Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Model 3 Standard Range (is being software limited)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering a Model 3 and it seems like I should just call in and get the SR. I don't need the extra range but am researching what else I'm missing out on.

No AP is a drag but I guess that's a software limitation? No streaming music? I have Spotify for that... thanks!

You guys did it right!

Reactions: Mr X
I'm considering a Model 3 and it seems like I should just call in and get the SR. I don't need the extra range but am researching what else I'm missing out on.

No AP is a drag but I guess that's a software limitation? No streaming music? I have Spotify for that... thanks!

You guys did it right!

no live traffic+ worse sound (not sure if I can tell). Regardless it's good to go SR->SR+ (when you're ready) Harder to go the other way..

Right now, I’d eat ramen and vitamin supplements for a year and so would my family to go up to 3P- in white.

3SR WAS the best deal overall but things change every month in Tesla land.

I'm surprised! You guys bought these cars fit the value and it seems to still be the best bang for the buck.

Can anyone sell me on why the P3D- is worth an extra $15k??

If having Corvettes, M3’s, M5’s, C63 AMG, random loud muscle cars, STIs, etc cowering before you at a light doesn’t mean anything then no I can’t sell you on the 15K of value. :)

It’s really only 12K difference anyway because AP doesn’t come with the base SR.

You can lead a horse to water... but yeah unless you just cannot come up with the difference or don’t care about performance at all - it’s the easiest decision ever.

Saw this posted on reddit regarding upgrading SRs

Attachments

• 76CA78B3-625F-4916-8A78-CA23B03ED34F.jpeg
    76CA78B3-625F-4916-8A78-CA23B03ED34F.jpeg
    321.3 KB · Views: 375
  • Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
They are announcing an increase to FSD pricing on the 16th, so maybe they will offer premium connectivity then too?

Maybe. And still waiting on Tesla Insurance as well
Saw this posted on reddit regarding upgrading SRs

SR - $35,400

SR+ - $38,990

35,400 + 4,500 = 39,990

So it costs $1,000 more to upgrade an SR (which is already a software locked SR+) to SR+ when you can just get an SR+ today for $1,000 less?

That price doesn't seem right

They are announcing an increase to FSD pricing on the 16th, so maybe they will offer premium connectivity then too?
There seems to be a lot of guys thinking that they will also release software version 10 on the 16th, as well. One of the features of v10 might be the range upgrade possibility. I have zero proof of that. I’m literally shooting in the dark, but it does make sense.

SR - $35,400

SR+ - $38,990

35,400 + 4,500 = 39,990

So it costs $1,000 more to upgrade an SR (which is already a software locked SR+) to SR+ when you can just get an SR+ today for $1,000 less?

seems like the post delivery penalty..

From the other side of the coin, SR+ owners were offered a $1,500 refund to downgrade. So the SR upgrade price is the cost of AP ($3,000) plus the reverse of the refund.

Yes but their rationale for raising the price of the SR+ an additional $2000 was to include the cost of AP, and the downgrade refund check was calculated as the difference in price between the two models minus 2k for AP. So they're basically providing no incentive for native SR owners to upgrade, sort of like when they were charging $6000 for EAP owners who wanted to upgrade to FSD.

For people who pulled the trigger on an SR long ago and got an SR+ (sans AP) I'm guessing will probably not jump at the offer as it won't be perceived as a particularly good deal - expect to hear lots of people complaining about the current price discrepancy, yada yada.

I assume we'll have to wait for The Tweet for an official word.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Yes but their rationale for raising the price of the SR+ an additional $2000 was to include the cost of AP, and the downgrade refund check was calculated as the difference in price between the two models minus 2k for AP. So they're basically providing no incentive for native SR owners to upgrade, sort of like when they were charging $6000 for EAP owners who wanted to upgrade to FSD.

For people who pulled the trigger on an SR long ago and got an SR+ (sans AP) I'm guessing will probably not jump at the offer as it won't be perceived as a particularly good deal - expect to hear lots of people complaining about the current price discrepancy, yada yada.

I assume we'll have to wait for The Tweet for an official word.

I agree they should incentivize the SR owners somehow. I bet they'll use it as a lever close to Q3/Q4. As far as SR+ complainers, they already have their money. I'm also factoring in a 2.5% cashback on my card for the upgrade, but it has to be a better deal $4.5K.

What's funny is my T option already says SR+ (so I don't have to worry about that bug)

SR - $35,400

SR+ - $38,990

35,400 + 4,500 = 39,990

Many got the extra tax incentive. The only people who got screwed were the ones who bought between July 1st and the price change. Which is a bummer.

So I paid $35,400
+1,200 destination
-$3,850 federal tax
Total: $32,750
If I upgraded my total would be: $37,250.
Compare that to $38,990, plus 1,200 destination, -$1,875 tax which is $38,315.

Still got a better deal.

Many got the extra tax incentive. The only people who got screwed were the ones who bought between July 1st and the price change. Which is a bummer.

So I paid $35,400
+1,200 destination
-$3,850 federal tax
Total: $32,750
If I upgraded my total would be: $37,250.
Compare that to $38,990, plus 1,200 destination, -$1,875 tax which is $38,315.

Still got a better deal.
The federal tax was $3,750, which means your total was actually $33,750, and with upgrade: $38,250 vs the current $38,315.

I suppose you can argue there's a few percent you save because you can get credit card cashback on the upgrade but it's basically a wash.

Also of note since I see you're from SD- CA actually ran out of state rebate funding for 2019 in June. IIRC you'll still get paid but it's going to take a while (Also Trump/EPA could come and axe all the CARB stuff that California's getting this money from) so there's that to consider. They barely mailed mine and I applied four months ago, I can only imagine how long it'd take for people applying now.