Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow dotted line on power meter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"A" is the max power available for acceleration. Likely due to the discharge power limit of the battery, but Tesla likely also shows it for motor or inverter cooling limits.

GSP

"A" seems to show up also when you are over 100 mph and pushing it hard still

but also the Performance power draw will peak at 320 kW under hard acceleration, which is 429 HP (more than they stated, or 10kW is used for cooling?)

Possibly OT, but the A limit is very similar to what would be used (if lowered aggressively) to limit for 'guests' such as kids or valets.

A shows up during the last ten miles of charge. During the last 2 miles it felt like I was driving a golf cart. Acceleration was gradual at best. Fortunately, I was in town and almost home. Did my first real road trip yesterday in cold weather drove 236 miles at 70+ MPH 40 degree temp. Range charge with a 5 kw lunch charge averaged 350 wh/mi. Made it home with 6 miles. A supercharger between Indianapolis and Dayton, Ohio would be a great feature.

Possibly OT, but the A limit is very similar to what would be used (if lowered aggressively) to limit for 'guests' such as kids or valets.
Pah, I'd set it for 80kW given the choice. That's plenty of juice to get around with. This morning I was playing around with some hypermiling and limited my max consumption to 40kW all but one time I hit 80 going up a steep hill holding 65mph.

I do hope they add a 'valet mode' option that is password controlled in a future update.

Pah, I'd set it for 80kW given the choice. That's plenty of juice to get around with. This morning I was playing around with some hypermiling and limited my max consumption to 40kW all but one time I hit 80 going up a steep hill holding 65mph.

I do hope they add a 'valet mode' option that is password controlled in a future update.

A 40 limit would be neat for taking a roadtrip and trying to maximize distance, even if it meant going a bit slower up some hills (depending on safety and where you are of course)

A shows up during the last ten miles of charge. During the last 2 miles it felt like I was driving a golf cart. Acceleration was gradual at best. Fortunately, I was in town and almost home. Did my first real road trip yesterday in cold weather drove 236 miles at 70+ MPH 40 degree temp. Range charge with a 5 kw lunch charge averaged 350 wh/mi. Made it home with 6 miles. A supercharger between Indianapolis and Dayton, Ohio would be a great feature.

Similar story here. Drove towards the supercharger in Gilroy, using the Energy monitor to watch the projected mileage based on the last five miles and not letting the indicator climb over the average line (275 Wh/mi I think), comparing this to remaining miles on the navigator, while allowing my urges for playing it safe against impatience... Keeping the cruise at 55 mph was OK, aside from being passed by everyone and their brother.

Skärmavbild 2012-12-19 kl. 08.38.21.png

"A" seems to show up also when you are over 100 mph and pushing it hard still but also the Performance power draw will peak at 320 kW under hard acceleration, which is 429 HP (more than they stated, or 10kW is used for cooling?)

The 320 kW is power output from the pack. Losses in the drivetrain, power losses, and efficiency losses to the wheel result in the stated dyno HP in Tesla's specs.

Here is another picture where someone was driving with an almost empty pack:
yellowstripe.jpg

Notice that the power limit is even lower than in the other picture(s).
It seems it can move this bar around as needed to protect the battery and/or drive-train components.

Dashboard dotted lines

On a couple of occasions I have see orange dotted lines appear on my dash (in the regen and energy usage area around the speedometer). The seem to be fixed and seem to indicate some value. After a while they vanish. Sometimes there are 2, sometimes only one in the regen area. Does anyone know what these mean?

In 5 trips with the S there is always regen. Amazing. Even in a cold car due to sun blocked until 11am. Whether it is reduced or not (haven't figured out what the lines mean) the regen is satisfying. The Roadster on the other hand has not had *any* regen at all for 2 weeks, that's how cold its been here. S is always plugged into 120v, which might explain this. Roadster regen seems linear, consistent, whereas the S regen seems to increase as you are slowing down (as you are approaching a stop). I like it. :biggrin:
--