Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been waiting for this for around 10 months now.
Yeah, just on one year for me too and the service centre staff wonder why we get wound up when talking to them about it.
I was thinking the other day, if Tesla made ICE vehicles they'd be out of business by now because they are pretty much doing everything wrong as far as customer service goes, but when you have no real competition you can continue to get away with it.

It's not even available for people in the East Coast. I had my appointment canceled :(

Been waiting for this for around 10 months now.
I had my yellow border fixed at Devon, PA service center on October 1st. Worked fine and screen looks brand new. I have a model S 100D with 6K miles.Started having the issue 4 months ago when the car had only 3K miles. Have you tried contacting Devon SC?

Received an S 75D loaner yesterday and first experience with yellowing around screen. This is a December 2018-built car. Shocked that the yellowing is still an issue on an MCU2 car with 10,800 miles.

20191014_170716.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
3. Just live with it (oh, the horror) until your friendly neighborhood service center gets the equipment and training.
4. Just live with it if it does not bother you.
There may be other options, but it looks like Tesla is closing in on a resolution to this highly emotional issue.

When you sell a car private or trade, you suffer for every defect. Bubbles in screens, dashboard cracks, scratches, rust, paint defects, rim rash, glass chips and display defects. The whole lot.

Most people who pay a lot also expect a lot. Not unreasonable in my book.

Especially with a faulty like the yellow boarder, it's clear even in Oct 2019 that it still effects new cars. So most likely this is an issue as others have said that the display is not suited to the harsh environment in a car. (large ranges of temperature, humidity and high levels of light exposure). But I doubt there is a suitable alternative, so you pretty much know this is going to happen when screens are in those conditions.

Your warranty is part of your purchase and it should be good til the end. So if your display is going to be replaced / repaired, the clock will again be ticking for another failure. Tesla have the obligation of keeping you with without outstanding warranty issues for the full duration of the warranty to uphold their side of the warranty agreement and the value of your car.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
There are many LOCA (Liquid Optically Clear Adhesive) products on the market that are used to bond touch screens. Manufacturers use additives in LOCAs to accomplish desired performance (such as preventing discoloration and providing for proper UV curing). UV at 365nm (just below the visible spectrum) is typical for curing most LOCAs. Heat may soften the adhesive and if the LOCA layer is too thick then it could require additional curing. I don’t know if the Tesla screen problem is due to using LOCA without proper additives, using LOCA that is beyond its shelf-life, applying too thick of a coat, or something else. UV will eventually cure the LOCA, but heat may bring the yellow (or orange-brown) back until its fully cured. Curing works best with cool temperatures - the higher watt UV bulbs will cure at a faster rate. This curing process may take multiple iterations to completely cure depending on type and thickness of the LOCA. I did not want to speculate or guess about this so I did my own research to understand the science behind the problem and the proposed solutions.

I think there are some problems with your analysis. First, the yellowing is occurring in discrete bands. They look to be 5mm wide and totally linear across the screen BUT they are also occurring vertically, more like creating a border. They are also crisp and well defined. Chemistry problems the likes that you're proposing don't really work like that * and if you're a chemist as you imply, you know that.

So by your reasoning, these discrete areas of the screen have either 1) simply not been exposed to curing light or 2) the application of adhesive was somehow such that these interesting bands of color appear. Now, neither of these sit well with me, for many reasons but if this is an adhesive problem, as apparently occurred with Samsung Galaxy's years ago.... time will tell if high intensity UV light application cures it, improves it or simply is a band aid for it.

one final thought. I've worked with my share of polymers over the years.... even a few that were photo-activated and I can not recall a single case where high intensity UV didn't worsen a clarity problem over time. UV degrades polymers over time, even those with UV stabilizers in them. this results in characteristic crazing over time AND that annoying yellow-brown breakdown through photo-oxidation.

I have been watching this thread with some trepidation, pending an order!
Has anyone HARD information on whether Tesla has a new screen supplier with automotive quality units for new builds?
The other thing is - I see problems with chips going down after many writes: same question!

I have been watching this thread with some trepidation, pending an order!
If you are ordering a Model 3 then you'll be fine as the hardware is all different, but as far as the screen in the S & X goes we are seeing 2019 models suffering the same problems already so I'm not sure it is solved even if you order new today. One thing that is now very apparent is if the screens haven't changed then you will with 99% certainty run in to this problem at some point.
You are not going to find a definitive answer on the screen situation, Tesla sure won't tell you if you ask.

The excessive logging that is killing the MCU's, someone showed a tweet with Elon suggesting they have cut back how much is logged but who know what that really means as far as extending the life of the MCU.

Can someone post how long the UV fix takes ?
Can you wait for it to be performed ?

It takes 2.5 hours and yes you can wait while they perform the procedure. I strongly suggest you book the first available appointment in the morning (8 am in my case). I had the treatment done at the Watertown service center in Massachusetts and the treatment went smoothly and successfully. My MCU now looks great. Only time will tell if this is a fix or a short term patch. On the negative side my IC also has the yellow banding though it's only visible when hit from behind or the side by direct sunlight so they saw and noted the problem but did not agree to replace the screen.