Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

057 Technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you are saying the “premium” model s warranty for a 2015 covers both drive units but NOT hv battery? Does it cover everything else on the s mechanically too?
XCare covers the drive unit and thousands of other components of your Model S. To name a few-
  • Electric Motor/Drive Unit(s)
  • MCU
  • Onboard Computer System
  • Suspension (Including Air)
  • Internal Charger
  • HVAC System
  • Autonomous Driving Sensors
  • Doors Handles/ Falcon Wing Doors
  • Sunroof
  • Touchscreens
  • Actuators
  • Battery Thermal Management

Me no expert, but actuarial science is not simple.

Also, it seems like only Tesla could provide some of the necessary data required to profitably sell battery insurance.

This is just speculation, but my guess is that selling extended warranty plans put 057 out of business.
I suspect you are correct; the business plan was not sustainable, and the company ran out of funds. If another company bought the assets, they're likely not going to stand behind the previous company's commitments/ warranty plans, and customers are screwed... A painful experience for all those who trusted that 057 would do the right thing.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Me no expert, but actuarial science is not simple.

Also, it seems like only Tesla could provide some of the necessary data required to profitably sell battery insurance.

This is just speculation, but my guess is that selling extended warranty plans put 057 out of business.
I dono asking $2k for a warranty from 10 people and 1 fails you're even which seems reasonable. Also I paid $1500 for the warranty after the 100 upgrade and I've got like 2k more miles before it's up anyway and I'm about to drive across the country gain which will be the final void mileage anyway so I'd say that it was a reasonable business plan given that a lot of packs don't fail before the warranty expires.

Reactions: SO16 and zoomer0056
I dono asking $2k for a warranty from 10 people and 1 fails you're even which seems reasonable. Also I paid $1500 for the warranty

But that's just conjecture. You only paid $1.5k, not $2k... and what if they're getting 2 or 3 failures for every 10? Maybe they sold a few hundred warranties at $1.5k.

Maybe they sold the warranties to solve an existing cash flow problem, and it seemed to be working out great... then the reaper came calling as 20-30% of the batteries started dying.

Maybe the battery monitoring device gave them a sense of confidence that was unwarranted... perhaps it even missed some things.

Maybe every owner with a 10 year old Model S snatched up their 057 warranty like it was a free lunch... and it turned out to be a very good deal for many of them, until the financial equation started to implode. Like all ponzi schemes, the ones who get out early are happy investors.

For those of you that read this far, I'm just being a storyteller, I don't have any concrete evidence, and just like thinking about what might have happened.

It's hard for me to imagine anyone scenario that would cause this much silence, other than "oh crap, 40 people are hounding me for replacement batteries and I can't afford to buy them".

A buyout scenario where the new owners are okay with destroying all customer relations? Seems unlikely.

A legal complication (sued by a few customers) that would cause the company to abandon the other customers? Seems unlikely.

Perhaps I'm projecting because I've been in some very stressful business situations in my youth, but this smells like a textbook case of "talented business owner thriving until one day something goes very wrong and so he runs away to save his own health and sanity".

Happy to be proven wrong.

And just want to add that if/when Jason reads this, it isn't meant as a character attack. I believe strongly in the power of forgiveness.

I learned web technologies as a 12 year old. Somehow by dumb luck in my mid teens, I stumbled upon a business owner who wanted me to create a website for them... I wasn't seeking clients, but was happy to put my skills to work.

Word got out and a few friends of that business owner also contacted me. With little life experience, no foresight, and no mentorship (low income, single uneducated parent), I said "yes" to everyone that asked.

Strapped to my desk and eyes glued to the screen, I wasn't very communicative. I let one of the client's emails sit for days because I thought it more important to get the work done. To my surprise, that client told another client about my lack of communication, and before I knew it I had angry, telling, swearing voicemails. I was just a kid... so I avoided that conflict. It was a stressful time.

The End.

I'm not trying to compare Jason to an inexperienced child, just want to tell of my experience from a lifetime ago to let anyone reading this understand that my prior post was not written in judgement.

Perhaps... in all seriousness... if I'm correct about my assumption, Jason will come clean and explain what happened and why the business was dissolved. And in all seriousness, perhaps the members here will not only forgive him for what's happened, but perhaps there's an opportunity here. Certainly Jason is talented, and certainly we could all benefit from independent Tesla repair service. Perhaps there's a crowdfunding opportunity here.

You're jumping to conclusions... We don't know if that happened or not.
What other conclusion could there be ?

The place of business is empty and up for sale or lease.

No one answers the phone or the emails or posts on TMC anymore.

The LLC has been dissolved in North Carolina.

Seems pretty obvious to me 057 technology is no more.

You're jumping to conclusions... We don't know if that happened or not.
There’s really no reason to jump to the defense of people that have taken tens of thousands of dollars in customer money and skipped town with a flimsy excuse of “golly gee sure wish I could tell y’all what’s going on but, you know, pesky lawyers amirite” - after well over a year of increasingly flimsy excuses and failure to deliver leading up to it.

If you take a bunch of peoples’ money and then go completely dark with no explanation you don’t get the benefit of the doubt. I get that 057 is some sort of demi-god around here but we’re doing nobody favors by normalizing this sort of behavior. It’s BS. There is NO excuse for it. Let’s stop trying to find one.

Let’s not go throwing good money after bad. Can anyone in good conscience say they’d give this business more money on a promise to deliver something in the future, knowing what we know today?

I wasn't suggesting we just start writing checks... but Tesla hasn't scaled service as quickly as they have production (IMO). There are many places with "service drought".

Perhaps there's some scenario where Jason's knowledge and experience can be put to good use through a franchise model, and those who are owed warranty service can still be taken care of. I'm not saying I have some concrete plan drawn up, just thinking out loud. Lots of smart people on these forums.

I imagine running a business takes more than betting on 1 in 10 chances, how about expenses, projections, salaries, insurances, inventories, cash flows, investments, talent retention, trainings, accounting, legals, business plans, any compliances ... ? it is especially hard for small business owners/starters ...

I am always fascinated by what neurologist/psychologist called "cognitive bias", and what politicians called "trust and verify" or "not trust and verify". In these days, there are computer bots, human bots making it much harder to trust anything on the internet. I hope one day battery repairs can be as easy as driving down to a local mechanic, any current "hacking" solutions and knowledges impress me on the youtube/forums but that pretty much ends there for me ... for I have been burned in another KickStarter project that the projector is known, updates include convincing technical designs, test results with graphs, out of spec initial product and has to redesign and remake (again with test results and graphs), improved designs works with results, claiming hold up by custom, pictures of shipment arrivals, even asking for shipment address confirmation ... then eventually no more updates, dead silence ... of course all of those previous updates are made up as no one ever received anything, but I am impressed that one can go that length to pocket a few million dollars!

Last edited: