Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the hearing date for my arbitration. Within few hours I got an email from tesla counsel

"We received your arbitration request through NCDS/CDSP regarding the yellowing you observe around the touchscreen. As you may know, we’ve dispatched a repair for this concern and we would like to coordinate that repair without requiring further involvement of the arbitrators. It will require some coordination but I understand we can get your car into the shop and get the tools to your service center in fairly short order to work on this concern and resolve it for you (free of charge). I saw that you obtained a prior order in arbitration on this issue, however you should know that with or without the order the repair is the same and we’ve actually repaired that customer’s touchscreen in the manner I’m offering to you now so going through with the arbitration doesn’t or shouldn’t bring any different result other than spending time to get to the same place. No arbitrator has ordered us to replace the touchscreen, just repair it and if we can’t get the repair done then we’d have to replace it but we can get it done. We’re simply shortcutting the process.
So, would you please cancel the arbitration so that we can get this done? Keeping it open causes us to incur undue costs when we’re offering to do what you’ve asked us to do already. If that’s ok with you, kindly let NCDS know and I’ll coordinate with your service manager to get it done."

What should I do?
He will get my car repaired within 30 days but at the same time he is getting off the hook for another repair if the issue happens again.

I really think you should forward your side conversation with the lawyer to NCDS. They might be very interested to know Tesla is having side conversations of this sort.

While you might be able to cut a side deal with Tesla that might have the same outcome it will put you in a worse position if the UV treatment doesn't fully remedy the problem (as in OP's case). In that case they will just tell you something like "It is within the design specifications" and to shove it.

Further, it is very concerning that a lawyer from Tesla is resorting to intimidating customers to not pursue their legal right to have an arbitrator hear their case. This is nothing short of intimidation plain and simple and should leave a very bad taste in all Tesla customer's mouths. Tesla clearly doesn't want anyone to go down the arbitration route because of cost / precedent. By trying to convince you (and others who have reported this previously) to drop the arbitration Tesla is getting what they want at the expense of your leverage to get the issue resolved to your satisfaction. The language used in what you posted could probably be considered minor intimidation (after all its not like they flat out threatened your warranty etc) but is probably getting close to violating the rules of professional conduct. It is important to remember that this is a Lawyer for a premium brand trying to bully your average Jill/Joe with no legal experience who, above all, paid for this privilege and not some equally matched opposing council.

I really truly hope this is just one rogue lawyer at Tesla and not the party line. This is an ugly look for them and is terrible customer service. Hopefully, Tesla management does not condone this behavior and will put an end to it.

I am not 100% sold on the fact that this is a sunlight exposure issue. AFAIK, the MCU is typically not exposed to direct sunlight even if the car is sitting outside all day. It's more likely heat related similar to other devices which experience similar yellowing (e.g. Microsoft Surface Pro 3) where the heat essentially cooked the bonding.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
First time I have seen the statement that Tesla believes this to be caused by sunlight exposure. Also they think this yellowing caused by the sunlight exposure is normal wear.

If the clear coat they applied to my paint yellowed within the first 10 years of ownership I would be very upset.
I just got the same documents from Tesla for my pending case. Not covered under the warranty just a and doesn’t hurt anything.

Getting an arbitration ruling in your favor doesn't guarantee a screen replacement at all, none-the-less a screen replacement with a screen that is guaranteed to not yellow in the future. They are still just going to use the UV healing as a first step and only replace the screen if that doesn't work.

It's almost like Tesla should have just gone with this solution from the beginning instead of forcing customers to go to arbitration...

Reactions: neroden
It's almost like Tesla should have just gone with this solution from the beginning instead of forcing customers to go to arbitration...

I think they were they just didn't have it ready yet. Because the repair/heal was mentioned by service centers before the first person went through arbitration. (As far as I can remember.)

I think people just got tired of waiting for Tesla to get their act together, especially since details hadn't been shared.

Further, it is very concerning that a lawyer from Tesla is resorting to intimidating customers to not pursue their legal right to have an arbitrator hear their case. This is nothing short of intimidation plain and simple and should leave a very bad taste in all Tesla customer's mouths

I don't see it as intimidating, there is nothing saying if you proceed that Tesla will hold it against you, he is just trying to save Tesla time and money, as well as some time for you.

In my opinion anyone who gets that request should write back that they will cancel their arbitration request if he will put in writing that they will resolve the issue within 30 days in one visit. If the UV healing works great, but if it doesn't they have to replace the screen on the spot under warranty. (Which is exactly what the arbitration would get you.)

It's more likely heat related similar to other devices which experience similar yellowing.

Fully anecdotal but I believe heat is certainly a factor, or at least an accelerant.

My screen was replaced early on, well before the magnitude of this problem was understood, about 18 months ago.

Thought I was good until a couple weeks ago when it started getting really hot here. Almost overnight, the border is back - faint for now but definitely on its way to a full return.

I think they were they just didn't have it ready yet. Because the repair/heal was mentioned by service centers before the first person went through arbitration. (As far as I can remember.)

I think people just got tired of waiting for Tesla to get their act together, especially since details hadn't been shared.

If this was actually true, why go through the pain of refusing warranty. Not a delay, but outright refusal to admit the concern is warranty covered? Tesla deserves all the pain they get here, and it needs to hit their bottom line hard enough that they never do it again.

Everyone who has a yellow border should file for arbitration. Yes. Everyone.

Believe the ultimate warranty policy will be...
1. If you have the yellow band, but it does not bother you enough to make the effort to bring it in to a service center, you can just drive it as it is. No functional issue at all, just cosmetic.
2. You can bring it in to have it cooked. If that fixes it to your satisfaction...you are done.
3. If the cooking does not work, they will warranty replace your screen with a new one, but the yellow line might come back again later.

All these solutions, including arbitration, are very expensive and time consuming for Tesla. Of course they will want to move forward in the most efficient manner as possible.

While this is going on, Tesla will obviously be working internally to both source better screens and improve the cost an effectiveness of their fixes.

I see that many have become obsessed with this little yellow tinted line. It perhaps even clouds the goodness that also is inherent in the Model S and X lineup. Kind of like an annoying little rattle that does not effect the driveability of the car, but once heard cannot be ignored.

While this is going on, Tesla will obviously be working internally to both source better screens and improve the cost an effectiveness of their fixes.

I see that many have become obsessed with this little yellow tinted line. It perhaps even clouds the goodness that also is inherent in the Model S and X lineup. Kind of like an annoying little rattle that does not effect the driveability of the car, but once heard cannot be ignored.
It is NOT a ‘little yellow tinted line’. It is a bold yellow band that completely encircles the large screen. Minimizing its description does not change the reality or magnitude of the issue.

FWIW, we had the MCU replaced (yellowing border) on one of our MS's, a '17 90D, some months ago. It has not returned, and hopefully won't.

Regardless, Tesla's current customer support protocols are a disgrace. What are they thinking trying to pass this off as "cosmetic?!?" Truly an insult to their best customers; they'll hopefully come to their senses soon.

I got the hearing date for my arbitration. Within few hours I got an email from tesla counsel

"We received your arbitration request through NCDS/CDSP regarding the yellowing you observe around the touchscreen. As you may know, we’ve dispatched a repair for this concern and we would like to coordinate that repair without requiring further involvement of the arbitrators. It will require some coordination but I understand we can get your car into the shop and get the tools to your service center in fairly short order to work on this concern and resolve it for you (free of charge). I saw that you obtained a prior order in arbitration on this issue, however you should know that with or without the order the repair is the same and we’ve actually repaired that customer’s touchscreen in the manner I’m offering to you now so going through with the arbitration doesn’t or shouldn’t bring any different result other than spending time to get to the same place. No arbitrator has ordered us to replace the touchscreen, just repair it and if we can’t get the repair done then we’d have to replace it but we can get it done. We’re simply shortcutting the process.
So, would you please cancel the arbitration so that we can get this done? Keeping it open causes us to incur undue costs when we’re offering to do what you’ve asked us to do already. If that’s ok with you, kindly let NCDS know and I’ll coordinate with your service manager to get it done."

I replied saying that I will drop it if I can get a written confirmation that the repair will be done in 30 days.
He said he will arrange for the repair within 30 days, but he is very adamant that this repair is not covered by warranty, but just a goodwill service.
Meanwhile, I got the Manufacturer response form which said that the issue was not presented for repair and it is not covered under warranty.
When I told him about this, he said that he submitted that form before responding to my email.

"frankly, it was largely a copy/paste from another brief. We are prepared to fix your car, though we do not consider it a warranty issue. Regardless, you won’t be paying for the repair"

What should I do?
He will get my car repaired within 30 days but at the same time he is getting off the hook for another repair if the issue happens again.

I would agree to dropping the arbitration, if they agree, in writing, that if the UV treatment is not a permanent fix, and if the yellow line returns, that they will replace the screen with one that will not yellow, and guaranty that the new screen, will not yellow going forward.

Since they are trying so hard to not call this warranty, means that they intend to turn down any claims that are past warranty on this manufacturing defect. Anyone going to arbitration should try to establish with the arbitrator that this is a manufacturing defect, and must be repaired or replaced beyond the warranty period until permanently resolved, as this problem may return. The messages from Tesla trying to avoid calling this warranty, should be shown to the arbitrator to show that Teslas intent is to disclaim future yellowing problems.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: neroden and MP3Mike
Question for those of you that have opted for in person. Do you know if the person from Tesla is local to where you live or they have to fly someone from the bay area?
They will have to fly everyone involved into my small town. Do not know where they come from. This is so damn stupid. I just want my screen fixed. But even though the car is not two years old, they say it is not covered by warranty..