Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Model 3 Standard Range (is being software limited)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Roy

Yeah you've still got an SR+, the software locked SRs will say Standard on the screen. I'm in the same boat but have never attempted to go remotely near 100% at a supercharger (didn't Tesla throttle the max charge % of some superchargers a while back?). I don't know what the holdup is about the upcoming downgrade, it could indeed be a legal issue like some posters on here have mentioned or it could be they're still trying to work out some upgrade path that's attractive enough to get most people to bite.

The upgrade shouldn't be outrageous, the current price difference between an SR and SR+ is $3590 including AP, which alone costs $3000. If I had to guess I think they'll initially price it close to that $3590 number (AP mandatory), with perhaps a brief sale to help maximize the number of people who jump. Later on they may threaten to increase the price to further encourage remaining fence-sitters to act.

The only guarantee I can give you is that someone on here will complain about the pricing.

Roy

Yeah you've still got an SR+, the software locked SRs will say Standard on the screen. I'm in the same boat but have never attempted to go remotely near 100% at a supercharger (didn't Tesla throttle the max charge % of some superchargers a while back?). I don't know what the holdup is about the upcoming downgrade, it could indeed be a legal issue like some posters on here have mentioned or it could be they're still trying to work out some upgrade path that's attractive enough to get most people to bite.

The upgrade shouldn't be outrageous, the current price difference between an SR and SR+ is $3590 including AP, which alone costs $3000. If I had to guess I think they'll initially price it close to that $3590 number (AP mandatory), with perhaps a brief sale to help maximize the number of people who jump. Later on they may threaten to increase the price to further encourage remaining fence-sitters to act.

The only guarantee I can give you is that someone on here will complain about the pricing.
AP is included for $2000.
Down grading refund is $1500.
So upgrade cost around $3500 seems reasonable.

Reactions: richtrav
I bought a 2013 S/40. They gave 40 owners 60's; limited at delivery to 40kwh.

At the time, they charged $11,000 to unlock to a 60 and $2500 to enable Supercharing (you had to unlock to a 60 before enabling SC).

I've been happy with the deal. The pack is in pretty good condition having only charged at ~60% for 5+ years. I never chose to unlock, even though they reduced it a year ago to $2500.

Roy, that is cool that you get 240miles per charge.
I only charge up to 80% normally.

I usually charge up to 80% when I am driving around town, and that lasts me several days. I go to 100% on road trips, using superchargers. I have had 3 such trips in the first 3 months with the car: 1) from Miami to Amelia Island with side trips to South Georgia; 2) Miami round trip to Daytona; and 3) Miami round trip to Orlando. Those 3 trips totaled 2,000 miles, and my supercharging bills came to $87.92..

you've still got an SR+, the software locked SRs will say Standard on the screen. I'm in the same boat but have never attempted to go remotely near 100% at a supercharger (didn't Tesla throttle the max charge % of some superchargers a while back?). I don't know what the holdup is about the upcoming downgrade, it could indeed be a legal issue like some posters on here have mentioned or it could be they're still trying to work out some upgrade path that's attractive enough to get most people to bite

I'm the OP on this thread two months ago today, and I had ordered an SR, which I received in April 2019. Was told many weeks ago that a software upgrade was "coming soon" that would decrease the SR+ capability I'd been given (240 miles, etc.) down to SR (220 miles, ...)

I just went out and checked the screen on the car like you suggested, richtrav. Still says "Model 3 Standard plus" on the screen. ...
Despite that I've done software upgrades twice in those two months, I've still got the higher range vehicle. I've never needed it, but was able to charge up to 239 miles for a 4th time just a week ago as a test.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865 and Mr X
I'm the OP on this thread two months ago today, and I had ordered an SR, which I received in April 2019. Was told many weeks ago that a software upgrade was "coming soon" that would decrease the SR+ capability I'd been given (240 miles, etc.) down to SR (220 miles, ...)

I just went out and checked the screen on the car like you suggested, richtrav. Still says "Model 3 Standard plus" on the screen. ...
Despite that I've done software upgrades twice in those two months, I've still got the higher range vehicle. I've never needed it, but was able to charge up to 239 miles for a 4th time just a week ago as a test.

Mine says "Model 3 Standard plus" on the screen, but range is 220. But no AP, Streaming etc. 6/30 delivery. It seems the screen is one thing they didn't update.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: qdeathstar and A2be
What happens when you run it to 0? Does it actually run out or does the car just stop and tell you to charge? Maybe you can still run it below zero and they just put an artificial range number on it.

Also given the larger actual capacity can you safely charge to 100% all the time?

What happens when you run it to 0? Does it actually run out or does the car just stop and tell you to charge? Maybe you can still run it below zero and they just put an artificial range number on it.

Also given the larger actual capacity can you safely charge to 100% all the time?

Yes charge to 100%, per another thread, but no for 0% (really bad for battery). It's a top lock per some anecdotal evidence on another thread.

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
I can't seem to find any solid info regarding upgrading SRs to SR+. I've seen info that says it's been offered to some people and other info that says it's "coming soon". Does anyone know?

Back in June Tesla said they would allow SR owners to upgrade to SR+ "soon"

2 months later... not yet

SR seems like a great value. Lowest monthly payment and then upgrade to SR+ when it's available

Reactions: Phlier and vickh