Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You can almost smell the Mercedes desperation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Mercedes-AMG GT63-S prototype was at the local Mercedes dealer today. First thing that struck me was that they stole the Tesla design files, made a few cosmetic changes (shave a couple inches off the nose & stuff the extra to puff up the hood, round off the spoiler, flip the window teardrop) and call it a day! They probably couldn't figure out how to make their handles pop out.

Just to be sure I wasn't imagining things, I overlayed the two cars and faded them out. Yep... pretty much the same.

View attachment 342401

The interior, though, is probably another story. I imagine it's far, far superior to any Tesla.

It has more to do with wind tunnel testing than copying designs. A lot of cars now have a similar outline as manufacturers try to optimize wind resistance to maximize efficiency. At highway speeds the majority of energy use is pushing air out of the way. Small changes can make a significant difference.

That interior is gorgeous!!
maxresdefault.jpg

I don't know if you meant that, but I'd certainly enjoy driving in that environment if it had the Tesla battery and drivetrain attached to it!
Maybe my 40+ years of driving Mercedes Benzes prejudiced me, but the interiors did work quite well -- functional and comfortable. Not claiming they were perfect, just quite satisfying.
I like the clean interior of my Model S. But I could live with either one. To me the deciding factor would be what's underneath.

The future does not look good for the German Auto industry... VW CEO Warns Against Possible Auto Industry Crash Due To EVs

While Volkswagen has been releasing constant news about how it’s on board with electric vehicles and the automotive group aims to have millions of electric cars on the road by 2025, its CEO Herbert Diess seems to be leading the efforts against the potential emission reduction requirements.

In addition, he’s going so far as to try to convince us that the entire automotive industry could crash and 100,000 jobs may be lost. Diess said (SZ via Electrek): The transformation in speed and impact is difficult to manage.[…] Such an industry can crash faster than many believe.

The Mercedes entertainment / control interface is absolutely atrocious. Almost as if they came up with something, and then sat there to discuss how they could make it less user friendly. It's bad enough that the interface alone would prevent me from every buying a mercedes.