Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some people are saying we should just wait and live with it until Tesla is ready to fix it.
How can I live with this monstrosity?
It is getting worse. Previously it was seen prominently only on the day setting. Now in the night setting, it is even worse.

Attachments

• Touch_screen_border (1).jpg
    Touch_screen_border (1).jpg
    688.7 KB · Views: 137
  • Touch_screen_border (2).jpg
    Touch_screen_border (2).jpg
    592.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Touch_screen_border (3).jpg
    Touch_screen_border (3).jpg
    834.4 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: KArnold
I think you are misunderstanding me. I am not arguing for/ against arbitration for the implementation of a real solution.

Yes, if they go to arbitration they will get a new screen in 30 days. However, until Tesla resolves the root issue, replacing is not a fix.
Thus, until there is a permanent solution, screen swapping seems a waste. That is all I was trying to say.

I see your point, but please understand where we are coming from here. Take a look at the thread I have linked below. Tesla is STILL trying to state that this issue is not a warranty concern when it very clearly is! That's why arbitration needs to happen and that's why everyone on this forum should be assisting owners who are going through this process now. Tesla is very clearly in the wrong here which has been borne out multiple times through arbitration. Eventually a scumbag class action lawyer gets a hold of this and it does real damage to Tesla while doing nothing to assist owners.

Yellow Border on the Small Screen...

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
Well, my definition of pragmatic is different from yours... I called them and created the email trail, was a assured in writing that the problem will be addressed, once the permanent fix is available. That's about what I will be doing for now, granted my car is only 4 months into warranty and I can wait for the solution, unless functionality of the screen will be affected. I have a busy schedule and better things to do on my spare time...
You were not given any timeline when the permanent fix will be available, so it could be after your warranty is over (due to time or mileage), at which point you get one fix with 30 day warranty and after that you pay $1,300 if it breaks again. Also, should you choose to trade-in a car, you can't, you're stuck with the Tesla unless you pay $1,300 and think of it a month in advance.

But I respect where you are coming from, different people prefer to do things differently. For example I don't bother with most squeaks and rattles because I know fixes will be only temporary and those I can usually do myself quicker than going to service. Others prefer to keep going back to service to fix them. In this case, I want the screen fixed and don't wish to wait indefinitely while my warranty is ticking down. I am not however telling you or anyone else to have it fixed.

Reactions: wildag
Takata airbags. Takata is replacing the faulty bags with new ones, also with the same deffects. They are also installing them into new cars, with the knowledge that those also will need to be replaced.
How exactly did Tesla handle the Takata epic fail better than other manufacturers? They also continued to manufacture cars knowing the airbags will need to be replaced. Btw, are you saying that current replacements are also faulty, so the one which Tesla already replaced on my 2015 Model S as part of this recall is going to need another replacement?

You were not given any timeline when the permanent fix will be available, so it could be after your warranty is over (due to time or mileage), at which point you get one fix with 30 day warranty and after that you pay $1,300 if it breaks again. Also, should you choose to trade-in a car, you can't, you're stuck with the Tesla unless you pay $1,300 and think of it a month in advance.

But I respect where you are coming from, different people prefer to do things differently. For example I don't bother with most squeaks and rattles because I know fixes will be only temporary and those I can usually do myself quicker than going to service. Others prefer to keep going back to service to fix them. In this case, I want the screen fixed and don't wish to wait indefinitely while my warranty is ticking down. I am not however telling you or anyone else to have it fixed.

I hope the problem will be resolved by the time I'll be nearing my warranty expiration, right now it is a moot point. Trust me, if Tesla would give me a run around and real fix was available, I'd be singing a different tune. Usually, I don't keep the car more than three years... Once Audi E-tron GT is out, I'll look into it very seriously.
In addition, I posted about the small screen developing the same problem, which was expected, considering same manufacturer, etc... and was already told by Tesla that it is not covered and I can feel free to replace it if I pay for it myself. The thought of going through all the trouble of replacing screens, only to find out that the new ones exhibit the same defect, turns me off. I have enough stress in my life, no need to create more -:)

Believe we are coming to the end of this long journey.

When it first appeared, they attended to it by replacing the units, under warranty.

After perhaps thousand of these, at over $1,000 each they began to get reports back that replacing them often did no good. the replaced ones just yellowed again. Customers did not want to keep taking their cars back in, and the corporate bean counters were not happy to be spending all that $ with no good results.

They evidently tried the software route. Changing the display brightness, tone and colors. That did not satisfy anyone, inside or outside the company.

They came out with new part numbered displays, but alas they yellowed as well. Customers were getting irate, clogging up service centers, going to arbitration, complaining on the forums. Nobody was happy about all this.

Tesla realized that something had to be done, but so far every effort had failed. Service center and other employees were sending out conficting stories. Some forum posters even claimed to have insider information and that also led to no resolution.

Tesla went to their strength...technology. They put good people on the task, and evidently they came up with some sort of UV or other spectrum light treatment. They did some in house treatments and evidently got the results they (and their customers) were looking for. They built some of the gadgets and began taking it around to teach the service centers how to use it. Seems like it uses lots of power, specialized spectrum light, cooling fans and needs to be engaged for a certain period of time.

Of course, time will tell if this is the solution that will make everyone happy. They are doing onsies/twosies of different ages and different amounts of yellowing. Will develop a protocol to begin getting all the yellow banded screens clear again.

They have agreed that this is a warranty item. They most likely will continue to treat customer screens, well after their warranties expire, as good will and doing the right thing. They have not announced anything publicly, as are still getting a handle on how to best use the gadget.

They are asking patience from their long suffering customers, until they can get the data feedback on the best way to proceed.

The only thing for certain is that replacing one bad screen with another bad screen is not the solution anyone is looking for. (Insert Star Trek music theme here:)

Believe the end result will be some sort of intense light bleaching.

Takata airbags. Takata is replacing the faulty bags with new ones, also with the same deffects. They are also installing them into new cars, with the knowledge that those also will need to be replaced.

LOL, Tesla continued to install the defective Takata airbags all the way thru 2016, several years after it was a known problem. They are still working their way through the recall.

That was kind of my point. The Takata airbag issue hit most all the world's auto manufacturers. There was no available solution. While every automaker was governmentally mandated to install approved airbags into every car they built, the only source for the volume needed was the tarnished Takata.

Even today, thousand of doomed airbags are being installed into new cars. The manufacturers understand that these most likely will perform as designed, but slowly will build up moisture and become dangerous down the road. They know that they will need to replace them at intervals or replace the dessicant packs to keep them dry. In dry areas they may last the life of the car, but in humid areas they become schrapnel producers in just a few years.

Horrible problem. The very items supposed to provide us with a cushion of safety in a collision, can themselves do lots of damage.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
They have agreed that this is a warranty item. They most likely will continue to treat customer screens, well after their warranties expire, as good will and doing the right thing. They have not announced anything publicly, as are still getting a handle on how to best use the gadget.
So Tesla agreed this is a warranty item but is not announcing it publicly, while service centers are saying it's not under warranty and they are officially stating same in arbitration hearings? So it's a secret agreement that nobody is supposed to know about?

They are asking patience from their long suffering customers, until they can get the data feedback on the best way to proceed.
Last time they were asking for patience they were supposed to deliver 691hp for which I paid an extra $25K. You know what, over 4 years later and it's not here. Not just that, once they solved the hp problem for new production cars, they gave all the old customers an excuse how the motors are capable, but no the rest of the car. It was too expensive to fix the problem for P85D owners, so they didn't. Why should I expect any different from them this time?

Reactions: FlatSix911
Tesla knows that it is a warranty issue, but they also know that putting in a replacement screen is mostly a waste of money and it also will not bring in long term consumer satisfaction.

They do not want to throw good money after bad, and are putting their support behind the new technology solution. Service centers know that it is under warranty, but that the warranty fix is not to replace one expensive bad screen with another expensive bad screen. Their fix is to roll out the new photo bleacher, or what ever it will be called. That is their solution.

People can continue to Badger them, but they are going down the path they believe will be the ultimate solution.

Believe we are coming to the end of this long journey.

When it first appeared, they attended to it by replacing the units, under warranty.

After perhaps thousand of these, at over $1,000 each they began to get reports back that replacing them often did no good. the replaced ones just yellowed again. Customers did not want to keep taking their cars back in, and the corporate bean counters were not happy to be spending all that $ with no good results.

They evidently tried the software route. Changing the display brightness, tone and colors. That did not satisfy anyone, inside or outside the company.

They came out with new part numbered displays, but alas they yellowed as well. Customers were getting irate, clogging up service centers, going to arbitration, complaining on the forums. Nobody was happy about all this.

Tesla realized that something had to be done, but so far every effort had failed. Service center and other employees were sending out conficting stories. Some forum posters even claimed to have insider information and that also led to no resolution.

Tesla went to their strength...technology. They put good people on the task, and evidently they came up with some sort of UV or other spectrum light treatment. They did some in house treatments and evidently got the results they (and their customers) were looking for. They built some of the gadgets and began taking it around to teach the service centers how to use it. Seems like it uses lots of power, specialized spectrum light, cooling fans and needs to be engaged for a certain period of time.

Of course, time will tell if this is the solution that will make everyone happy. They are doing onsies/twosies of different ages and different amounts of yellowing. Will develop a protocol to begin getting all the yellow banded screens clear again.

The only thing for certain is that replacing one bad screen with another bad screen is not the solution anyone is looking for. (Insert Star Trek music theme here:)

And we all lived happily ever after!

Tesla knows that it is a warranty issue, but they also know that putting in a replacement screen is mostly a waste of money and it also will not bring in long term consumer satisfaction.

They do not want to throw good money after bad, and are putting their support behind the new technology solution. Service centers know that it is under warranty, but that the warranty fix is not to replace one expensive bad screen with another expensive bad screen. Their fix is to roll out the new photo bleacher, or what ever it will be called. That is their solution.

People can continue to Badger them, but they are going down the path they believe will be the ultimate solution.

Tesla is specifically saying this is not a warranty issue. They claim that the screen discoloration isn’t covered under the warranty, and that if you want it permanently fixed then you will have to pay them $1,300. They are working on a UV light fix which by account of Tesla employees is not expected to be a permanent fix - but rather a temporary effect that wears off over time. They are claiming their only warranty obligation is to apply this temporary repair.

Did I miss that?? I never heard that was actually tried nor did they release any software that addressed that. Where did you hear that? That was always debunked as nonsense.

Reactions: MP3Mike
So which is it:

Are they saying it is a warranty issue or not? (And it is probably true that their only obligation is a replacement, or repair, that doesn't have to be permanent.

Sorry, good catch. Restating. Tesla is saying the screen discoloration is not covered under their warranty. They are offering the UV repair solution as a “good will” offering - and specifically not as a warranty covered service.

The UV service is being offered at an undetermined future time. They claim that because the issue is not covered by the warranty, that they don’t owe any specific expediency, or longevity to the fix.

I am taking them to arbitration over the points above. My argument being that it is covered under warranty because they’ve previously covered attempted repairs for this issue twice under warranty on my vehicles (their own precedence). Also no reasonable person would agree with their position they screen discoloration isn’t a performance or devaluing defect (a computer monitor or TV warranty most certainly would cover this issue). And that they wouldn’t allow this issue to persist on a vehicle that they offer for sale.

I’m confused here. It appears that Tesla is now able to repair the yellow screens and doing so under warranty. They are ramping up a fix program to roll out to all their SCs. Why are people still taking them to arbitration when a solution is now available? There is no need for a screen replacement.

Tesla is saying the screen discoloration is not covered under their warranty. They are offering the UV repair solution as a “good will” offering - and specifically not as a warranty covered service.

No they are saying that it is covered under warranty, specifically in the arbitration process to the arbitrator. We have seen one service center that probably misclassified the repair service as goodwill instead of warranty.

Why are people still taking them to arbitration when a solution is now available? There is no need for a screen replacement.

The main reason is that arbitration puts a guaranteed repair timeline in place. But arbitration doesn't guarantee a replacement screen. All it guarantees is that the yellow border will be resolved within 30 days. So if they can get the UV repair process productionized fast enough they are good. (Or maybe they will direct the UV machines they have around to the SCs near people that have gotten arbitration judgements.)

Personally I wouldn't want to be one of the first to get the UV treatment, I want them to have plenty of experience so they can have the process down pat.

• Informative
Reactions: VT_EE