Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I don't know for sure, I suspect they moved your old airbag to the new steering wheel and didn't "take it". I'm fairly sure the airbag has to be removed before they can replace the wheel. So it would be less labor once the new wheel is mounted to just reinstall the old airbag (and a lot less expense).

Upvote 0
While I don't know for sure, I suspect they moved your old airbag to the new steering wheel and didn't "take it". I'm fairly sure the airbag has to be removed before they can replace the wheel. So it would be less labor once the new wheel is mounted to just reinstall the old airbag (and a lot less expense).

Actually the airbags are different between the yoke and the wheel (different SKUs). Just had the steering wheel retrofit done literally an hour ago, and the technician clearly swapped the airbag modules (I saw this first-hand, but you'd need to take my word for it, I didn't do pictures). Installing or deinstalling either airbag module takes at most 60 seconds, so not really any savings in time there.

I got to keep the yoke, they took the old airbag.

Bruce.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ and vcor
Upvote 0
I kept my yoke and the airbag. Mine was only the 2nd car the tech had done. He didn't know one way or the other whether he could leave it with me. He consulted his paperwork, noted it did not explicitly tell him to recover the yoke or airbag, so he left me with both. I think he could also tell I likely wasn't going to let him take it any way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Tech literally just left after wheel install. He took my yoke and airbag. I just messaged to request it back.

I'm pissed though that this swap did not give me a horn in the middle of the wheel. I just assumed it would. Tesla is really on my last nerve these days.

Upvote 0
Tech literally just left after wheel install. He took my yoke and airbag. I just messaged to request it back.

I'm pissed though that this swap did not give me a horn in the middle of the wheel. I just assumed it would. Tesla is really on my last nerve these days.
Since you're not new to this forum, I'm surprised you assumed you'd get the horn in the middle of the wheel. There's been plenty of discussion/complaining about the fact that you don't. Hopefully you still think the round wheel is an improvement. But yeah, a horn in the normal place would be nice.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ and bmah
Upvote 0
Since you're not new to this forum, I'm surprised you assumed you'd get the horn in the middle of the wheel. There's been plenty of discussion/complaining about the fact that you don't. Hopefully you still think the round wheel is an improvement. But yeah, a horn in the normal place would be nice.
Haven't been that active here for quite some time. Just really struggling to put up with Tesla's total lack of logic in many of the decisions they're making. Seems they've forgotten that ultimately these are supposed to be functional cars, and there are certain things that just aren't to be messed with. They seem far too quick to do things because they 'can', and never ask themselves if they 'should'.

Reactions: brooklyn
Upvote 0
Haven't been that active here for quite some time. Just really struggling to put up with Tesla's total lack of logic in many of the decisions they're making. Seems they've forgotten that ultimately these are supposed to be functional cars, and there are certain things that just aren't to be messed with. They seem far too quick to do things because they 'can', and never ask themselves if they 'should'.
True enough, that’s why I spend so much time here. 🙂 I always know what to expect.

Upvote 0