's SUVs, which are a big seller).

I don't know how Fremont is set up, but I wouldn't be surprised if their paint shop runs 24/6 and their popular assembly line (the Y) also runs three shifts.

Does anyone know if they still have the "tent" where they had a Model 3 assembly line?

My last job was for Mercedes Benz at one of their North American assembly plants. Auto plants are divided into sections (and I'm sure Fremont is this way). We had a paint shop, which ran 3 shifts 6 days a week. We had two body shops, which weld all the metal parts together and were largely automated. I think they both ran two shifts 6 days a week. Then we had two assembly shops, one of which ran a third shift and the other didn't (the 24/6 shop made MB's SUVs, which are a big seller).

I don't know how Fremont is set up, but I wouldn't be surprised if their paint shop runs 24/6 and their popular assembly line (the Y) also runs three shifts.

Does anyone know if they still have the "tent" where they had a Model 3 assembly line?

The last that I heard, they still had that and were also adding another for the Model Y.

Ok, so if they are running 24/6-7. Wouldn’t the Vin be assigned or we notified at all times of day or night? I don’t think I would be able to go back to bed if that happens.
Not necessarily. I don't know anything about how Tesla's systems work. But it's not uncommon in any business to have systems that must share data but don't have to do it in real time. So Factory systems may be building cars all day and spitting out VINs that go into a completed database at the factory. But that database may not sync up with the systems that match VINs to customers until a scheduled update that runs at say 6am pacific daily.

Again, I have no idea how any of Tesla's systems work or talk to each other, but the point is that just because they may be building cars 24/7 doesn't mean those would necessarily be assigned to customers 24/7.

Not necessarily. I don't know anything about how Tesla's systems work. But it's not uncommon in any business to have systems that must share data but don't have to do it in real time. So Factory systems may be building cars all day and spitting out VINs that go into a completed database at the factory. But that database may not sync up with the systems that match VINs to customers until a scheduled update that runs at say 6am pacific daily.

Again, I have no idea how any of Tesla's systems work or talk to each other, but the point is that just because they may be building cars 24/7 doesn't mean those would necessarily be assigned to customers 24/7.
Yeah that would make sense. My wife would be pissed if I got a text 2am.