Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet Another Price Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Price will probably go back down about a month before the June EOQ.

That's usually been the trend for the most part, with any Tesla model. Prices go up slightly at the start of a new quarter, and will often slightly drop about 1 - 1.5 months before EOQ, and then go back up right before EOQ. It's probably Tesla's way to push for more sales in that time frame, so they can make EOQ deliveries on time for their quarterly reports.

I don't think there's any anticipation of a tax credit that would cause the price change, but it wouldn't surprise me if the price increase was to cover overhead on new hardware (updated headlights). When you look at the MYP, the price went up slightly late 2020 or early this year, and sure enough we started seeing the new projector lights on the Performance models in Q1.

Also, somebody pointed out in another thread that the headlights appear to have changed on Tesla's website on the order page. They kind of do look like the newer projector headlights from the pics, but it's hard to confirm it.

The other difference is that Tesla is now finally showing the updated (current) interior with the newer console on the Model Y order page. This wasn't the case last quarter, even though the majority of Model Y cars after 115k-ish VIN was getting them.

When I ordered my car it was $46,990, I configure it today, $500 more.
If I ordered before the price increase and my car is due in May/June do I pay the new price or do they honor price at order time?
I assume you get the price that was in effect when you ordered since you paid your 100 dollar order fee based on that agreed price.

I assume you get the price that was in effect when you ordered since you paid your 100 dollar order fee based on that agreed price.
In this case, yes, since the price when ordered was lower, he gets to keep the same lower price. If the prices dropped after ordering the car but before taking the delivery, Tesla is usually very good about this and actually offers the lower price to the customers who are waiting for the car to be delivered.

Reactions: dogmodes
Actually, that's not correct. I ordered a MY last year when FSD was 7k, I think. Tesla decided to drop the price of the MY by 2k before I took possession. I asked them if I could receive the 2k price difference. They informed me that I would have to go on the site and "configure" the car in order to receive the new price on the MY. Unfortunately, during this timeframe, the price of FSD had already gone up to 8k, I believe. Regardless, they informed me that any changes made to other aspects of pricing would also be considered. So...if you configured your vehicle, there is a chance you will be paying the new price. But you have the ability to check before you lock in the changes you've made.
That is totally different situation, You can not pick and choose price differences, if you want to pick the lower price of the car, you also have to consider what the price of FSD is on that day, if it works in your favor, they will honor it for sure.

Reactions: DanDi58 and frankvb
Supply and Demand, currently there are more demand for Teslas hence they can afford to raise the price. BUT, with Mach E and ID4 coming along, and more EVs on the way, competition will drive Tesla to lower prices. If Green Act passes with more federal stimulus for Tesla, then tesla will likely retain huge advantage against similarly priced electric vehicles. BUT, if no stimulus passes, then other new EVS entering the market will steal market share from Tesla until there's even playing field.

Thanks, good to know.
Supply and Demand, currently there are more demand for Teslas hence they can afford to raise the price. BUT, with Mach E and ID4 coming along, and more EVs on the way, competition will drive Tesla to lower prices. If Green Act passes with more federal stimulus for Tesla, then tesla will likely retain huge advantage against similarly priced electric vehicles. BUT, if no stimulus passes, then other new EVS entering the market will steal market share from Tesla until there's even playing field.
You bring up some good points, however, Tesla has really done it right by setting up the infrastructure. What I mean is the public fast chargers. Everywhere I go there are more Tesla chargers than non-Tesla chargers. The LR AWD version with 353 miles is really in a class by itself (given the pricing compared to others). You live in NJ, I live in Westchester. I was traveling down the NJT last week and it seemed that every service area had Tesla charger but only a few had non-Tesla chargers. Some of them had upwards of a dozen of them. There is a newer Sheraton Hotel near me, they only put in Tesla fast chargers. This will be my second EV, the last one was a Leaf with 150 mile capacity. It did just fine, no long trips of course, and at the beginning lots of range anxiety. Don’t want range anxiety anymore.

Know your limits and subscribe to AAA. Range anxiety I get but don’t plan outside of your comfort area.

I’m coming from a Volt with only 50 miles of range I managed to go 1.5 years with 2 tanks of gas. The ICE alternative was a great backup but I despised using gas and managed with 45 EV miles range (with a 90 mile round trip commute). I charged at public stations at work and rode a scooter for the last mile commute from the charger. (Rainy days used gas)

With Tesla you have plenty of day to day range. Road trips require a more strategic approach of course but for 99.5% of the population Tesla daily range is more than sufficient.

Just charge her up at night!

-Jeff

Ugh, quite annoyed about this as I was literally about to place my order to lock in the price and hold off on delivery for a little while to see how the tax credit situation plays out over the next several months. Went ahead and did it anyways. If the tax credits do happen, then the price is only going to go up from here. If they don't, I'll probably just keep this order pending as long as I can to see how things shake up over the next year with the Austin factory coming online. Worst case I give up on the $100 and wait things out a couple of years to see what happens with the new factories and the potential updates to 4680 cells and structural battery packs (though I suspect those are still going to be several years out)

Reactions: unknowncloud