Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow ring around Main Display?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mknox, if you can hear FM stations - but not the HD sub-stations, verify you have the "HD" button enabled when you're tuning XM radio - the button should be in dark gray when selected. If you still aren't able to tune any HD/FM sub-stations - then trying doing a console reboot (pressing both steer wheel buttons until the displays go black).

And, if that doesn't work, call Tesla's phone support - and see if they can help. If you can get FM but not HD, more likely it is a software problem - possibly a firmware mis-match of update failure...

Done all of that. When I select "2" or "3" it will show the name of the sub-station on the display, but there is no audio for a long period of time, and then the primary station comes back in even with the "2" or "3" still selected.

I had a bunch of glitches with the new MCU as I was one of the very early ones, but all except this glitch have been resolved with firmware updates.I have had 12 firmware updates since the end of March!

I will mention when the car goes in for the screen replacement.

My March 2018 Model X has the yellow ring. Hesitant towards fixing it because I don't want them to replace my MCU2 with MCU1.

They will not replace an MCU2 with an MCU1. MCU1 has different wiring harnass and requires a different IC (screen behind the wheel)

Besides that, you will definitely notice the change in responsiveness, so they would effectively downgrade your car. They cannot do that. Also, 5G WiFi

Additionally, the MCU2 comes with other perks that are not yet used, but probably will be enabled in Elon Time. For example. MCU2 has bluetooth antenna's in the mirrors. Presumably so they can enable phone unlock just as with the M3 in the future.

My Sept '17 MX100D developed the yellow ring problem in the last couple of months. To be honest, I never noticed it - the Ranger pointed it out when he came out to replace the 12V battery which had gone bad back in July. He ordered a new one, and came back a week later to install it.

My March 2018 Model X has the yellow ring. Hesitant towards fixing it because I don't want them to replace my MCU2 with MCU1. On a side note, does MCU2 still feel much slower then the Model 3 for anyone else? Model 3 feels way more snappier to me, even with the updated MCU on the X.

They will not downgrade you to MCU1. They can't, as MCU2 cars have different wiring.

I also noticed the Yellow Ring yesterday. I have a March 2018 MCU2 car.
I'm amazed Tesla still hasn't been able to fix this since 2016!

At 2k cars a week production rate and every car sooner or later facing this issue, no wonder service centers are busy.

Mar’2017 X, noticed yellow rim couple of months back. Got it replaced last week. SC did not have the part when I dropped off for 2nd annual service, but they got the part from another SC and replaced it!

Anyone experience this before? I basically have a yellow square ring around the main display as in the pics below:

I just off with support... Apparently given time all screens will develop a yellow ring. They have been working on the problem for quite some time. They finally have a permanent fix that will be out in June 2019 and in the interim they will keep replacing the MCU as needed. Heat speeds up the degradation...