Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And Tesla asserts that the screen "didn't come from the factory that way" (it was yellowing 90 days into ownership; does Tesla assert that I somehow exposed it to too much... something... in that period of time??)

That to me at least goes to the point that the parts are failing in use at random intervals, not just ageing naturally.

My mid-2018 S shows zero signs of the yellowing after a year, yours shows it after 90 days, that sounds like a clear case of a faulty part...

Out of curiosity, and I'm sorry if this is stated elsewhere and I just missed it, but does this mostly only apply to newer S/X? I had a May 2016 S that I owned for 3 years and put over 100k miles on and never saw or heard of this issue.

I'm asking because I had been considering trading my 3 for a new X. But if this is happening with brand new vehicles Tesla can forget about getting my business...

• Love
Reactions: St Charles
There is no question that Tesla needs to fix this. The reason that the Lawyer is quoting Bonnie and others, is to show that they now have a fix, and the reason that he is saying that the car has not been presented for the fix, is because it hasn't. Legally, Tesla has to be given the opportunity to repair the vehicle, and that is the reason for the statement from the Lawyer. Now that responsiblility has been established, there isn't much point in going to arbitration until after the UV fix has been performed, and the result is unacceptable. Going before will simply result in the same outcome as OP, Tesla ordered to fix, Tesla performs UV fix. I would save arbitration for after the fix, if the fix is unacceptable, because the process will be the same, wether you go to arbitration first or not. Teslas big mistake was trying to worm out of responsibility, forcing OP to take them to arbitration in the first place, and making their customers advisories. It is good that some have gone to arbitration and established Teslas responsibility to fix this, so that the out of warranty people will be able to go to arbitration next, if necessary, an establish that it is a manufacturing defect, that needs to be fixed in or out of warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Still plenty of reason to go for the arbitration as it nails down a time-line for the fix, right now Tesla hold out the promise of the 'fix' but give not dates or time-line...

... and yes the cars have been presented to Tesla for a fix, just Tesla declined to perform it making vague promises of something being possible in the future, that is not the same thing at all...

Reactions: KArnold
Out of curiosity, and I'm sorry if this is stated elsewhere and I just missed it, but does this mostly only apply to newer S/X? I had a May 2016 S that I owned for 3 years and put over 100k miles on and never saw or heard of this issue.

I'm asking because I had been considering trading my 3 for a new X. But if this is happening with brand new vehicles Tesla can forget about getting my business...
This era appears to be immune to the yellowing issue. It started later in 2016?

Your display could have the bubbles and weeping goo though so...

BTW my March of 2016 X does not seem to have either problem so that's at least a plus with all the MCU1+, FSD, cameras, sentry ... things that it does not have and never will.:(

Tesla claims current screens in production do not have this problem. Just make sure your X isn’t a few months old when they try to sell you one.

Got this email from Customer Service today:

"Thank you for contacting Tesla! Please allow me to apologize for the delay in our response to this email. Some owners have shared concerns regarding a yellow border forming around the edges of the touchscreen. Tesla has reviewed these cases and determined this is a wear and cosmetic condition, which has no impact on performance, function, or reliability of the touchscreen. Therefore this is not a defect and Tesla has no obligation to replace the touchscreen under warranty. However, Tesla is in the process of releasing a procedure which uses ultraviolet light to reduce the yellowing condition. More information will be available soon regarding this procedure. Alternatively, owners may pay to replace the touchscreen with the latest revision that is not susceptible to this condition.
For any additional questions you have regarding this process, your local Service Team will be able to best assist you."

No timeframe on availability of fix. They do state that latest revision does not have this issue. In other words they have corrected the defect but refuse to admit that it is in fact a defect covered under warranty. I agree with above. No point engaging Arbitration until fix is attempted, unless time to fix is an unreasonable amount of time. I am going to schedule a Service appointment to request the fix as well as some other items. Will see what happens.

Why is their screen supplier not on the hook for replacing these things?
It's probably a similar scenario to a builder telling you they want to use galvanised fencing posts at your beach house, you don't want to pay the extra so you tell them to put the cheapest ones in. A year or so later when they are all rusted you call the builder and they say 'told you so, nothing I can do but supply you with the more expensive correct ones', instead you just paint over them and hope for the best.

I understand that it's a cosmetic thing for now but no one knows if it will impact the actual functionality of the screen in 5 years like the bubbles/goo on the older MCU screens. Regardless, on a car that costs $85k+, you'd think they would be more willing/receptive to assist the customer base they have to rely on to survive.
Especially when you consider how the huge touchscreen is the centerpiece of the Tesla interior. Does Tesla ‘really’ think that having non-Tesla owners sitting in your car and seeing the ugly yellow borders, is good for business? I sure don’t think so. Frankly, I’m embarrassed.

Especially when you consider how the huge touchscreen is the centerpiece of the Tesla interior. Does Tesla ‘really’ think that having non-Tesla owners sitting in your car and seeing the ugly yellow borders, is good for business? I sure don’t think so. Frankly, I’m embarrassed.
Had that experience yesterday. Worst part, was they work for VW and appreciate who Tesla is, but their eyes got big when they saw yellow border.
And no, I was not at a VW dealer, just talking with someone I know from other stuff. Have no interest in a VW.

Reactions: alloverx