Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Youtuber Ratarossa buys a Tesla Model S for £7000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TL;DW - Pays £7k for a moon mileage model s, is shocked it’s as ****ed as a taxi someone’s been desperate to get rid of for about £10k under valuation.

I wonder if the next episode will be a new 12v battery has fixed all the issues and Tesla have diagnosed wrong? Doubtful, but it would be amusing.

I too follow Ratarossa. He should have stuck to Ferraris. I think he may explore the third party battery fixers to get it back on the road. I don't think this type of thing does EV's any favours though. I've recently noticed an increase in general anti EV feeling.

I too follow Ratarossa. He should have stuck to Ferraris. I think he may explore the third party battery fixers to get it back on the road. I don't think this type of thing does EV's any favours though. I've recently noticed an increase in general anti EV feeling.
Recently? Do you not get online much? The tabloids have been on an unrelenting mission to destroy EV's for at least the last 8 months.

I hope he does get a 3rd party to sort the battery. I'm a big fan of these videos where people get knackered old cars and do them up

If the £17k quote is for one of the new '90' 350volt packs with clost to 90kWh usable, actually he could end up with a Model S that has close to 300 miles of real life range for <£25k.

3rd party 'repairs' are pretty dodgy if you look at the US forums. The best thing to do with failing packs is to replace them.

@wk057 offers a really good service for US owners, with the ability to 'upgrade' to 100 pack. Sadly currently I don't think there are any UK based vendors who can offer the same service.

I'm budgeting around £20k for a pack replacement on our 75D X at somepoint around 2030. That's still far cheaper than buying a new car.

I only ever see EV bashing in the press. Everyone I know seems OK with them or at worst indifferent.
You need different friends.
most of my friends have been surprised ( if not shocked ) with my super positive experience - after of course they stopped laughing at me for buying a tesla ( im a gear head at heart)

Those who bring out the fires, quickly get muffled but the 1500 to 25 ICE to EV fire ratio statistic.

most of my friends have been surprised ( if not shocked ) with my super positive experience - after of course they stopped laughing at me for buying a tesla ( im a gear head at heart)

Those who bring out the fires, quickly get muffled but the 1500 to 25 ICE to EV fire ratio statistic.
I actually think there is a legitimate concern over fires. They may not be as prevalent as ICE fires, though there are not many old EV's and the ICE fires may be more in old cars so that may not be a fair statistic. The difference is when an EV catches fire you can't put it out.
One day an EV is going to catch fire in a multi storey car park or an underground car park in London or a cross channel Ferry and it is going to cause major damage or even loss of life and the press are going to have a total field day with it and then as a knee jerk reaction people will start banning EV's from similar places and they will love that as well. Even if the fire actually starts in the ICE car next to the EV or its arson the EV will get the blame and the damage will be done.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I actually think there is a legitimate concern over fires. They may not be as prevalent as ICE fires, though there are not many old EV's and the ICE fires may be more in old cars so that may not be a fair statistic. The difference is when an EV catches fire you can't put it out.
One day an EV is going to catch fire in a multi storey car park or an underground car park in London or a cross channel Ferry and it is going to cause major damage or even loss of life and the press are going to have a total field day with it and then as a knee jerk reaction people will start banning EV's from similar places and they will love that as well. Even if the fire actually starts in the ICE car next to the EV or its arson the EV will get the blame and the damage will be done.
I agree with that.
What makes me wonder tho, it appears those that catch fire are units that have been left parked for a time. Seems like battery management system that has no energy to manage because the battery is depleted. ?

I don't necessarily agree with a statement that "older" ice cars catch fire. Im pretty sure the statistics show otherwise