Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke Steering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe the yoke is limited to the sporty S, and the more practical X will have a wheel? I can see this impacting X sales more than S.

I thought of another vehicle I've driven with a yoke - a go cart. And it had 1/2 turn lock-lock. Worked great. Like MT stated, they just need to amp up the steering gearing, or make it speed sensitive. Is it just a software update? Not sure if steering is mechanical or fly-by-wire.

Last edited:
For those interested--my progress after a week with the car--at this point I have about 400 mile and a dozen or so trips under my belt: Yoke Adventure 3
This is unsafe steering technique that can cost you your hand or arm upon air-bag deployment, as you can read about here. It is much safer to learn to steer underhanded. If find I even have better steering control after retraining myself to do so.

My pipe dream hopes for the steering wheel:

The yoke was indeed a marketing stint for the first few batches of the Model S refresh. Since it is currently explicitly listed as an option on the order page right now, the yoke ends up being an actual option. The Model S will be offered with the round wheel prototypes we've seen, or better yet, the regular steering column with stalks for a lower base price, letting people get a white interior and/or non-white exterior and still be just under $80k to qualify for the (hopefully passed) tax credit.

Certainly too good to be true, but I'd like to hold onto hope that I can get one without the yoke by the time September rolls around (or whenever my LR order gets delivered) before I cancel.

This is unsafe steering technique that can cost you your hand or arm upon air-bag deployment, as you can read about here. It is much safer to learn to steer underhanded. If find I even have better steering control after retraining myself to do so.

Look at the attached link. The article talk about having your hands at 3 and 9, which the yoke promotes. I went into the garage and tried the push/pull method describes and it seems doable, or a version of it seems doable with the yoke. Will have to go try it on the road--maybe Yoke Adventures 4 is in the making?

I know I shouldn't be feeding the troll...

- AP is standard on all Teslas. No need to keep your hands on the yoke/wheel at all times.
- One hand, two hands, no hands... AP doesn't care.
- If you want to rest your hands, try the bottom of the yoke/wheel.

I don't think Tesla is going to have a difficult time finding customers for their new S and Y.

I'd say the nicks complaining here were never interested in a Tesla or an S Plaid.
Good point. I really like the video's from Omar. Shows the Yoke works just fine.
Hey. I’ve got it. We’re going to put 1,000+ horsepower in a car, and give them a steering wheel from a Nintendo.
Well, you know many Nintendo players will think they're qualified now. But I think you are on to something. When will Tesla offer a Bluetooth controller for driving?
For those interested--my progress after a week with the car--at this point I have about 400 mile and a dozen or so trips under my belt: Yoke Adventure 3
OMG, I busted out laughing. "Not a certified Yoke instructor". I think you're doing a great job showing the way.

• Love
Reactions: omarsultan
Look at the attached link. The article talk about having your hands at 3 and 9, which the yoke promotes. I went into the garage and tried the push/pull method describes and it seems doable, or a version of it seems doable with the yoke. Will have to go try it on the road--maybe Yoke Adventures 4 is in the making?
I was not referring to where your hands rested (agree on the 3 and 9) while going straight; I was referring to the hand-over-hand turning you were doing, in which your hands and arms were repeatedly placed in front of the airbag.

If one does not train oneself to use underhanded turning, such that it becomes automatic, it is likely one's hands will be in front of the airbag while making a quick steering maneuver in trying to avoid a crash, where one doesn't have enough time to think and acts out of trained habit.

Reactions: scrapps and VT_EE
OK @SucreTease -- I went for a drive today and focused on using push/pull instead of a variant of the hand-over-hand I have been using for 40 yrs, and....it was pretty good. So, back to thinking about steering again, as I was now using the opposite and and moving it in the opposite direction from instinct, but it works and might actually be better with the yoke--need more time behind the wheel.

So, for a right turn:
  1. Push down with the right hand till my hand is at 6
  2. If I still need to turn more, the left hand grabs the yoke and brings it around to 9
  3. If I still need to turn every more, the right hand now comes back up to 3 where the other side of the yoke is (yoke now inverted) and grabs it and pushes it back down to 6 again
  4. Reverse to un-turn (or getting good at letting the yoke return on its own)
Two things I like about this:
  • Uses back muscles more than shoulder muscles, so easier for more folks
  • The design of the Tesla yoke makes for a really solid hand-off between hands at 6
Anyway, thanks for the pointer--there is likely a Yoke Adventures 4 in the works to show this and a couple other things folks have been yelling at me about.

>>So, for a right turn:
  1. Push down with the right hand till my hand is at 6
  2. If I still need to turn more, the left hand grabs the yoke and brings it around to 9
  3. If I still need to turn every more, the right hand now comes back up to 3 where the other side of the yoke is (yoke now inverted) and grabs it and pushes it back down to 6 again
  4. Reverse to un-turn (or getting good at letting the yoke return on its own)<<
And how do you signal right or left halfway through this ballet?

Reactions: bay74
I don't know about you, but I signal before I start the turn
You must be one of those who doesn’t signal to leave a roundabout then?
Nine out of ten here in Oz leave the blinkers in “roundabout” mode when they actually intend leaving it. This either means cars miss many opportunities to filter out because they think the other car is continuing round, or having seen where it entered make the assumption that it will NOT continue round and pull out anyway. Every so often the inevitable happens and the cars end up occupying the same space.
Sorry, thread creep. Rant over!

Reactions: bay74