Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You can almost smell the Mercedes desperation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Naonak

Dec 22, 2015
Kansas
The Mercedes-AMG GT63-S prototype was at the local Mercedes dealer today. First thing that struck me was that they stole the Tesla design files, made a few cosmetic changes (shave a couple inches off the nose & stuff the extra to puff up the hood, round off the spoiler, flip the window teardrop) and call it a day! They probably couldn't figure out how to make their handles pop out.

Just to be sure I wasn't imagining things, I overlayed the two cars and faded them out. Yep... pretty much the same.

Mercedes Tesla.gif

The interior, though, is probably another story. I imagine it's far, far superior to any Tesla.

Yep, I have a W204 C220 and i recognise an awful lot of the interior switch gear. The driver's door power window / electric mirror unit is straight out of the Merc parts bin. Nothing really wrong with that. The Aston Martin DB7 had an awful lot of Ford and Mazda parts...

• Informative
Reactions: unbelievable
They probably couldn't figure out how to make their handles pop out.
To be fair, it took Tesla like 5 years to figure out how to make the handles pop out without breaking every year or two.

Also, MB supplied a lot of the original switchgear for Tesla for a long time (and maybe still does?) so of course its the same. The interior on the E-Class looks hideous to me, so busy and overdone.

Reactions: CaptainJ
The Mercedes-AMG GT63-S prototype was at the local Mercedes dealer today. First thing that struck me was that they stole the Tesla design files, made a few cosmetic changes (shave a couple inches off the nose & stuff the extra to puff up the hood, round off the spoiler, flip the window teardrop) and call it a day!

We do know that Mercedes' parent (Daimler Chrysler) rented a Tesla Model X from Sixt (who had rented it from a couple running a small business) - and then took it to two test tracks, subjected it to heat and vibration tests, took it apart and put it back together (badly):

Mercedes' Parent Company Daimler Dismantled A Rented Tesla Model X For Research

I didn't hear how the couple's court case went. Daimler's lawyers apparently claimed that it never happened, presumably unaware that Tesla cars routinely log what is happening and send it all the data back to Tesla. It would be interesting to know what Tesla saw in the data, while the car was with Mercedes.

I don`t see any copying here. It`s just that aerodynamic principles happen to be the same all over the globe.
That has been the standard geometry for big coupes across all brands for a long time, and the usual visual differentiatiors, namely lights, grill, door/window proportions etc are all typical merc.

Last edited:
"renting cars for tests is common practice in the industry, any damages are just paid from the insurance companies".

Anyone else pissed off about this comment? I know our insurance rates go up about 3 times the rate of inflation every year, and I am sure most insurance policies have exclusions regarding racetrack use.

You see this interface as somehow more modern or more innovative than Tesla's

No, however I see it as other companies trying to innovate their design and become more like Tesla (they aren't necessarily there yet). The interior of the Model S has been the same for the past 6 year's (excluding seat change's) so of course some manufacture's are going to try to make their interface's better (try to) than Tesla. Im glad Tesla is having such a huge impression on other companies that they improve on their design to catch up, that means Tesla is doing something right.