Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only people who make out from class actions are the lawyers...

From an absolute value standpoint, yeah the lawyers get the lion's share of the winnings. On its face that seems wrong but the law firm is a business and needs to cover their cost and they did do most of the work for the case. Winning a class action would be great for us consumers. We might actually get Tesla to fix this issue and maybe, just maybe, Tesla would rethink the path it has been going down lately where they seem to try to anger their customers for sport.

I think all of us here bought a Tesla because they are genuinely good cars and we believe in the vision of the company. I know that is why I have two Teslas and have been a long time stock holder in the company. I don't want to see them lose an $xxM lawsuit. However, Tesla seems to be trying its darndest to destroy itself. Maybe they need a wakeup call to see that treating your customers poorly is not a good long term strategy. I'm not sure if I would buy another Tesla or recommend them to friends and family at the moment - I really, truly, hope they turn things around.

Just got my yellow borders (which were terrible on all four edges) fixed at the service center with their UV light procedure. My screen looks fantastic - we’ll see how long this fix works and if I’ll need to do it again.

I understand the uproar when we had no fix available, but at this point I think it’s a little ridiculous to fight for an entirely new screen...since this does work.

Which SC? Can you share before and after photos? To be clear, I would be willing to wait if there was

1) a definitive and reasonable timeframe for the fix to be generally available
2) clarity on the degree to which this will definitely resolve the issue and for how long
3) agreement that this is a warranty issue and would be repaired if it should happen again

None of these are available to me. I don't feel I'm being ridiculous to ask for these or a replacement if these are not made available.

• Love
Reactions: PhilDavid
Which SC? Can you share before and after photos? To be clear, I would be willing to wait if there was

2) clarity on the degree to which this will definitely resolve the issue and for how long
3) agreement that this is a warranty issue and would be repaired if it should happen again

None of these are available to me. I don't feel I'm being ridiculous to ask for these or a replacement if these are not made available.

That’s a good point. I didn’t take before and after pictures, but I can assure you it works great (at least for three days haha - again, we’ll see if the issue comes back).

Service center was Portland, Oregon (Macadam). As you can see in my invoice, they coded it as “goodwill” while my USB ports were replaced under warranty. Hopefully they get this out to all service centers soon (if not available). Otherwise, I do see your frustration with no timeline.

Attachments

• 1FC9C21C-820B-4D1A-8CD2-73EFF7B3C433.jpeg
    1FC9C21C-820B-4D1A-8CD2-73EFF7B3C433.jpeg
    194.8 KB · Views: 92
Just got my yellow borders (which were terrible on all four edges) fixed at the service center with their UV light procedure. My screen looks fantastic - we’ll see how long this fix works and if I’ll need to do it again.

I understand the uproar when we had no fix available, but at this point I think it’s a little ridiculous to fight for an entirely new screen...since this does work.

That not a fix. It's just a band-aid. Tesla has admitted that it's only temporary. And if it comes back, they won't provide this service for free a second time!

That’s a good point. I didn’t take before and after pictures, but I can assure you it works great (at least for three days haha - again, we’ll see if the issue comes back).

Service center was Portland, Oregon (Macadam). As you can see in my invoice, they coded it as “goodwill” while my USB ports were replaced under warranty. Hopefully they get this out to all service centers soon (if not available). Otherwise, I do see your frustration with no timeline.

A warranty repair should be "good will"

"Good will" should be actually honoring the warranty for a detective part. :rolleyes:

You should absolutely ask for a permanent fix to rectify the defective screen that turns yellow.

Why did you accept the invoice with "good will" repair? Basically, you locked yourself out of a free repair should the issue resurface.

I had my arbitration call today.

Tesla admitted that current screen is susceptible to sunlight. Tesla hopes next generation screen does not have this issue.

During spring 2019 , Tesla determined that the adhesive used to attach components was being affected by sun light, causes yellow band. This caused them to stop covering this issue under warranty. (makes no sense, but that was the argument)

Tesla claimed that this yellow banding wasn’t covered by the warranty - just like tires wear out, this generation of screen wears out. That the cause was simply environmental and not un-reasonable to be expected. (I argued that other wear items are specifically called out as not covered in the warranty, and that there’s no reasonable way a customer could know that a screen would be considered a wear item, or that sun light should be avoided).

Tesla said a number of affected screen units had the UV fix applied, and are now sitting on the roof of head quarters exposed to sun light - none have suffered the yellow banding after the UV fix.

Tesla previously was telling customers that the customers will receive only a one time attempted fix as good will, and that no additional fix attempts would be covered. Tesla claims they have now changed that policy, and says customer won’t be charged for future yellowing issues (not clear if it’s under warranty or not).

Tesla admitted that they often change policies, and that it can be confusing for customers or they may have outdated information. (I argued that’s exactly why having this issue covered under warranty is important - so that I’m not subject to their latest whim).

Tesla argued that they have the right to attempt a UV fix repair. I probably unccessfully argued that the UV fix is most likely temporary, as relayed by their own technicians. And that others have reported unsuccessful attempts. Tesla claimed 9 other customers received the UV fix in lieu of arbitration - but provided no argument that the fix would be long lasting (other than the sun light test above).

Tesla claimed that I hadn’t submitted my car for a fix. (That’s absurd, because the whole point of the arbitration was that I’d submitted the car multiple times for fixes over 6+ months, and been rebuffed).

The arbiter provided no feedback other than a few questions. I’ll learn the results in a week or so.

I had my arbitration call today.

Tesla admitted that current screen is susceptible to sunlight. Tesla hopes next generation screen does not have this issue.

During spring 2019 , Tesla determined that the adhesive used to attach components was being affected by sun light, causes yellow band. This caused them to stop covering this issue under warranty. (makes no sense, but that was the argument)

Tesla claimed that this yellow banding wasn’t covered by the warranty - just like tires wear out, this generation of screen wears out. That the cause was simply environmental and not un-reasonable to be expected. (I argued that other wear items are specifically called out as not covered in the warranty, and that there’s no reasonable way a customer could know that a screen would be considered a wear item, or that sun light should be avoided).

Tesla said a number of affected screen units had the UV fix applied, and are now sitting on the roof of head quarters exposed to sun light - none have suffered the yellow banding after the UV fix.

Tesla previously was telling customers that the customers will receive only a one time attempted fix as good will, and that no additional fix attempts would be covered. Tesla claims they have now changed that policy, and says customer won’t be charged for future yellowing issues (not clear if it’s under warranty or not).

Tesla admitted that they often change policies, and that it can be confusing for customers or they may have outdated information. (I argued that’s exactly why having this issue covered under warranty is important - so that I’m not subject to their latest whim).

Tesla argued that they have the right to attempt a UV fix repair. I probably unccessfully argued that the UV fix is most likely temporary, as relayed by their own technicians. And that others have reported unsuccessful attempts. Tesla claimed 9 other customers received the UV fix in lieu of arbitration - but provided no argument that the fix would be long lasting (other than the sun light test above).

Tesla claimed that I hadn’t submitted my car for a fix. (That’s absurd, because the whole point of the arbitration was that I’d submitted the car multiple times for fixes over 6+ months, and been rebuffed).

The arbiter provided no feedback other than a few questions. I’ll learn the results in a week or so.

Thanks for the details. I will keep these points in mind for my call next week.
Yes, "not presented for repair" argument is ridiculous. The Manufacturer response form that was sent to me has the same reason - that I did not present the car for repair. I asked the lawyer guy Ryan what the hell does that mean. He said "Oh, that's the general template that I use for all these arbitration cases"

• Funny
Reactions: Matias
Thanks for the details. I will keep these points in mind for my call next week.
Yes, "not presented for repair" argument is ridiculous. The Manufacturer response form that was sent to me has the same reason - that I did not present the car for repair. I asked the lawyer guy Ryan what the hell does that mean. He said "Oh, that's the general template that I use for all these arbitration cases"

Wow! Well, I guess if they're going to lose arbitration, anyway, they might as well not waste their A team on it!

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
wildag - thanks for sharing your experience, keep us updated on the results.

I think you did well here, it's quite a stretch to compare the screen to tires. Unless Tesla made the buyer aware pre-purchase that the screen should not be left in sunlight, I think their argument a stretch. A reasonable person would not think that sunlight could damage their screen after a few days out in the sun.

100% agree, this is my worry about having this listed as goodwill.

During spring 2019 , Tesla determined that the adhesive used to attach components was being affected by sun light, causes yellow band. This caused them to stop covering this issue under warranty.

Hmm, I smell a potential business opportunity here. Anyone taking bets as to how long it takes evannex or taptes to start making custom fitted MCU screen covers? Maybe I should start knitting some and selling them on Etsy. Made from free range yarn!!! :D

There was a person on here that said they had their car delivered during a Colorado winter, it had minimal strong sunlight exposure given that time period and yet the screen still yellowed.

I recall that as well, but I feel like the majority of experiences posted here claim to be sun related. I don't know if anyone knows for sure, including Tesla.

From the initial post of this thread:

* Tesla claimed it was an environmental issue and provided no proof thereof. The arbitrator dug into this and made it clear he was unimpressed with their claim that had no backing. The lawyer on Tesla's side claimed they had the documents but could not provide them "because of NDAs and such"

Maybe if they come with the environmental excuse, you should request evidence or proof. The arbitrator in this case awarded zero points for that claim it seems.

Hmm, I smell a potential business opportunity here. Anyone taking bets as to how long it takes evannex or taptes to start making custom fitted MCU screen covers? Maybe I should start knitting some and selling them on Etsy. Made from free range yarn!!! :D
Screen protectors are already available from abstractocean.com. I have them on my Model S 90D and my wife's Model 3 and highly recommend the matte version since it basically eliminates fingerprints on the screen.

Neither car has any yellowing, but my 90D is a 2015, so I don't think it's affected anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: Skipdd
Screen protectors are already available from abstractocean.com. I have them on my Model S 90D and my wife's Model 3 and highly recommend the matte version since it basically eliminates fingerprints on the screen.

Neither car has any yellowing, but my 90D is a 2015, so I don't think it's affected anyway.

Not a screen protector, a cover from the sun. Like one of those dashboard covers. It was mostly a joke (mostly) but with Tesla's track record on these MCUs (I have the one that could bubble) having a cover to put over it when parked probably isnt a terrible idea.