TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Yellow dotted line on power meter

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by cinergi, Nov 14, 2012.

1. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Behavior when getting low on range

The lowest I've gone now is 20 miles left. The battery goes yellow around 30 and power is limited. I know others have had less. Would love to document what happens as you get to 0 ... can you keep driving all the way to 0? Past 0? Does power get limited even more as you get closer to 0? Details / pics please! Here's one to start:

photo 1 (1).JPG

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I often try to be accomodating on research stuff, but I'm aiming to keep my battery above 10 miles projected for at least the next year or two.

3. DaveVa

DaveVa Sig Perf #236 VIN #484

I got down to 5 miles with the same limits showing in your picture. It did not limit further at that range.

4. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

When do those white arcs appear on the speedo and power meter?

5. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

The only thing unusual in those pics is the yellow dotted line near the 160kW power mark. That appeared with around 30 miles left.

6. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

Coming back from a test road trip last night to visit B.I.L. where I got about 220 miles out of a range charge (mostly freeway driving and not too light on the pedal), the power limiting came on around 30 miles with the line at 320kW and gradually went down to the 160kW line.

Ran it down to a theoretical 2 miles in the neighborhood, and was surprised that it didn't limit power consumption further at such a low range, and had NO warnings other than the range indicator going from yellow to red at around 5 miles or less.

Was expecting some audio or more visible cue that I was about to be stranded on the side of the road. :scared:

7. stevezzzz

Really? Mine are solid bars: no white arcs. A Performance/non-Performance difference? Or did those white arcs appear when you reached a certain range remaining number?

image.jpg

8. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

Maybe Firmware?

9. donauker

donauker Member

Based on the rest to the photo, it looks like significant overexposure due to the dark background.

10. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

That's the "power limited" indicator.

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Except for the projected (2400!) and the cruise on (haven't used it yet), steve's pic looks familiar.

12. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

More likely a high-contrast photo shot in low-light, exif data says with an iPhone... judging by the washed out colors on the headlight indicators and general image blur, I think the bars were the normal blue/green, just too bright for the phone's camera to properly capture.

13. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Curious to know if the power is limited by design, or does it have something to do with the battery getting low (i.e. like a flashlight getting dim as the batteries wear out). I'm pretty sure it's the former and, if so, how much of an impact does this have on driving performance?

14. stevezzzz

@Brianman: the 2400 Projected range number came at the end of a long, shallow descent from 9000' to 5000'.

@dflye: I don't think that's it: notice how in my photo the brightness of the speedo and power meter color bars is graduated from the zero point. There's no sign of that gradation in the first photo where the arcs in question show as bright white, right from the zero point.

15. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

If it's this area we're talking about, it's definitely over-exposure.

whitearc.png

16. Vger

Vger Active Member

It looks like they do the same thing as the Roadster, limiting power by 50%. Essentially, it take the car from neck-snappingly-quick down to still-pretty-quick. You can still merge safely and pull away from stop lights reasonably, but it keeps you from sucking a huge chunk of your tiny remaining SOC budget by getting frisky, when you need to be just focused on hypermiling to that next EVSE. :wink:

17. strider

strider Active Member

It's also to protect the batteries since internal resistance goes up as the SOC goes down. Rapid acceleration requires quicker discharge which when coupled w/ low SOC means more heat.

18. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

Can someone explain what these 2 yellow lines are?

Can someone explain what these 2 yellow lines are?

Gauge with 2 yellow lines-web.jpg

I know that B is to show regen is limited but how do you read it? I saw A for the first time this morning.

19. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

A - Limit consumption.
    B - Limit regen.

Both triggered by weather conditions (too cold). B usually slides to around 40 kW, and then vanishes, as the car (battery) warms up.

With the temperature in the 40s (F) outside, I've been seeing B daily for a week or two now. Within 5 miles, it disappears.
    I've only seen A once.

There's a "C" that shows up for speed when your SOC/range gets low. At least I think that's why. I've only seen it once, when my Projected (pre 4.0) range was < 10mi.

20. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

Thanks. You drove yours down to 10 miles?