Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10-30 Adapter Sold Out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the same boat. These are the options I found so far

1) evse adaptor as noted above - $50 vs $35 from tesla. But seems equivalent.
2) buy a 10-30 to 14-50 dongle (lots on amazon) and use the free 14-50 adaptor. This may be dangerous as you need to set the charge in the car to 24a. Otherwise it will try to pull more and blow fuses,etc.

Am hopeful the adaptor from tesla is just sold out. Otherwise #1 is the way to go imho unless you can spring for a hpwc.

I've contacted Tesla support and they said it's been discontinued. I just paid $600 to have the outlet installed and now don't know what I'm going to do.
Really? That's shocking. Very glad I got mine in last week. I can understand wanting to move to outlets with a neutral but the majority of US homes still have a dryer outlet with a 10-30 and that provides an easy way to charge while visiting friends etc.

Call the electrician that did the work and ask him about changing it out. I don't know the code, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to run a separate neutral wire using another conduit to the outlet box. Technically that would work and avoid the majority of the actual work on the electrician's part.

Reactions: neroden
Really? That's shocking. Very glad I got mine in last week. I can understand wanting to move to outlets with a neutral but the majority of US homes still have a dryer outlet with a 10-30 and that provides an easy way to charge while visiting friends etc.

Call the electrician that did the work and ask him about changing it out. I don't know the code, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to run a separate neutral wire using another conduit to the outlet box. Technically that would work and avoid the majority of the actual work on the electrician's part.

I agree. The 10-30 outlet is still a very common dryer outlet.

Thanks, I talked to the electrician and it seems they would have to charge me to crawl under the house again and redo the wiring...

Reactions: Nocturnal
I've contacted Tesla support and they said it's been discontinued. I just paid $600 to have the outlet installed and now don't know what I'm going to do.

I didn't think it was up to code to install a new 10-30 outlet anymore. The option that is up to code would be to get a 14-30 installed. So it shouldn't pass inspection and the electrician should fix it.