Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Preferred EQ/Dolby Surround Settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this has been covered in another thread that largely got derailed by the eq reset bugs, but I'd like to know what everyone's preferred EQ settings are and whether you prefer Dolby Surround on or off. I'm sure the optimal settings differ between UHF and standard settings, so please specify what system you have. Also, it's probably also significant what you like to listen to, so please include what type of music you've optimized your settings for.

I'll start:
2016 Model S UHF Sound
EQ: 7.0, 3.0, 0.0, -1.5, 1.0
Dolby surround off.

Optimized for the 90s country channel on Spotify, although I mostly listen to classic rock so this may change. I keep the Dolby Surround off because it makes it feel like all the music's coming from the dashboard, whereas I prefer the more immersive sounds when I have it off (note, I took it to the service center to have it looked at because I thought there was something wrong with the dolby surround, but they said it's working like it should).

What are your favorite settings?

2013 with standard sound.

6.5/4.5/0/4.5/4.5 are my usual settings.

I have had a couple loaners with the UHFS and i thought the sub was pretty good. Completely agree that turning the Dolby off is the way to go. The sound coming out of the windshield effect just didn't work for my ears.

Dolby off
LH Amp and door speakers
SoundQubed sub in stock box
Nice +7 +5+ 3 + 5 +7.

Volume 5. This prevents the rear bumper cover from rattling off. Volume six everything is vibrating and I throttle back the sub. Anything over 8 is painful.

One thing I've noticed is that if I listen to current pop music it sounds bass heavy on my regular EQ setting. I guess music that's produced today is just mixed way more bass heavy than classic rock era music.

Edit: also glad to hear that most prefer their Dolby surround set to off. At first I thought there was something wrong with my system as I didn't care for it at all.

My Dolby setting keeps reverting to OFF whenever I get in my car. I thought the audio setting reversion issue was fixed? My equalizer settings stick, but not Dolby.
When you left the car, was the audio source set to Radio or a low-quality stream? I've noticed the same thing. It doesn't happen if I leave the audio source set to USB.

And to answer the original question, I mostly listen to USB audio (with lossless compression) and the sound is much fuller and richer with Dolby Surround on. I can see where Dolby off is preferable for lower quality audio streams, though. Current EQ: 4.0 | 5.0 | 6.5 | 7.5 | 6.0

As for the "music is coming out of the dashboard" comment: I've found that moving the crosshairs back a bit with the controls in the equalizer panel seems to help pull the stereo image back into the car. Remember, though, that Dolby Surround isn't designed to have the same sound coming out of the front and rear speakers, unlike old-school stereo fader controls where you could pull the sound image all the way to the rear of the car.

My understanding is that Dolby Surround uses 4 audio channels: left, right, center, and surround (rear). But if your audio source only has 2 stereo channels, the software codec has to synthesize the center and surround channels on the fly. This sounds good with high quality audio files, but not so much with lower-quality streams.

Last edited:
This is how I have set up mine (Model X driver :) )
Works pretty well, especially when playing live concerts thru Spotify
(Tested it with Metallica Live in Mexico, in case you’ve missen it, it’s Rocktober ;) )
51C5A60C-C7D5-423C-82EA-3DCF717C28BD.jpeg

I’m a bass and highs guy. Especially with vol at
8.0 and up, the mid range starts to over power. Usual listening range is 6-8 vol, with some fun at 8-9...rarely go above 9.
UHFS
Dolby OFF
11.0. 5.0 0.0 4.0 9.0
Listen to Slacker and HD radio

Reactions: No ICE