Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.8 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something similar happened to me. I’m in the habit of using the the stalk to cancel fsd because taking over with the steering wheel doesn’t stop it from later accelerating. The car was being to aggressive coming up to a light and I stopped hit the stick and when I went to go it started to go backwards. Managed to stop in time. Now I pay extra attention to that when disengaging fsd.
Moving the steering wheel cancels AP/FSD but leaves TACC active. Tapping the brake or pushing up on the stalk will cancel both. What you’re describing is TACC simply resuming as it is designed to do.

Reactions: okcazure
I drove around 300 miles yesterday. 1st substantial use of FSD and the phantom braking was pretty bad. I did t have this issue prior to receiving FSD Beta. Anytime my car would brake previously I could easily tell what caused that reaction. With FSD there didn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Most of the braking felt more like the car just letting off the accelerator but with Regen it caused a pretty abrupt speed change that felt like braking. My wife is not a fan at all. When it makes a turn the proper way it is really impressive but overall I was disappointed with the use on 2 lane highways where NAP seemed to thrive.

Tesla could and should. The only reason Tesla does not do this is because Elon is stubborn in his "vision-only" approach.
agreed
It might be better if FSD was really vision only, except if isn't and is handicapped by its reliance on crappy maps.
Even worse, not only is it using crappy map data for routing, it prioritizes that crappy data over the realtime camera data.
I see this almost everyday using FSD for two junctions - one was a 4-way stop that was completely removed, the other was a 4-way stop replaced by traffic lights. It manages to mishandle both of them because its using map data to override what the cameras are inputting.

I got the beta on Christmas eve and I've engaged FSD only a handful of times so far. In each case, I had to disengage soon after engaging:

1) Made a perfect left turn into a residential street, then proceeded to drive down the middle of the street despite the fact that there was an oncoming car on the other side.

2) Made a left turn from a 2-lane 55MPH to a 2-lane 45MPH. The car accelerated so quickly out of the turn that it was actually fishtailing on the wet asphalt.

3) Stopped at a red light prepared for a right turn, then started making a right turn on red despite the fact that oncoming traffic had a left turn arrow into that same lane that I needed. I disengaged that one quickly.

4) Driving on a 55MPH 2-lane there was so much phantom braking that I had to disengage because of the traffic behind me.

In each case, I disengaged it within a few minutes after starting it.

My goal at this point is just to get a bit familiar with FSD, but so far it has not been very cooperative.

• Informative
Reactions: ContrarianDC
IMO, Tesla should copy Mobileye and use the fleet to crowdsource HD maps. It would vastly improve FSD Beta and most likely allow L4 or L5 which will not happen with the current approach.
Oh yes - after all mobile eye has solved L5 FSD !

What you are suggesting is equivalent to me saying GM should only make EVs from tomorrow.

PS : There are enough threads to discuss HD maps can we take it there and derail this thread ?

Since I got into Beta (10.2) I haven't been able to shift into Reverse without using the Brake pedal (aggravating). I even get a waring. Here is a pic of the Icon and if expanded it says something like "Must use Brake Pedal to change Gears". So you can shift into Reverse without using the Brake Pedal?
Same here. Prior to FSD Beta, I could change gears as long as I was under 5mph. With 10.8 in particular, I got the same screen warning and it stayed on my display through 2-3 separate drives. I had to two-button salute to clear it.

Any one getting beta since the last roll out? I missed the last roll out on my Plaid i think because I only had 60 miles driven with a 100 score. But now I'm at 150ish miles with 100 score. Wondering when the next snapshot and roll out may be!
You have FSD Beta and still getting a safety score? That doesn’t sound right, I kept my score up for a while and then got the FSD Beta download about two months ago, have not seen safety score since

agreed
It might be better if FSD was really vision only, except if isn't and is handicapped by its reliance on crappy maps.
Even worse, not only is it using crappy map data for routing, it prioritizes that crappy data over the realtime camera data.
I see this almost everyday using FSD for two junctions - one was a 4-way stop that was completely removed, the other was a 4-way stop replaced by traffic lights. It manages to mishandle both of them because its using map data to override what the cameras are inputting.
The removed stop sign seems like it would be easy to crowed source. “Hey people aren’t stopping here when I think they should be”. Same with the lights.. if you hit on green the same detection should start picking up that the spot looks annotated incorrectly.

You have FSD Beta and still getting a safety score? That doesn’t sound right, I kept my score up for a while and then got the FSD Beta download about two months ago, have not seen safety score since

No no, I had beta on my 2020 MS LR+ and I did not see a score after that but I bought a Plaid that was delivered last week. When the rollout of 10.8 happened, I had 100 score but only like 60 miles driven since I opted in. So I think I missed out on the 10.8 rollout due to not having enough miles at that score. I was wondering if the 10.8 roll out is still going up so that I may be included now that I have a 100 score and over 100 miles driven at 100 score.

The removed stop sign seems like it would be easy to crowed source. “Hey people aren’t stopping here when I think they should be”. Same with the lights.. if you hit on green the same detection should start picking up that the spot looks annotated incorrectly.
exactly right - but that isn't what is happening. There is no crowd sourcing of map data that any of us can detect. Tesla used Open Street Map for smart summon but not for FSD.
Thats the current problem, FSD doesn't currently seem to be functionally robust enough to have the confidence to override map data. So we see mistakes like that.

Reactions: Matias
Still nothing for a 2020 Model S LR+. Currently still on FSD 10.6.1.
Yesterday afternoon a few older Model S's got the non-beta version. Yesterday and today my count is 798 got 44.25.2. Only one Plaid got 44.25.6 per TeslaFi. Legacy Model S's are continuing to roll out but very slow. Still all quiet on my 2 Teslas.