Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You'll be contacted by a Tesla lawyer who will try to persuade you to be "patient and cooperative". He'll ask you to drop this pesky arbitration suit, and tell you "he's coordinating with your service center". When I made a proposal for a written agreement to drop the arbitration, he claimed "No matter if you win or lose, Tesla will perform a repair - the outcome is going to be the same". He conveniently left out the timeline under which a repair would be performed outside of arbitration. He stopped responding when I made it clear that I want this issue fixed within 30 days guaranteed. (This is the second screen in this vehicle, and I've waited for almost 9 months in total with just this issue in this one car. I've had the same issue in another vehicle).

He tried to pressure me by saying "Cooperation and patience will go a long way with us in terms of this or other concerns you may have with your Tesla." He later claimed he wasn't saying Tesla would blacklist me - but yes he clearly was trying to make me feel uncomfortable with requesting arbitration.

After several emails back and forth, it's clear to me that this guy's job is literally just to try to delay or end warranty arbitration requests to try to save Tesla money. I guess Tesla must think it's profitable - probably because they know they're going to have a lot of arbitration. But I don't understand how this could be more profitable than just changing out screens.
Send those emails to the arbitrator! They need to be included as evidence. That is absolutely not cool and sounds like his "Cooperation and patience will go a long way with us.. " could possibly be considered a threat.

He tried to pressure me by saying "Cooperation and patience will go a long way with us in terms of this or other concerns you may have with your Tesla." He later claimed he wasn't saying Tesla would blacklist me - but yes he clearly was trying to make me feel uncomfortable with requesting arbitration.

After several emails back and forth, it's clear to me that this guy's job is literally just to try to delay or end warranty arbitration requests to try to save Tesla money. I guess Tesla must think it's profitable - probably because they know they're going to have a lot of arbitration. But I don't understand how this could be more profitable than just changing out screens.

Very disappointed to see Tesla respond this way to their best customers... customer service has fallen a long way since the early days.

Reactions: PaulusdB
You'll be contacted by a Tesla lawyer who will try to persuade you to be "patient and cooperative". He'll ask you to drop this pesky arbitration suit, and tell you "he's coordinating with your service center". When I made a proposal for a written agreement to drop the arbitration, he claimed "No matter if you win or lose, Tesla will perform a repair - the outcome is going to be the same". He conveniently left out the timeline under which a repair would be performed outside of arbitration. He stopped responding when I made it clear that I want this issue fixed within 30 days guaranteed. (This is the second screen in this vehicle, and I've waited for almost 9 months in total with just this issue in this one car. I've had the same issue in another vehicle).

That is intimidation pure and simple. Especially the faintly veiled threat around Tesla working well with you in the future. I'd honestly report him to the bar association.

(This is the second screen in this vehicle, and I've waited for almost 9 months in total with just this issue in this one car. I've had the same issue in another vehicle)..

You are on you second screen, was it also the yellow issue with the first? If so, doesn't that show replacing the screen is not a fix (at least at this/ that point in time)? Of course they are going to want to not spend the time/ money/ resources on swapping it now when they'll need to apply a different fix later.

I don't read that as a threat, but more of if you work with us on this we might be more open to goodwill things in the future when you are out of warranty... I assume that they have to pay for each arbitration case, so if they spend the money on arbitration they won't have that money available for goodwill repairs in the future.

Obviously they can't avoid honoring the warranty because if they try you can just take them to arbitration and most likely win...

My yellow screen case has been accepted for arbitration. Talking to someone at Tesla has become almost impossible so I have very little documentation. Even though I requested a document only review, I am thinking I would love to face them in person. One problem here is that most of us love our cars and we support what Tesla is trying to do for our world. We hate it when people Criticize our company. Some of us take it personally. The thing is when we buy an expensive item and it is under warranty, we expect it to maintain it's usability and it's looks at least for the warranty period. The screen is in a car and it should function in that environment. No excuses.
If anyone can email anything that will help document this issue I would appreciate it. Recent work orders showing screen replacement . settlements etc. [email protected]

But I don't understand how this could be more profitable than just changing out screens.

i think at this point its just complete unorganization, and departments which aren't accustomed to handling it are being forced to it.
You can tell this by how each service center seems to give you different excuses, and are not on a uniform standard. If they were organized, every service center would give u the same excuse.

They have had so many layoff's and resigns in management, i would not be surprised if things got very unorganized.

But yes having a lawyer handle 1000 cases of arbitration is a lot more expensive then having to replace 1000 screens especially with all the follow ups involved, and compliance demands they need to go though.
But in the longer run having to handle 1000 out of 10000 cases is probably what they aim at, which is then is probably cheaper. Especially if the FIXED screen really isnt a FIXED screen.

Eventually i feel they will probably just give up, and just replace it, once they see they have no possibility of a win, or unless the magical UV fix comes out faster.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
You are on you second screen, was it also the yellow issue with the first? If so, doesn't that show replacing the screen is not a fix (at least at this/ that point in time)? Of course they are going to want to not spend the time/ money/ resources on swapping it now when they'll need to apply a different fix later.
If you ship a car which breaks every few months, unfortunately you are on the hook to keep fixing it until the warranty runs out. Saying "it will break again, so don't bother fixing it" is like saying "don't bother washing your clothes, they'll get dirty again".

• Funny
Reactions: Matias
I don't read that as a threat, but more of if you work with us on this we might be more open to goodwill things in the future when you are out of warranty...
If that was the case, why not offer "$500 goodwill credit in exchange for dropping the arbitration for 1 year". When speaking with lawyers, you really have to take them literally and get things in writing, they'll imply many things which are not true. Tesla as a company has gone the "let's implicitly suggest but not actually commit" on more and more things in the recent past.

Could someone help me to understand, why spend all this time and effort, to replace one defective screen with another, same specs, which, most likely, will develop the same yellow border shortly, since no fix is available at the present time?
BTW, has anyone noticed that the front screen (speedometer) also has the yellow border? I can clearly see it when the sun is shining on it from 3 o’clock. Makes sense to me if they been sourced from the same supplier

Could someone help me to understand, why spend all this time and effort, to replace one defective screen with another, same specs, which, most likely, will develop the same yellow border shortly, since no fix is available at the present time?
BTW, has anyone noticed that the front screen (speedometer) also has the yellow border? I can clearly see it when the sun is shining on it from 3 o’clock. Makes sense to me if they been sourced from the same supplier
The simple reason is to have a car without blemishes. If someone keys your car, will you say "I won't bother fixing it until I'm about to sell it, because I might get keyed again plus there may be other scratches or dents to be fixed by then, so might as well just fix it all at once". Also, if you ever want to trade your car in, having a yellow screen kills any potential deals, and unlike with Tesla, other dealers will sell you a car the same day, so your trade cannot have a "will fix some day" defect on it.

The simple reason is to have a car without blemishes. If someone keys your car, will you say "I won't bother fixing it until I'm about to sell it, because I might get keyed again plus there may be other scratches or dents to be fixed by then, so might as well just fix it all at once". Also, if you ever want to trade your car in, having a yellow screen kills any potential deals, and unlike with Tesla, other dealers will sell you a car the same day, so your trade cannot have a "will fix some day" defect on it.

What “blemishes”? I’m sorry, I can’t follow your logic- you’re replacing the defective part with one which is exactly the same and may, most likely, will exhibit the same defect shortly. Have you seen the posts abt 2019 models having the same yellow border shortly after delivery?
As to Your example with dents and scratches... That’s exactly what most ppl do before the trade in or lease end if it affects the value
How do you know when that “new” screen will fail and have the yellow border and if it won’t happen shortly before or on the day of a trade in?

If you ship a car which breaks every few months, unfortunately you are on the hook to keep fixing it until the warranty runs out. Saying "it will break again, so don't bother fixing it" is like saying "don't bother washing your clothes, they'll get dirty again".

There is broken and then there is cosmetic. The yellowing does not prevent any vehicle functions from working.

My point is that, if they are working on a permanent fix and there is no pressing need for a pristine display, then forcing a replacement now that will itself need to be replaced instead of waiting for the real fix may not be the best use of resources.

There is broken and then there is cosmetic. The yellowing does not prevent any vehicle functions from working.

My point is that, if they are working on a permanent fix and there is no pressing need for a pristine display, then forcing a replacement now that will itself need to be replaced instead of waiting for the real fix may not be the best use of resources.

How bout the fact that Tesla has repeatedly attempted to refuse repair or replacement entirely.

How bout the fact that Tesla has repeatedly attempted to refuse repair or replacement entirely.
I'm not saying anything about the messaging or communication.
I'm saying, in the specific case I was replying to, if swapping the part twice led to the same result, forcing them to swap it a third time (without some other change) is not very beneficial and it is understandable why Tesla would not want to do so now instead of waiting to use the UV treatment or a new rev of the part.

I don't read that as a threat, but more of if you work with us on this we might be more open to goodwill things in the future when you are out of warranty... I assume that they have to pay for each arbitration case, so if they spend the money on arbitration they won't have that money available for goodwill repairs in the future.

Obviously they can't avoid honoring the warranty because if they try you can just take them to arbitration and most likely win...

Nonsense... Arbitration 101, don't make threats and put everything in writing. :cool:

I'm not saying anything about the messaging or communication.
I'm saying, in the specific case I was replying to, if swapping the part twice led to the same result, forcing them to swap it a third time (without some other change) is not very beneficial and it is understandable why Tesla would not want to do so now instead of waiting to use the UV treatment or a new rev of the part.

1. because it is the law. Tesla offered a warranty, they cannot weasel their way out of it. You not caring is not an argument.
2. They are providing a defective part. This is not a debatable opinion, it is fact. Continuing to provide a defective part does not exempt Tesla from the law.
3. What Tesla wants to do and what Tesla is required to do, by law, are two separate points. Tesla asked us to wait, many of us did. Then Tesla said "naw, this isn't covered by warranty". Arbitration said "**** you, yes it is". If you have been paying attention at all, you'll notice that legal proceedings did not begin until Tesla attempted to exempt themselves from the responsibility of repairing their own defective product. Lesser companies might have died by now. If this is how Tesla is going to operate from now on, perhaps they should die too.