Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.8 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Needless to say FSD didn't do well during our snow storm yesterday. But like AP it did do good this morning on partially covered roads. Our turn lane entrance to the office park was blocked with plowed snow. the car simply stayed on the main road and turned right instead of driving through the snow banks. The computer did it like it knew what it was doing, and didn't want to scratch the paint;) . A lot of the roads were partially covered.

Yesterday as soon as the sensors got covered in snow FSD wouldn't operate. I had ice all around the car with many sensors reporting blocked. Last night on my way home my windows were even frozen shut. Got around 6" of snow.

The car has continued to do well in the rain on roads that I had driven before.

Our X got FSD this week with a 97 safety score.
Pretty clear full coverage for snow/icy conditions will require Hardware 4. So for anyone contemplating using your car as a robotaxi just assume your service won't be operational during active snow/ice conditions. I wouldn't think that would be too much of a problem since it wouldn't be that often and most people would rather stay home anyway.

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy and K5TRX
Pretty clear full coverage for snow/icy conditions will require Hardware 4. So for anyone contemplating using your car as a robotaxi just assume your service won't be operational during active snow/ice conditions. I wouldn't think that would be too much of a problem since it wouldn't be that often and most people would rather stay home anyway.

I've had both NoA and FSD disable themselves, or drop to limited functionality, from just moderate or heavy rain... which happens a bit more often than snow.

(most commonly one of the front fender cams gets a smear of water on it and it claims it's blocked when this happens- though this morning I had NoA keep going in and out of working when one of the B pillar cams was in direct sunlight- the sunlight failure is much more rare than the rain one though)

• Informative
Reactions: K5TRX and aronth5
I must say that after watching Dirty Tesla videos, I expected a lot better from 10.8.

What was most disappointing is that FSD is mostly useless in the small rural area where I drive. In my neighborhood, the car tries to crash through gates, runs a stop sign, repeatedly stops for non-existent traffic control, does a terrible job with auto headlights, and takes a 20-minute detour instead of a 3-minute direct route (not new, but more of an annoyance when the car gets to drive).

Outside the neighborhood, it misses turns, crosses into a traffic lane and stops in front of oncoming traffic, changes from the driving lane into the opposing lane randomly on a clearly marked two-lane road, heads for the ditch or tries to run over the curb on some poorly marked acute angled intersections, drives down the center of roads without centerlines, tries to go 25 mph through a parking lot, uses the turn signal going around curves and is especially clueless on very secondary roads in the dark.
Yes lots of work to be done. None-the-less 10.8 it is the best improvement I have seen since entering the program in late October with 10.3.1.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
That was truly amazing. I loathe every time that I have to drive to or through NYC because it always feels like I am in a Driver's Ed movie from 1955. Jaywalkers, cyclists, double parked vehicles, crazy detours and cars parked but poking out into traffic... This video is the best argument for mass transit that I've ever seen.

But that said, FSD beta handled it better than I expected. It maybe handled it better than I could have done. It's almost as if FSD beta's timidity in some situations and agressiveness in others is perfectly suited to driving in NYC.

• Funny
That was truly amazing. I loathe every time that I have to drive to or through NYC because it always feels like I am in a Driver's Ed movie from 1955. Jaywalkers, cyclists, double parked vehicles, crazy detours and cars parked but poking out into traffic... This video is the best argument for mass transit that I've ever seen.

But that said, FSD beta handled it better than I expected. It maybe handled it better than I could have done. It's almost as if FSD beta's timidity in some situations and agressiveness in others is perfectly suited to driving in NYC.
It's the best argument against cities.

Exactly correct yes, straight road, one lane each way, double yellow.... Nothing on screen, and nothing on the road for it be going around. rough location can be seen here:
This situation seems very similar to another shared with r/TeslaLounge where FSD Beta seems to have a false positive VRU detection and wants to go around. But oddly not high enough confidence to render on screen but perhaps briefly high enough to path around:
cross yellow mailbox.jpg
Were you driving south/west on Orange Grove with more mailboxes on that side? I've definitely noticed a lot of false positive VRUs/pedestrians visualized for mail boxes throughout FSD Beta.

When you say it signaled, do you remember if it was before initiating the crossing yellow or after to return to your original lane? This original video of the similar situation had the right turn signal on:
cross yellow signal right.jpg

I don't recall an especially large # of mailboxes but wasn't paying that near attention.

Turn signal was definitely left and PRE lane change... because I recall noticing it turned on, thinking "WTF is the turn signal on fo....OH SHITAKE IT IS CHANGING INTO THE ONCOMING LANE TAKING OVER NOW...."
I haven't had it try this yet on all the "country backroads" I take so far. Since getting 10.8 I have not had the opportunity to try out the Pungo Ferry Rd way to my parents house yet (pretty much all rural back roads). On 10.5 it did okay, if you ignored the phantom braking. Maybe I will be able to give it a try this weekend.

Has anyone noticed ever since the latest updates our miles range has dropped significantly?

My Model S now loses 2.4 miles of range for every road miles traveled.

My Model Y now just lost 110 miles of range driving 40 miles at an average of 50 miles per hour.

This change happened after the latest set of updates immediately on the next drives.

I wonder what could cause this.

• Informative
Pretty clear full coverage for snow/icy conditions will require Hardware 4. So for anyone contemplating using your car as a robotaxi just assume your service won't be operational during active snow/ice conditions...
Thanks that's a very good point! I will immediately have to adjust my detailed business-model spreadsheet in planning out my billion-dollar robotaxi empire!

I mean you're absolutely right, I need to be all ready for my inexorable market takeover into Utah, Colorado and points north...

Darn it, I knew I shouldn't have hard-coded Divine Interference as a zero-valued constant in the Visual Basic assumptions header...

Has anyone noticed ever since the latest updates our miles range has dropped significantly?

My Model S now loses 2.4 miles of range for every road miles traveled.

My Model Y now just lost 110 miles of range driving 40 miles at an average of 50 miles per hour.

This change happened after the latest set of updates immediately on the next drives.

I wonder what could cause this.

Here is my TeslaFi report and it appears all got a reduction in the GOM range.

Range loss compared to the fleet.png

• Informative
We've had extremely heavy snow in interior Alaska over the past 2 weeks, it's been interesting testing Beta lately. A couple things I've noticed:

• Edge detection on 100% snow covered roads is pretty good. The car is placing the edge of the road about where I would estimate it to be.
    Snow covered roads for Beta 10.8.jpg
  • The road is very rough here right now from a snow/ice storm, there appears to be no accommodation for rough parts of the road. No weaving around potholes as I would.
  • No accommodation for clearly visible ice when making maneuvers. However on entry to a small skid coming around a corner too fast, it did seem to catch itself
  • Edge detection on snowy roads is poor in flat light/low contrast conditions. The same road at night with headlights was fine.
  • It sees moose as pedestrians!
  • Moose with Beta 10.8.jpg

Is this just a change in GOM rating, or real world range (e.g. moving once-usable capacity to into the top or bottom buffers)? If just the former, a more realistic GOM is not necessarily a bad thing.
I'm hoping this is just my inexperience with cold temperature drives. One 40 mile drive used 60 miles of battery range drop when the temperature was 40°F
Later that afternoon the temperature was 65° and the return trip, 40 miles lost 49 miles.

Energy display is gone from center dash on my MS using FSD 10.8 Is this true for all of you as well? I swear it was there before 10.8 upgrade -- and certainly when on highway in standard auto-pilot. It only displays when it reverse and maybe in D for a few seconds then disappears. thanks

Energy display is gone from center dash on my MS using FSD 10.8 Is this true for all of you as well? I swear it was there before 10.8 upgrade -- and certainly when on highway in standard auto-pilot. It only displays when it reverse and maybe in D for a few seconds then disappears. thanks

Go into your FSD menu and unselect expanded FSD visualization display.

IMG_2448.jpg

We've had extremely heavy snow in interior Alaska over the past 2 weeks, it's been interesting testing Beta lately. A couple things I've noticed:

• Edge detection on 100% snow covered roads is pretty good. The car is placing the edge of the road about where I would estimate it to be.View attachment 752129
  • The road is very rough here right now from a snow/ice storm, there appears to be no accommodation for rough parts of the road. No weaving around potholes as I would.
  • No accommodation for clearly visible ice when making maneuvers. However on entry to a small skid coming around a corner too fast, it did seem to catch itself
  • Edge detection on snowy roads is poor in flat light/low contrast conditions. The same road at night with headlights was fine.
  • It sees moose as pedestrians!
  • View attachment 752131
I was going to post similar event, but you got them. I guess the moose is a little larger than a person so a Human symbol would work. I never see Dogs getting walked on my display just the human half. The moose will certainly put a big dent in your car if not total it.

I drove another 120 miles today in the residual snow. No real issues other than the different behavior.

The car will take the plowed snow banks and treat that as the new curb and or move over to the other lane is available.

twice it ran into the unplowed area instead of changing lanes. it quickly disengaged and had me take over when the ride got real rough.

on black Ice it didn't seem to care, if I broke traction it told me to grab the wheel but did not disengage.

Turning the car went wide of the new snow curbs.

• Informative