Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yeah, I Bought A Digital License Plate.....sigh.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It won't matter soon as they are building out Pay-to-Use Timed express lanes and try to get people switched over to a transponder. So you could effectively be tracked by that or your digital plate in the future.
Yea, we have a few of these reversible pay per mile in Atlanta now and they are adding more all the time. HOVs only head into the city now. All outside are Express lanes. We have a windshield electronic (Peach) pass sticker. Just got mine a couple of days ago.

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 6.50.30 PM.png

So it is $1150+$650 for the first year? How does that make it a better choice? If anything that makes it worse IMO.

I dont know what the actual cost was for the OP. I dont know what the 1150 included. The cost of the plate is not relevant to the OP's issue. It just isnt. Might as well talk about the cost of the model 3 performance vs the standard version because " you cant go that fast legally anywhere anyway".

The OP was talking about what a poor experience owning the product was, which is helpful for anyone who might have even been considering the product.. which I find very helpful. Even if one doesnt find it helpful, why all the focus on the cost, other than to try to pile on, for some reason?

As @Glamisduner mentioned, I thought about the digital license plate for the sole purpose of not having to apply the HOV decals. Of the two dealers in my area, the one closest to me quit selling and installing them, because of no demand for the product. The other dealer mentioned the HOV decal display feature for the digital license plate was still years off from implementation. Eventually decided to use the money for ppf instead.

OP - sorry to hear about all the problems you are having with the digital plate. Hope it gets resolved for you soon.

Reactions: RobsJester
This may shock some people who aren't familiar with California vehicle registration/license fees. But went to the State's calculator (lots of factors depending where exactly you live and type of vehicle, etc) and I plugged in a new 2018 electric vehicle for Santa Clara County (no city) and this is what it would run.

Current Registration: 55.00
Current California Highway Patrol: 25.00
Current Vehicle License Fee: 404.00
Current County Service Authority for Freeway Emergencies Fee: 1.00
Current Fingerprint ID Fee: 1.00
Current Abandoned Vehicle Fee: 1.00
Current Air Quality Management District: 6.00
Current County Transportation Projects Fee: 10.00
Alt Fuel/Tech Reg Fee: 3.00
Current Vehicle Theft/DUI 2: 2.00
Current Transportation Improvement Fee: 175.00
Use/Sales Tax: 5,580.00
Reflectorized License Plate Fee: 1.00
Total Registration Fees: $684.00

At least electric vehicles don't have to go in for smog inspection, which I believe is the only inspection required by our state. I know some states use this as a time to check for other things on your car and charge you for the inspection.

WTF!! I used to pay $40/year before I got the personalized plate, now it's more like $65/year

Can you set it to say "TURN OFF YOUR HIGH BEAMS, DERP-HOLE" in scrolling letters, or other useful communication with those behind the car?
In fact there is a device at Kickstarter with 16hrs to go, that will allow you to put a scrolling message for those special people you like in your rear window.

RoadWayve: Communicate with other drivers on the road

Not convinced it's legal in all states, and it seems to block your rearward view, but it will do what you just wanted.

The bonus is the demo vehicle is a Model 3. I guess you could also put a message up while you are away from your car, like, "nothing in the trunk!" Now, you have me thinking, maybe I should get one!

I LOVE tech toys but paying more for a license plate than an iPhone????:eek: Don't worry I didn't need your "not recommended" to keep me from buying. :D

Today I went to the DMV today and spent $60 on an EV tag (yearly subscription but do get to use HOV lanes) and felt like I was getting ripped off. Your post has changed my mind on that.;)

View attachment 420693
Actually, our annual fee for the AFV tag is only $35 in Georgia, plus the $20 that all car registrations cost. For the first year, there is a $25 tag manufacturing fee on top of all that, and of course we all get to pay the EV fee of $200 or so annually whether we get the AFV tag or not. But I think the $35 tag fee is worth every penny! I wouldn't pay a dime for an electronic tag, though,,.

I would purchase a digital license plate if it allowed me to drive in the carpool lane without putting those hideous stickers on my car. Maybe some day in the future there will be an electronic solution to replace the stickers. For now I just applied them to magnets and I only use them when I’m planning on driving by myself on a long freeway trip. I just can’t bare to permanently install them on such a nice looking car.

I would purchase a digital license plate if it allowed me to drive in the carpool lane without putting those hideous stickers on my car. Maybe some day in the future there will be an electronic solution to replace the stickers. For now I just applied them to magnets and I only use them when I’m planning on driving by myself on a long freeway trip. I just can’t bare to permanently install them on such a nice looking car.

What magnets did you end up using. I bought some they were not strong enough. But I think that was also because I have the whole car wrapped with XPEL film

OP spent $1100+ on some fancy gadget license plate?

OP, if you are having problems finding ways to piss away your money, PM me for my PayPal. I can clearly put it to better use than you.

Then again, being that he is a low post count, this may be a clever ruse to draw attention to the fact that these digital plates exist, to make more sales. Not gonna work, you don't fool me!

This is not a forum I moderate, however...

OP posted an unsatisfactory experience, hoping to save someone else the pain of dealing with it.

Several posters then decided to insult this person, and the rest of this reply is addressed to them. I believe I've met OP in real life, and if I'm correct, your callous generalizations and characterizations could not be farther from the truth. Either way, personal attacks on fellow TMC members have no place whatsoever here. At all. Shame on you.

Bruce.

This is not a forum I moderate, however...

OP posted an unsatisfactory experience, hoping to save someone else the pain of dealing with it.

Several posters then decided to insult this person, and the rest of this reply is addressed to them. I believe I've met OP in real life, and if I'm correct, your callous generalizations and characterizations could not be farther from the truth. Either way, personal attacks on fellow TMC members have no place whatsoever here. At all. Shame on you.

Bruce.

I probably hold the record for most amount of posts in snippiness, “inappropriate content”, and “inappropriate language” warnings and I agree with you 100%.

OP humbly bared his situation here to warn others.

He didn’t have to say anything and open up all the mean spirited commentary that was received.

There are people deserving of criticism but OP is not it.

He didn’t hurt or fault anyone.

FWIW, I rated the post “informative”.

I apologize if my little joke was taken offensively. :)