Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Upcoming Model Y Order Cancelation Email

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw this on facebook:

“Tesla canceled the delivery of my car because I needed an extra day to get funding for my deposit. It appears that if you go with 3rd party financing, they do not allow you enough time to work out the financing. I was approved by Tesla and they paired me with Wells Fargo. I prefer to go with my Municipal Credit Union, plus they offered me a lower rate. Tesla was not willing to give the time to work out the final details. — feeling disappointed.”

Saw this on facebook:

“Tesla canceled the delivery of my car because I needed an extra day to get funding for my deposit. It appears that if you go with 3rd party financing, they do not allow you enough time to work out the financing. I was approved by Tesla and they paired me with Wells Fargo. I prefer to go with my Municipal Credit Union, plus they offered me a lower rate. Tesla was not willing to give the time to work out the final details. — feeling disappointed.”
So what's the timing needed to go with 3rd party financing. Should you apply once you get the VIN or right before as you near your EDD?

Here's my experience:
MY AWD reservation booked in the first half of 2020 (price locked in at lowest MY price)
Received the Dec 2 email
Filled out Registration and Payment over the weekend
Estimated Delivery updated from TBD to March overnight

Oh and I bought this reservation off someone
You should be very near the front of the queue for delivery. What was the cost of the reservation?

I ordered MY 7/25. VIN showed up on 11/14 (edd was 11/28-12/2). and I put my order on hold on 11/21 (until 1/1/22)
and today I got 'Your Upcoming Model Y Order Cancellation' email saying "If your order remains on hold on December 9, 2021, or is placed on hold again, we will assume that you no longer wish to purchase a vehicle."

I mean I put my order on hold less than 2 weeks ago and I got this email already. I don't get it

I ordered MY 7/25. VIN showed up on 11/14 (edd was 11/28-12/2). and I put my order on hold on 11/21 (until 1/1/22)
and today I got 'Your Upcoming Model Y Order Cancellation' email saying "If your order remains on hold on December 9, 2021, or is placed on hold again, we will assume that you no longer wish to purchase a vehicle."

I mean I put my order on hold less than 2 weeks ago and I got this email already. I don't get it
I think the initial wave was to go after people who ordered 6 months or more, maybe they are contacting people with shorter lengths of time now in a second wave.

Reactions: Naija King
Based on my talk with the call center, it seems like they finally got strict about the rules. They specifically quoted the section in the order agreement about no holds 90 days beyond the order date.

If you do not take delivery of your Vehicle within ninety (90) days of placing your order at no fault of Tesla’s, we may cancel your order and keep your
Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee. Alternatively, Tesla may give you the option to reconfigure your Vehicle at the
current pricing.

I couldn't really argue with that since that is what it says. It just is unfortunate that they let it go for so long, and are now enforcing it. Though, that should maybe help provide more accurate delivery estimates without the variable of who knows how many orders on hold.

Based on my talk with the call center, it seems like they finally got strict about the rules. They specifically quoted the section in the order agreement about no holds 90 days beyond the order date.

I couldn't really argue with that since that is what it says. It just is unfortunate that they let it go for so long, and are now enforcing it. Though, that should maybe help provide more accurate delivery estimates without the variable of who knows how many orders on hold.
The problem is that wasn't in the order agreement until 11/24. Your order agreement probably says no such thing. In fact it probably says you have 3 months to take delivery once they assign you a EDD/VIN in the order agreement they sent you when you ordered.

The holds are probably contributing to the delivery variability.

They should have cut them off a long time ago.

Reactions: Naija King
The problem is that wasn't in the order agreement until 11/24. Your order agreement probably says no such thing. In fact it probably says you have 3 months to take delivery once they assign you a EDD/VIN in the order agreement they sent you when you ordered.

I looked back and you are correct that the wording I quoted was not in that agreement. This is the only condition listed -

If you are picking up your Vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will notify you of when we expect your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do not respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made available for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee.

I would still have to take delivery by the end of the year based on this.

I take that back, it was in the original. Just placed further down in the agreement.

No Resellers; Discon􀀖nua􀀖on; Cancella􀀖on. Tesla and its affiliates sell cars directly to end-consumers, and we may unilaterally cancel any order that we
believe has been made with a view toward resale of the Vehicle or that has otherwise been made in bad faith. We may also cancel your order and refund
your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transporta􀀶on Fee if we discon􀀶nue a product, feature or op􀀶on a􀁋er the 􀀶me you place your order or if we
determine that you are ac􀀶ng in bad faith. We work to fulfill your order as quickly as we can. If you do not take delivery of your Vehicle within ninety (90)
days of placing your order at no fault of Tesla’s, we may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transporta􀀶on Fee. Alterna􀀶vely,
Tesla may give you the op􀀶on to reconfigure your Vehicle at the current pricing.

Sorry for the funny characters, it was a copy and paste from a saved pdf.

I looked back and you are correct that the wording I quoted was not in that agreement. This is the only condition listed -

I would still have to take delivery by the end of the year based on this.
Are you sure that is your agreement and not just the current one?

Here are the two sections from mine:

1638488558362.png

1638488575982.png

Delivery; Transfer of Title. If you are picking up your Vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will notify you of when we expect your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do not respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made available for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within three (3) months of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee.

No Resellers; Discontinuation; Cancellation. Tesla and its affiliates sell cars directly to end-consumers, and we may unilaterally cancel any order that we believe has been made with a view toward resale of the Vehicle or that has otherwise been made in bad faith. We may also cancel your order and refund your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee if we discontinue a product, feature or option after the time you place your order or if we determine that you are acting in bad faith.

They can't apply the new version of the agreement to people that signed the old version... (I think they changed it on 11/24/2021.)

• Funny
Reactions: Ogre

You are not alone.... we both have similar situation..... my OD was 7/11, I was on Hold for about 10 days and received the Cancellation email... I released my Hold and my current EDD is 12/17 - 12/31

Reactions: kingpinscher

I got the exact same email for an order I have on hold. Order date of 7/1, placed on hold in early November. I suspect this is another wave.

Are you sure that is your agreement and not just the current one?

Here are the two sections from mine:

View attachment 739936
View attachment 739937

They can't apply the new version of the agreement to people that signed the old version... (I think they changed it on 11/24/2021.)

Yes, it is the original. The version of the agreement is Motor Vehicle Order Agreement (v. 20210611 en_US).

My order agreement from the CyberTruck reservation is totally different and doesn't have that language. It also has a one-week window to schedule delivery versus the three days one.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
Yes, it is the original. The version of the agreement is Motor Vehicle Order Agreement (v. 20210611 en_US).

My order agreement from the CyberTruck reservation is totally different and doesn't have that language. It also has a one-week window to schedule delivery versus the three days one.
Ok, they changed it earlier than 11/24 then. My agreement is version: (v. 20210128 en_US). So they changed to sometime between May and June 11th.)

Reactions: mjatx