Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow dotted line on power meter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do hope they add a 'valet mode' option that is password controlled in a future update.

Pardon me if I missed something, I only did a small search of forums) - has anyone learned about such an enhancement, as Dr. Fusco mentions?

I too, would like to see a password accessible valet mode as an upcoming enhancment where:
* the frunk lock is totally disabled from both the fob(s) and from the console screen,
* the maximum speed is limited to 25 mph (or other settable value)
* the glove compartment access switch is disabled,
* history of recent NAV locations made temporarily inaccessible,
* disabling of all homelinks (mine, my parents, friends - whatever I have stored)

There is much information stored and accessible; this would be an attempt to mitigate some risk.

Anything else deemed useful to add? Next step is to make the suggestion (but I suspect it's already on a 'futures wish-list'.
R

Pardon me if I missed something, I only did a small search of forums) - has anyone learned about such an enhancement, as Dr. Fusco mentions?

I too, would like to see a password accessible valet mode as an upcoming enhancment where:
* the frunk lock is totally disabled from both the fob(s) and from the console screen,
* the maximum speed is limited to 25 mph (or other settable value)
* the glove compartment access switch is disabled,
* history of recent NAV locations made temporarily inaccessible,
* disabling of all homelinks (mine, my parents, friends - whatever I have stored)

There is much information stored and accessible; this would be an attempt to mitigate some risk.

Anything else deemed useful to add? Next step is to make the suggestion (but I suspect it's already on a 'futures wish-list'.
R

i too am anxious for this. i would limit the mph, perhaps make it user settable (!), and lock out the trunks (that would be great), but i think the smart move is just to make the touchscreen inop during valet mode, touching it would just bring up a passcode entry dialogue 'valet mode: please enter passcode' or the like... why bother with individual settings and whatnot when really they don't need anything on that screen, just lock it all out. for my money.

as far as the glovebox, i'm pretty sure that's purely mechanical and not possible to software lockout. mind what you put in there. or where you park.. or both.

:)

edit: yeah, these posts are in the wrong thread... feel free to move.

Yah, I'll have to tell my first week story one of these days.

My lowest so far has been 6mi.

I got down to 4 miles on day of life 1 of owning the car!

I just got the damn thing and when I went to look for a charger the first 3 stops I made they were all taken. I was getting low (20's) so I used recargo and found a charge point station 5 miles away....which ended up being broken!!!

a cop happened to see my car and was jocking it pretty hard....and seemed to talk forever until I finally told him my situation (explaining the $100k bricking problem) so he told me to follow him to a charging station on a school campus parking structure. I went up 6 floors to the roof and found the charger cables had all been disconnected!

At this point I had 1 more chance (down to 6 miles) so I had my girlfriend bring her car and we first went to scout the charge point charging station. It looked okay...so we drove back to my car and (with my heart racing) drove to the station.

After calling charge point to figure out how to use the damn thing I plugged in and saw flashing green (to my utter elation!!!). I was down to 4 miles....

can you imagine bricking your car on the first day?!?!?

I got down to 4 miles on day of life 1 of owning the car!

I just got the damn thing and when I went to look for a charger the first 3 stops I made they were all taken. I was getting low (20's) so I used recargo and found a charge point station 5 miles away....which ended up being broken!!!

a cop happened to see my car and was jocking it pretty hard....and seemed to talk forever until I finally told him my situation (explaining the $100k bricking problem) so he told me to follow him to a charging station on a school campus parking structure. I went up 6 floors to the roof and found the charger cables had all been disconnected!

At this point I had 1 more chance (down to 6 miles) so I had my girlfriend bring her car and we first went to scout the charge point charging station. It looked okay...so we drove back to my car and (with my heart racing) drove to the station.

After calling charge point to figure out how to use the damn thing I plugged in and saw flashing green (to my utter elation!!!). I was down to 4 miles....

can you imagine bricking your car on the first day?!?!?

Sounds like a lot of fun on the first day. Glad you found a place to charge. The term 'bricking' usually refers to when the battery is toast and can no longer be charged. Even if you drove down to zero miles and the car wouldn't move you would still have been able to tow the car and plug it in to save the battery.

Sounds like a lot of fun on the first day. Glad you found a place to charge. The term 'bricking' usually refers to when the battery is toast and can no longer be charged. Even if you drove down to zero miles and the car wouldn't move you would still have been able to tow the car and plug it in to save the battery.

Really?!?!

how long can it be at zero and unplugged before its a total goner? I can't believe I didn't know this!

Really?!?!

how long can it be at zero and unplugged before its a total goner? I can't believe I didn't know this!

Tesla says you have a month to plug it in but I wouldn't want to test that theory out. Most people would immediately take their car (tow in this case) back home and plug in. If it didn't charge for some reason you'd have to call Tesla service.

Last night I stretched it to the limit. I had 85 miles to drive and 105 miles of range. (Outside temp was 42F and there was a 2000ft hill in between). I didn't go over 55mph and turned off the heater. (Would have turned off the lights but it was 1am.)

At 50 miles left I got the A line. It kept creeping down and sure enough when I hit the accelerator and consumption hit that line the car would accelerate no faster.
At 35 miles the range and battery bar turned a sickly yellow.
At 15 miles I got a 'Charge now or risk battery damage' warning.
At 12 miles I got a "too cold warning please plug-in".
I got home with 11 miles left and top spped was 40mph.
The next morning it's charged to 244 miles again.

I love this car: except for the charge rate when below freezing.

- - - Updated - - -

About 'bricking the car'. It has to sit long enough to drain the small 12v battery that keeps computer memory alive. There is a long discussion of this in one of the manuals as to how the car shuts down in low power situations. Tesla estimates a week after the main batteries are dead.

Last edited:
I've notice that once in a while a yellow dotted line appears in the power meter in the "regeneration" area. Typically near the 30kW mark. I also noticed that regenerative braking won't go below this line.

Eventually it vanishes and regenerative breaking goes back to normal.

I assume this is telling me that it can't regenerate below that line for some reason. Does anyone know why this happens? (Btw, I remember this happened after not driving it for a few hours, but the car was not fully charged).

I was surprised to see limited regen today. Car had been outside overnight (it probably got down to 45°), but by the time I got in the car at 12:30PM, the outside temp was reading 59°. Rated range was showing about 150 miles.

Regen was limited to 45 kWh for about 3-4 miles.

If the lines appear on the regen(green side) it either means that the battery is too cold or the battery is fully charged and the system will not allow aditional charging of the battery through regeneration.If the dotted lines are in the yellow side indicating KW Useage it means the battery is low and will limit the KW power draw. As the battery nears zero the dotted lines will keep lowering and reducing the power available

What is the dotted yellow line on the kW side of the spedometer/KW-ometer?

Sometimes when I turn my model S on there is a dotted yellow line that hangs around while I start driving on the kW side of the readout- (see the picture I mocked up)...does anyone know what it means or if it is useful information?

Thanks-
Linda in Seattle

Grey Model S...

Attachments

• tesla dash.jpg
    tesla dash.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 385
i just had the experience of having power limited, not sure where/how much, but saw it pop up as i neared 100mph a couple nights ago. just having fun on the way home on a deserted back road, a place i usually floor it. never saw the power limit come on before. it was about 50º out, car had more than 200mi in the battery (85kWh), and i'd been driving mellowly for at least 15 mins at that time. so, what would limit the power here? didn't see anything in the manual about it. anyone with similar experience, or an idea why it would be so limited?

thx

i just had the experience of having power limited, not sure where/how much, but saw it pop up as i neared 100mph a couple nights ago. just having fun on the way home on a deserted back road, a place i usually floor it. never saw the power limit come on before. it was about 50º out, car had more than 200mi in the battery (85kWh), and i'd been driving mellowly for at least 15 mins at that time. so, what would limit the power here? didn't see anything in the manual about it. anyone with similar experience, or an idea why it would be so limited?

The current state of charge/SOC (how much energy was left in the battery. It's bad for the batter to draw high power when the SOC is low so Tesla limits the amount to protect battery life.