Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your wait time may be even longer. Hertz ordered 100,000 Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m guessing these are all going to be LFP SR models? I’d imagine that’d work better for them because it wouldn’t hurt them so much to sit at 100% SOC like they’ll certainly do on many occasions…
Wouldn't figure they'd sacrifice long term battery health vs. "training" customers to find a SC when they hit that 10% battery left mark. I bet they also have data that shows most customers don't actually put that many miles on a rental in a day, and a 150-200 mile ish range is going to be plenty, no need to constantly load 100% SOC.

What'll be really interesting is how many "halp, I have no more power!" roadside assistance calls they field from customers that aren't able to factor their driving needs, battery drain, and proximity to a super charger and avoid running out of juice.

Supposedly the Hertz order is for 100,000 Tesla Model 3 vehicles (to be delivered over 14 months.)
But as the press has said and Hertz Invests in Largest Electric Vehicle Rental Fleet and Partners with Seven-Time Super Bowl Champion Tom Brady to Headline New Campaign says, some will be available starting next month.

Beginning in early November and expanding through year end, customers will be able to rent a Tesla Model 3 at Hertz airport and neighborhood locations in U.S. major markets and select cities in Europe. To learn more, visit hertz.com/ev.

Like the Tesla loaners, they will be most likely locked in chill mode which will be a good thing. Cannot see how rental vehicles can flourish yet with EV's simply because you cannot charge at home all the time and will need to rely on superchargers, going to be quite the challenge most of the time if you ask me.

I am going to need a car in Florida for a 2 week vacation early January, no way would I rent a Tesla for the reasons mentioned above.
I find Tesla to be the best rental cars.
And I’m talking eg in Colorado snow and mountains.
Most rental cars are not used for everyday domestic use, it’s mostly corporate, tourism, trips, relatives, etc. Usually there’s super chargers and destinations with chargers in the mix

I read through the press release, there is no word that mentions Hertz is buying brand new Tesla vehicles in this deal. Therefore legally speaking, Tesla can deliver pre-owned cars to Hertz and call it a day.

Also according to Hertz, the rental price for those Teslas will be "similar to our premium and luxury vehicles".

Hertz is going to buy used vehicles from Tesla. First off there aren't any on the market right now or for the foreseeable future. Secondly Hertz buys new vehicles keeps them for a short time while renting them, then sells them off to the secondary market.

I read through the press release, there is no word that mentions Hertz is buying brand new Tesla vehicles in this deal. Therefore legally speaking, Tesla can deliver pre-owned cars to Hertz and call it a day.

Also according to Hertz, the rental price for those Teslas will be "similar to our premium and luxury vehicles".
Press releases do not contain the actual contract so this is a pretty ridiculous assumption to make off a little blurb. The major rental companies purchase new cars, they don't buy used. They keep them for a year or two and sell them at auction.

$42k/vehicle for used M3 SR+? I know the used car market is ridiculous right now, but with deliveries planned over the course of 14 months if that were true the Hertz guy who negotiated this deal should be terminated immediately. Pretty sure they'll be brand new ;).

$42k/vehicle for used M3 SR+? I know the used car market is ridiculous right now, but with deliveries planned over the course of 14 months if that were true the Hertz guy who negotiated this deal should be terminated immediately. Pretty sure they'll be brand new ;).
Also, if what Elon is saying is true, Hertz paid full price for each M3, the guy at Hertz who signed off on this deal should be fired. If you buy 100,000 cars from one manufacturer, you should never pay full price. Even if there are no other options for EVs, hold off for either a better price or wait for one of the legacy automakers. Either Elon is lying about the price paid by Hertz or this is just a good reason why Hertz tanked once already.
Maybe this is why none of the other rental car companies have purchased Teslas in quantity?

• Disagree
Reactions: mark95476
Also, if what Elon is saying is true, Hertz paid full price for each M3, the guy at Hertz who signed off on this deal should be fired. If you buy 100,000 cars from one manufacturer, you should never pay full price. Even if there are no other options for EVs, hold off for either a better price or wait for one of the legacy automakers. Either Elon is lying about the price paid by Hertz or this is just a good reason why Hertz tanked once already.
Maybe this is why none of the other rental car companies have purchased Teslas in quantity?
True, but I'm sure there are more details of this agreement that we're not privy to. Supercharger cost, repair SLAs, etc., are some things I'm sure Hertz received a nice deal on. All speculation of course.

Maybe they locked in a current price for the future purchases so technically what Elon said is true. If the recent trend of price increases continue through next year (probably not) It will be a nice deal to have the M3 price locked in.
Also, I wonder if this is illustrative of the Hertz analysts believing that the tax incentive will become a reality. An incremental tax savings of around $7K per vehicle is certainly enough to flip an IRR to the good.

Reactions: tangible1
I feel bad for the QA guy at Hertz. Imagine having to check up on all those panel gaps!
Wish I had some panel gaps to b**ch about. Never saw anything weird on any of my Teslas. I suspect they are not all that common, and neither can I imagine any rental customer going around checking how panels fit. They just want to get on the road as they have better things to do.

I rented a Mustang in Florida, and it rained on me on the way to Epcot. Got soaked from the water pouring off the roof and in through the top of the door. But you don't hear anyone complaining about panel gaps or moulding fit on Mustangs. I've never had rain leak into my Teslas.

Since people pay attention to how their rentals drive, I suspect Hertz will make sure they give the customer a good experience, but I'm not sure that panel gaps affect the driving experience. I think it's hilarious when people get out their micrometers and steel rules and measure how much gap there is where the hatch meets the roof, when it's the rubber moulding that keeps the rain out. But maybe I don't have a wild enough imagination.

Wish I had some panel gaps to b**ch about. Never saw anything weird on any of my Teslas. I suspect they are not all that common, and neither can I imagine any rental customer going around checking how panels fit. They just want to get on the road as they have better things to do.

I rented a Mustang in Florida, and it rained on me on the way to Epcot. Got soaked from the water pouring off the roof and in through the top of the door. But you don't hear anyone complaining about panel gaps or moulding fit on Mustangs. I've never had rain leak into my Teslas.

Since people pay attention to how their rentals drive, I suspect Hertz will make sure they give the customer a good experience, but I'm not sure that panel gaps affect the driving experience. I think it's hilarious when people get out their micrometers and steel rules and measure how much gap there is where the hatch meets the roof, when it's the rubber moulding that keeps the rain out. But maybe I don't have a wild enough imagination.
Guy, it was a joke.

• Funny
Reactions: 804son

Once the internet meme gets going, there are a lot of parrots.

Curious how charging is gonna play out. I’m guessing Tesla will bill Hertz directly and then they’ll add it to your bill when you return the vehicle; wonder what their upcharge will be. Also curious if they’re gonna be installing level 2 or even level 3 chargers at their rental locations, that’s gonna be a pretty big capital investment.
I live near their corporate headquarters and they are EV conscious inasmuch as they have dozens of EV chargers scattered throughout their garages and parking lots for employees only. Unfortunately, they only have one charger dedicated for customers in front of their rental building and that's been out of service for months.