Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.8 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No intersection involved. It just turns on the signal and lane changes across the double yellow into the oncoming traffic lane
Ah sorry, I misunderstood your situation. For straight roads, it seems like FSD Beta crosses the double yellow line in "exceptional" cases:
  • giving space to pedestrians/cyclists/VRUs
  • going around double parked vehicles
  • maneuvering around path blockage (added in 10.3)
  • others?
You mentioned it signaled, so I believe it's not a case of going around a false positive VRU detection, which could result in sudden swerving across double yellow. Earlier betas seemed to be more aggressive in trying to go around stopped traffic, e.g., at a traffic light, and I'm pretty sure this was accompanied by a turn signal but no message on screen. With 10.8, I've seen additional signaling messages such as moving away from a merge (behavior added in 10.5), so hopefully Tesla adds more types of messages to help drivers understand what FSD Beta is trying to do.

I've noticed on a straight highway going uphill, at a particular section, it has consistently wanted to "switch to faster lane" when there's nobody ahead, so it seems like it's incorrectly predicting a sign/building/something as a slow vehicle ahead, but there was actually a lane to change into without crossing double yellow lines.

Just making sure, there was no message on screen, and was it on a straight road like this but up/down hills with trees/shadows?
55mph nc.jpg

Good news to report:

Today I tested the auto park in my Model S and it worked again with this latest update. Bounded parking space was also once again available. This is what it looks like: The "P" is way over above the temperature. Easy to miss if you aren't watching there. As soon as I put the car in reverse I got the auto park screen.

IMG_2448.jpg

IMG_2445.jpg

Ah sorry, I misunderstood your situation. For straight roads, it seems like FSD Beta crosses the double yellow line in "exceptional" cases:
  • giving space to pedestrians/cyclists/VRUs
  • going around double parked vehicles
  • maneuvering around path blockage (added in 10.3)
  • others?
You mentioned it signaled, so I believe it's not a case of going around a false positive VRU detection, which could result in sudden swerving across double yellow. Earlier betas seemed to be more aggressive in trying to go around stopped traffic, e.g., at a traffic light, and I'm pretty sure this was accompanied by a turn signal but no message on screen. With 10.8, I've seen additional signaling messages such as moving away from a merge (behavior added in 10.5), so hopefully Tesla adds more types of messages to help drivers understand what FSD Beta is trying to do.

I've noticed on a straight highway going uphill, at a particular section, it has consistently wanted to "switch to faster lane" when there's nobody ahead, so it seems like it's incorrectly predicting a sign/building/something as a slow vehicle ahead, but there was actually a lane to change into without crossing double yellow lines.

Just making sure, there was no message on screen, and was it on a straight road like this but up/down hills with trees/shadows?
View attachment 751107

Exactly correct yes, straight road, one lane each way, double yellow....

Nothing on screen, and nothing on the road for it be going around.

rough location can be seen here:

I would agree in some circumstances FSD is not "useable" but stating that as a broad brush is not accurate. Depends on the driving environment and the type of roads you're driving. On many less complex drives it can work really well. It's about learning what FSD does well and not so well. If you feel it's "mostly" dangerous then you probably shouldn't be a FSD beta tester.
Second this comment. Activating on routes that I have done before with little to no intervention it is quite usable.

Probably worst drive of FSD Beta 10.8 so far, but I was testing some of the remaining intersections that FSD Beta has had trouble with. Here's a 3-lane left turn at a SPUI where most typically have 2 turn lanes for each direction:
3 left SPUI.jpg

I didn't see what was on the visualization, but it was definitely not avoiding this little island for the outermost turn lane. Maybe some issues with shadows although the island's reflectors probably would have been rendered as cones.

Separately as others have noted with 10.8, a turn from a 35mph road to a 25mph residential street was taken too quickly and it actually ended up fully on the wrong side of the double yellow lines. Previous versions as well as earlier 10.8 attempts have slowed down sufficiently although typically it slows down "too late" during the turn as it realizes it's going too fast.

One of the new features of 10.8 of biasing into bike lanes for right turns resulted in FSD Beta slipping over ice and snow as most people avoid this "optimization" preferring the safer stop on dry road.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Maybe your new Model S was delivered with the new UI layout features or you had one of the prior software versions with the latest UI already that those who updated from an earlier version like 36.5.1 had. What version of the software did you have prior to 44.25.6?

Also, do you have some of the features like the split climate temperature at the bottom vs the older version that had it in the bottom center?

Should be easy for you to see if you have the latest UI layout as opposed to the older one. The contrast / brightness is actually a slider setting in the menus and that did change for me too with the latest update. I just set it back to where I liked it. The new UI is more about location and organization than image quality.
For example a big one I don't like is the new UI took away the Supercharging KW rates.
New one:
View attachment 751017

Old one:
View attachment 751020

I prefer the old one with more info during charging but they took that away. :(
Yea the current UI looks the same as it did when it was delivered in July. My MSLR never looked like yours from the screen shots. My MYLR before this update looked similar to your screen shots though.

I would agree in some circumstances FSD is not "useable" but stating that as a broad brush is not accurate. Depends on the driving environment and the type of roads you're driving. On many less complex drives it can work really well. It's about learning what FSD does well and not so well. If you feel it's "mostly" dangerous then you probably shouldn't be a FSD beta tester.
Dear sir, I respect your opinion. It looks like whoever doesn't agree with your opinion shouldn't be a FSD beta tester??

Dear sir, I respect your opinion. It looks like whoever doesn't agree with your opinion shouldn't be a FSD beta tester??
Of course not, but when someone says "at the best it is unusable and in normal circumstances its mostly dangerous" why would you want to continue testing if it's unusable? If you could clarify this that would be helpful.

During that 1 mile I get 7 to 8 slowdowns every time. I hit the report button all 7 or 8 times!!
People have different opinions on what is phantom braking. Some believe it is when your car slows down like when you let up on the accelerator pedal slightly ranging all the way to being in AP and the car slams on the brakes hard. If I get hard brakes slamming on for no visual reason, personally, I define that as phantom braking. If I see a reason for it then that is cause, like a jogger staring at her phone all of the sudden turns from the sidewalk and begins to jaywalk jog across the street in front of me, the car will slam on the brakes even though she stops short of actually running in front of me. If the car just lets up on the accelerator and the car slows 1-2 mph I feel it but I don't call that phantom braking. If it slows 5-10 mph, then I report it. Last summer, I would get phantom braking often on the highway for no reason. Other times it would slam on the brakes if a car in the right lane enters the on ramp parallel to me. That has stopped too lately. I'm actually seeing and reporting much less phantom braking than what was happening last summer. Software has been improving in this long running issue but it needs more work.
My MSLR never looked like yours from the screen shots.
You should post some pics of your screen otherwise there is no way for me to determine if you really do have an older horizontal screen features with the latest software 44.25.6. It should look like your Model Y screen for the most part. Hard to discuss any further without seeing what your unique situation looks like on your 2021 Model S.
My MYLR before this update looked similar to your screen shots though.
I never posted screen shots of my Model Y. If you bought a 2021 Model S then it doesn't have a vertical screen that I have and should have similar features as your Model Y. Most of the features in my Model Y are similar to my Model s but the layout works differently. Some things will appear in the driver's display that show up in the left panel on the Model Y.

I’ve never gotten the email for beta Either. Running three cars on beta. The beta update just showed up. I’d like to send them emails on issues I have.

Biggest on is why the cars default to truck speed on dual rated roads. Cars 55, trucks 45. It’s been a bug since speed limit signs came out. We also have dual speed limit signs North of Baltimore for day and night driving. Guess FSD can’t read the fine print on speed limit signs.

People have different opinions on what is phantom braking. Some believe it is when your car slows down like when you let up on the accelerator pedal slightly ranging all the way to being in AP and the car slams on the brakes hard. If I get hard brakes slamming on for no visual reason, personally, I define that as phantom braking. If I see a reason for it then that is cause, like a jogger staring at her phone all of the sudden turns from the sidewalk and begins to jaywalk jog across the street in front of me, the car will slam on the brakes even though she stops short of actually running in front of me. If the car just lets up on the accelerator and the car slows 1-2 mph I feel it but I don't call that phantom braking. If it slows 5-10 mph, then I report it. Last summer, I would get phantom braking often on the highway for no reason. Other times it would slam on the brakes if a car in the right lane enters the on ramp parallel to me. That has stopped too lately. I'm actually seeing and reporting much less phantom braking than what was happening last summer. Software has been improving in this long running issue but it needs more work.

You should post some pics of your screen otherwise there is no way for me to determine if you really do have an older horizontal screen features with the latest software 44.25.6. It should look like your Model Y screen for the most part. Hard to discuss any further without seeing what your unique situation looks like on your 2021 Model S.

I never posted screen shots of my Model Y. If you bought a 2021 Model S then it doesn't have a vertical screen that I have and should have similar features as your Model Y. Most of the features in my Model Y are similar to my Model s but the layout works differently. Some things will appear in the driver's display that show up in the left panel on the Model Y.
I meant my MYLR UI, before the v11 update, looked like your screenshots (of MS with vertical screen) black and white icons, etc. Now MYLR looks like my MS refresh does.

MS refresh screen in August (2021.12.25.5):

3CB516CE-97B6-4080-BC98-FC73402B17D9.jpeg

MS refresh screen couple mins ago (2021.44.25.6):

A78845F1-D0FF-4670-8A59-F10255C889B2.jpeg

I meant my MYLR UI, before the v11 update, looked like your screenshots (of MS with vertical screen) black and white icons, etc. Now MYLR looks like my MS refresh does.
Thanks for clarification with pictures. Makes sense. Your 2020 Model S had the latest screen in 2021.12.25.5 that the rest with Model 3 & Y had to wait for. Did it deliver with that screen too?

My Model Y was stuck on 32.22 for 3 months with original screen. It did not update when I finally dropped out of the Queue on December 15 and immediately got 36.5.1. Then when I got 44.5.2, I finally got the screen layout that you show too. That was on 12/30. My 2020 Model S with vertical screen has similar menu structure and color icons now but the layout is only different in that I swipe up and down while your Model S you swipe left and right. Both my Teslas can have more 3 windows open. I've only tested that on my Model S, however.

Now, give us back the Supercharging and L2 charging screen windows. I don't see any reason why Tesla decided to hide that info from us. I can still see it in the driver's display but Can't display it in the Model Y.

Hey- congrats on your new Model S. Hope you are getting used to the Yoke and lack of stalks. I think you will also really appreciate the way the Model S ride smoothness with air suspension.

Thanks for clarification with pictures. Makes sense. Your 2020 Model S had the latest screen in 2021.12.25.5 that the rest with Model 3 & Y had to wait for. Did it deliver with that screen too?

My Model Y was stuck on 32.22 for 3 months with original screen. It did not update when I finally dropped out of the Queue on December 15 and immediately got 36.5.1. Then when I got 44.5.2, I finally got the screen layout that you show too. That was on 12/30. My 2020 Model S with vertical screen has similar menu structure and color icons now but the layout is only different in that I swipe up and down while your Model S you swipe left and right. Both my Teslas can have more 3 windows open. I've only tested that on my Model S, however.

Now, give us back the Supercharging and L2 charging screen windows. I don't see any reason why Tesla decided to hide that info from us. I can still see it in the driver's display but Can't display it in the Model Y.

Hey- congrats on your new Model S. Hope you are getting used to the Yoke and lack of stalks. I think you will also really appreciate the way the Model S ride smoothness with air suspension.
Yea that picture was literally a day or two after delivery. I was stuck on that software (2021.12.25.5) for a while. Then again stuck on the 32.22 because of 99 safety score until I finally got put into the beta and it’s been decent since. Just interesting to see that my 2021 MS did not really benefit virtually from UI11 as it looks just like my UI10.2 did on 2021.12.25.5 after delivery in August.

V11 UI change was essentially to bring 3/Y on par with refreshed S.

The deeper reason is to put all (or the overwhelming majority) of the fleet on the same software stack. Huge win for maintainability and development velocity for the next several years. Not since the 3/Y's release has >95% of the fleet been running the same stack.

Also lets Tesla add more features to the more expensive cars first, then trickle them down to mid-range and lower-end cars over time, with relatively little effort -- which is the right way to do it, from a sales & market perspective.

Last edited:
Needless to say FSD didn't do well during our snow storm yesterday. But like AP it did do good this morning on partially covered roads. Our turn lane entrance to the office park was blocked with plowed snow. the car simply stayed on the main road and turned right instead of driving through the snow banks. The computer did it like it knew what it was doing, and didn't want to scratch the paint;) . A lot of the roads were partially covered.

Yesterday as soon as the sensors got covered in snow FSD wouldn't operate. I had ice all around the car with many sensors reporting blocked. Last night on my way home my windows were even frozen shut. Got around 6" of snow.

The car has continued to do well in the rain on roads that I had driven before.

Our X got FSD this week with a 97 safety score.

Haven't see a lot of people covering FSD in NYC so will start posting some vids of the progress in the city. While FSD is awesome in the suburbs, its horrible in the city. Will be interesting to see how this evolves over the year since FSD on city streets needs to actually work on city streets lol.

Here is my first vid doing a short drive in downtown Brooklyn. Will be doing a lot more videos in even more congested Manhattan, so sub if you want to be seeing more stuff like this (and im working on a better cam setup).