Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke peeling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Yoke with mechanical horn is finally here:

Part 1965131-00-A

STEERING WHEEL ASSEMBLY PUR - MECHANICAL HORN
Steering Yoke 1965131-00-A must use yoke DAB 1965182-00-A. Firmware update required.

I'll request service replace my peeling yoke and will let you know how it goes.
Please do. Is the DAB the airbag part? Historically Tesla hasn’t replaced those when replacing the yoke, but if this is the only part number for the yoke moving forward they’d have to or you would have absolute no working horn with that haptic removed.

Part 1965131-00-A

Steering Yoke 1965131-00-A must use yoke DAB 1965182-00-A. Firmware update required.

I hope my newish yoke starts peeling again. No horn in center was a brainless idea.

Reactions: zoomer0056

Part 1965131-00-A

Not quite here yet, but close. Used this part # to ask for a current ticket.

IMG_4269.jpeg
IMG_4270.jpeg

That is a bummer. How much longer can this possibly take?
Bro, my first yoke melt was last February. They said the new one is coming out in June. (last year). I've since been through 3 more. This is my 4 yoke including the one that came with the car. It's a known problem and they've been more than amicable in replacing them. I'm looking at them not replacing them anymore as they have a solution and don't want to throw anymore bad yokes out, knowing they have the fix. (but I live inn a perfect world, so take that with a grain of salt.0

On my 3rd yoke since September of 2021. For me, the yoke seems to last about 8 months before it starts peeling in the same location. My 3rd yoke is now peeling and service will not replace it citing the new yoke "with improved materials" available mid-February. Covered the peeling area with matt black gaffer's tape before it gets worse, and I'll just wait it out now.

On my 3rd yoke since September of 2021. For me, the yoke seems to last about 8 months before it starts peeling in the same location. My 3rd yoke is now peeling and service will not replace it citing the new yoke "with improved materials" available mid-February. Covered the peeling area with matt black gaffer's tape before it gets worse, and I'll just wait it out now.

My yoke is in perfect condition. It almost never sees sun or high temps.

How do I get it to melt or peel so I get a new one?

Reactions: Blue Stuff
My yoke is in perfect condition. It almost never sees sun or high temps.

How do I get it to melt or peel so I get a new one?
I'm in Orange County and my Plaid is garaged when I'm not driving it. You are in LA and we have essentially the same weather, so I don't know why you aren't having the problem. It always starts to peel on the top left bump on the yoke. I never put my hands there to drive or turn, so it isn't wear. It's close to the driver's side window, so maybe extra sun causing it to melt?

My appointment for next week was canceled at the SCs request. They said they expect a service bulletin when the new yoke is ready and that I would be notified to make an appointment at that time. So more waiting but tesla seems to have a plan.
Have attempted to get mine replaced/repaired several times.
Their standard reply is that it is a known problem and until they have a better yoke, they aren't touching it. That "better yoke" was supposed to be available Late Spring '23, then August '23 then 4th Qtr (for certain) '23. Appreciate this thread for the updates and possible new horn placement.
Keep the facts, rumors and hearsay going folks!