Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10-30 Adapter Sold Out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was discussed in another thread I read but that most thought it was a big code issue. The fear being the outlet being used for a device that required the neutral at some point.
Not as evil to make an adapter. Clearly mark it Tesla use only and keep it with your UMC.

Not as much risk as swapping out an outlet.

I’d get the one from evseadapters

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and AWDtsla
That was discussed in another thread I read but that most thought it was a big code issue. The fear being the outlet being used for a device that required the neutral at some point.
Post #15, talks about this. Basically leave the outlet alone, get the 14-30 adapter and wire a 10-30 plug -> 14-30 receptacle. Just link the neutral to ground in the plug to receptacle adapter.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Fast home charging with surge protection without having to worry about adapters..

You don't have to worry about adapters with a 14-50. Works out of the box. Costs $9. Also I don't know that the HPWC has any surge protection in it, but even if it did, you'd want you $550 device to do that which could leave you chargeless, or spend a couple dollars on whole-house surge protection?

I have both. Because I can charge at 80A, and if it breaks I can use the 14-50. But I know the HPWC is a dumb luxury.

Reactions: brkaus
You don't have to worry about adapters with a 14-50. Works out of the box. Costs $9. Also I don't know that the HPWC has any surge protection in it, but even if it did, you'd want you $550 device to do that which could leave you chargeless, or spend a couple dollars on whole-house surge protection?

I have both. Because I can charge at 80A, and if it breaks I can use the 14-50. But I know the HPWC is a dumb luxury.
Alternating currents , well, alternate. One reason many devices have the little black transformer is to convert to “clean power” and extend device life. HWPC does this. I bought an electric car that I intend to have for a long time. I intend to have my house for a long time. My garage did not already have a 14-50 but, in any case, It made sense to me to have purpose built charging for it. I’m an engineer turned accountant and jury rigging would drive me nuts...Can’t help it:)

Alternating currents , well, alternate. One reason many devices have the little black transformer is to convert to “clean power” and extend device life. HWPC does this.
Uhhhhhh, no. I think you're thinking of the contactors. That's not what they do, and the UMC has them too. There's not much in that box. Surge suppression comes in the form of single-use varistors that would have to be replaced if hit hard enough. You should get whole-house surge suppression if you really care about your stuff.

Alternating currents , well, alternate. One reason many devices have the little black transformer is to convert to “clean power” and extend device life. HWPC does this. I bought an electric car that I intend to have for a long time. I intend to have my house for a long time. My garage did not already have a 14-50 but, in any case, It made sense to me to have purpose built charging for it. I’m an engineer turned accountant and jury rigging would drive me nuts...Can’t help it:)

All EVSEs are just smart switches. They advertise available amperage and make sure things are safe before passing primary voltage. They do not clean power or provide surge suppression.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and GSP
Thanks, I talked to the electrician and it seems they would have to charge me to crawl under the house again and redo the wiring...

This makes no sense.

No competent electrician should have been willing to install a brand new 10-30 receptacle. It has no ground and has been against code for a LONG time (existing receptacles are allowed to stay and I suspect you can replace a defective receptacle which is why they still sell them).

Regardless, I don't understand what kind of wire the electrician would have run that DID NOT include a ground wire. Presumably they would have run 10 AWG three conductor (hot, hot, neutral), but every kind of wire I could think of (that they would have likely used) ALSO has a ground wire in it. So switching to a 14-30 should be a trivial job to just swap the receptacle.

If you can do so safely, take the cover off your electrical panel and post pictures here - specifically detailed pictures on the wiring coming into the panel for that new 30a circuit. If it has four wires (like it is NM-B Romex) then it should be trivial to switch over to a 14-30.

Also, I am shocked that during the middle of the Model 3 rollout they would discontinue that adapter. Are you 100% positive they were talking about the right part #? It is still on their web site (just listed as out of stock). They have been changing the revision # on a lot of their adapters, so perhaps someone checked the stock level on the old SKU (not knowing a new one had replaced it)?

-Eric

Reactions: neroden
I agree with being shocked that Tesla discontinued the 10-30 Adapter right in the middle of the ramp up!

It looks like this may end up being a good thing because I am now going to install a dedicated 14-50 receptacle.

I would still like to have the 10-30 Adapter since this is still a common receptacle in older houses like mine.

Post #15, talks about this. Basically leave the outlet alone, get the 14-30 adapter and wire a 10-30 plug -> 14-30 receptacle. Just link the neutral to ground in the plug to receptacle adapter.

I am not an electrician, but I am pretty sure that neutral should only be connected to ground in one place: in the main distribution panel. Connecting these two in your adapter could cause problems.

Best bet is to wait for Tesla to make the 10-30 UMC adapter available again. Tesla has had periods in the past where the 10-30 and other adapters for the old UMC were out of stock and removed from their website, but they came back and I was able to order mine online. Back then it took several months, but it sounds like it will only be a few week wait now.

If someone does make their own 10-30 to 14-30 adapter, I suggest connecting it like I did for the 10-50 to 14-50 adapter that I made. I just connected the neutral from the 10-50 to the ground pin of the 14-50. The neutral pin of the 14-50 is not connected to anything. This works great for charging Teslas or other EVs, but would be a disaster if someone ever plugged a motor home into it, since RVs require the neutral to be connected. Without this connection, 120 V RV appliances get supplied with 240 V. Label your homemade adapter "EV charging only!"

GSP

• Informative
Reactions: neroden