Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Youtuber Ratarossa buys a Tesla Model S for £7000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
most of my friends have been surprised ( if not shocked ) with my super positive experience - after of course they stopped laughing at me for buying a tesla

Back in 2015 when I got an MS, and that was a rare thing, my mates thought I was mental to spend that amount on a car (I've aimed to be eco for a long time; back then I had had a number of VW BlueMotion in a row ... look how that turned out for Eco ... and in a fit of peak I looked around, didn't know Tesla existed before then nor that EV could do 200+ miles, so VW did me a favour ... whilst paying up billions in USA and claimed "no case to answer" in EU of course ...). Anyway, I assumed I need to pay the extra ponies for the extra performance ponies ... so 4x price of a VW BlueMotion.

So ... they all wanted a ride. Set off, 5-up, to nearby main road. Stop, "This thing weights over 2 tonnes you know" ... then did the count-down "5..4...3" and launched :) ... "2...1... that's 60"

I may have been Eco, but they were a nice share of envy-green

Going to have to count-down to 2, rather than 3, if&when I get a Plaid and take them for a demo ...

They may not be as prevalent as ICE fires, though there are not many old EV's and the ICE fires may be more in old cars so that may not be a fair statistic.

I wonder if there are figures (and newspaper reports) in Norway? high percentage of EV there, so they are likely to have had all the gamut of experiences - good and bad

it appears those that catch fire are units that have been left parked for a time. Seems like battery management system that has no energy to manage because the battery is depleted. ?

The ones I have read about have been a short-circuit, which has developed over time, and then got to the point where the current leakage is sufficient to start a runaway reaction. All? GM Bolts were recalled for that reason (fault in construction / assembly of the batteries for the whole fleet - Ouch! Other brands, using same battery supplier, had same recall issue)

I actually think there is a legitimate concern over fires. They may not be as prevalent as ICE fires, though there are not many old EV's and the ICE fires may be more in old cars so that may not be a fair statistic. The difference is when an EV catches fire you can't put it out.
One day an EV is going to catch fire in a multi storey car park or an underground car park in London or a cross channel Ferry and it is going to cause major damage or even loss of life and the press are going to have a total field day with it and then as a knee jerk reaction people will start banning EV's from similar places and they will love that as well. Even if the fire actually starts in the ICE car next to the EV or its arson the EV will get the blame and the damage will be done.

A Zafira took out an entire multi-story in Cork, Ireland a few years ago. When it happens the bill will be big.

We're in Belgrade at the moment and a Model X lit up 2 weeks ago in the very same parking area where we park.

Model_X.jpg

Given where the damage is, it looks more like a front motor fire than a battery pack fire?

A Zafira took out an entire multi-story in Cork, Ireland a few years ago. When it happens the bill will be big.

We're in Belgrade at the moment and a Model X lit up 2 weeks in the very same parking area where we park.

View attachment 963443

Given where the damage is, it looks more like a front motor fire than a battery pack fire?
Or something in the frunk?

So this wasn't EV related fire.
BTW - both of my E46 BMW's lost to the fire were caused by a known HVAC issue that BMW always denied - similarly to this Zafira.

What's wrong with Germans? :)

• Funny
Reactions: Avendit
I removed the swirl flaps on my E61 530D and replaced with blanking plates as I was really worried about this happening. Appeared quite a common occurrence on the BMW forums.

I never had diesels - never liked the sounds of the engines and just preferred petrol engines. But for the many years I had BMWs all the forums were full of scare stories around swirl flaps and diesels going pop

Both the BMWs I owned had the masterpiece that was the B58 6 cylinder petrol engine.

forgive me father for I have sinned. My last BMW was a 4 cylinder base engine. I decided to spend my budget on msport kit and pretty things rather than an engine I had realised was never going to be properly used on roads these days (bah humbug) and wouldn't be as fuel efficient (prices were rocketing at the time).

everything else had been glorious 6-cyls until then.

We're in Belgrade at the moment and a Model X lit up 2 weeks ago in the very same parking area where we park.

View attachment 963443

There was a case in Wham bam Tesla cam a few weeks ago. Car caught on fire while parked . police were like "meh EV's what you gonna do" until the owner managed to retrieve the sentry footage which had survived and turned out some rando had walked up to the car. poured petrol over the front and set it on fire!