Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Wash-by-handers” in Northeast, what do you do in the Winter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The real answer is my car stays dirty and unwashed for 4-5 months. You wouldn't watch to chance using a waterless wash with that much dirt and salt, scratching the paint etc. I tell myself that I would bring it over to a DIY touchless car wash bay a few times over the winter, but I haven't done that in years. When you car never sees temperatures above freezing for weeks at a time, it is best to just leave it dirty.

The real answer is my car stays dirty and unwashed for 4-5 months. You wouldn't watch to chance using a waterless wash with that much dirt and salt, scratching the paint etc. I tell myself that I would bring it over to a DIY touchless car wash bay a few times over the winter, but I haven't done that in years. When you car never sees temperatures above freezing for weeks at a time, it is best to just leave it dirty.

yup. that's what I do. Similar weather here in northern Nevada. I wait till spring and pleasantly surprised to see I bought a silver car instead of a black one :D

yup. that's what I do. Similar weather here in northern Nevada. I wait till spring and pleasantly surprised to see I bought a silver car instead of a black one :D

I thought I was the only one! Relieved to see that I'm not!

I agree completely. Wash wax all is a much higher quality waterless car wash than all the other brands. It also is meant to be used with a wet cloth for the first wipe then once it is clean you dry with a fresh towel. I used it on the road grime during the last snow storm in Seattle. Spray the are till it is dripping wet with wash wax all. Wait 1-2 minutes for it to pull the grime into the liquid. Use a sopping wet microfiber towel with a heavy nap to remove the grime. Rotate the towel to a clean side with every wipe. Make sure you have lifted all the grime off the car. If not spray one more time then wipe with a fresh side of the sopping wet towel. Then dry and buff with a fine nap microfiber towel.

You will get some water on the floor with this but not more than the snow melting off your cars wheel wells.

Never lived in the northeast, but I lived for about 25 years in North Dakota, and didn't have a garage for most of that time. The car just stayed dirty in winter. Actually, my cars stayed dirty all year except for about the first year of ownership. It's a car.

• Funny
Reactions: afadeev
I just wait for a good day. It's rarely Below Freezing for a month, occasionally yes.
I drain the hose every time. Use Hot Water which is not that hot by the time I reach the car.

I do have a garage that rarely is below freezing, especially if it's warm enough outside to wash.

Occasionally I go to a Hand Wash Bay at Scrub A Dub it's to cold to long.

When Vehicles are Older I might use a Touchless to get the worst off, but I'm never thrilled with the results.

I'm in MA and NH.

I love washing my own car. It's like meditation to me and I also know I'm not scratching the crap out of the car by doing it myself.

I've had my car since June and wash it myself about every 2 to 3 weeks. But the upcoming winter is giving my shivers before it even gets cold. Here in the northeast, we remove the hoses and winterize the outdoor faucets.

So does this mean my car stays dirty for up to five months until I can wash it in the Spring? Or do you guys cheat and take it to a car wash?

EDIT: Cars get WAY too dirty in the winter here to use water-less/rinse-less in the winter. It would still scratch.
Just curious, how did you care for other cars you may have owned, during the winter months, in the past?

Last edited:
I do a touchless car wash bay to get the salt and sand off. For most of the winter, this keeps the car acceptably clean. If I need it cleaner, then after the touchless wash, I do the rinseless technique inside my garage with ONR.

But like others have said, I don't really need the car to sparkle during winter, since it's going to get very dirty very frequently.

I also don't do the touchless wash until the roads are dry. If it's wet at all, the tires kick up a ton of salt/sand onto the car, so by the time you drive home, it looks like you never did a wash.

Another thing that helps immensely is to apply a ceramic coating while the weather is still nice. I do homeowner-grade coating once a year. Once you have that coating, the touchless car wash gets your car really really clean because less stuff can cling onto your clear coat.

Reactions: KenC
A number of you recommended home ceramic coating. any particular videos you'd recommend to watch to make sure I do it correctly the first try?

I just surfed YT a bit until I got an idea of what's involved. Homeowner-grade ceramic coating just means it's very forgiving to work with, and it's hard to mess up. The tradeoff is that it doesn't last as long. But it will be good for at least a year.

Basically you apply the stuff with the applicator until you see that the surface is wet. Less is more; you don't need a lot on the applicator at all. Make a pass in both horizontal and vertical direction to ensure coverage. Do 1 panel at a time. Wait until the wetness turns a bit hazy (about 2 min if you're applying at comfy room temp), then wipe it off gently with a MF cloth. It's actually really similar to doing a carnauba wax job but easier, IMO and lasts longer.

Only gotcha is to make sure you wipe off every part you applied it on. If you forget a spot, it will cure too thick and make that spot permanently hazy. Well semi-permanently. You can buff it out, or you can wait it out (a year or so); it will fade away. If it's cold when you apply (50F), you'll want to wait a bit longer before wiping off. Anything colder than 50F, it probably won't cure properly and you're just wasting it.

Last edited: