Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.8 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Auto park worked until 10.5 for me. Hasnt worked since. 2021.36.8.10.

I live in DC (as well as Raleigh) so I've had PLENTY of cases and opportunities to try it out. Just stopped working.
AutoPark (perpendicular) has been switched over to the FSD Beta Stack and works in FSD. Not sure if legacy parallel parking has been removed or not but it is not in the FSD Stack.

Reactions: okcazure
I completely agree. I'd give up most or even all new features to test FSD. For me the new features are really cool but FSD is extremely cool!
These are the comments I hear all the time from people who believe it works 99% of the time. The fact is, unless you want to increase your chances of getting into an accident, you only TEST the FSD Beta when and where it is reasonably safe. You, as do many others who have no experience with it believe the fantasy that it is autonomous driving. Trust me, would you invite your 10 year old to drive you to work because that would be cool too? Fact is most 10 year olds can drive better than FSD-beta with a few hours of experience.

I know you've read the reports and probably watched the many videos. If you think the way it works is really cool then you are suicidal. Testing FSD Beta is work, hard work, and I would say in the country by yourself is not too bad but in the city, in traffic it is similar to urban combat as far as the constant surprises and near collisions you are faced with every couple seconds when it fails.

A good example is making a simple left or right turn from a stop sign. I run the same stop sign for 5 trials. It fails in a variety of issues 3 out of 5 trials. That is a 60% failure. I test a red light and it stops 9 out of 10 trials. But, 1 time it just runs the red light. Is that really cool it runs red lights 10% of the time?

I have a background in Research and Development in the chemical industry so I understand testing and recognize how FSD is getting better every week with new releases, but it is not ready for the thrill seekers who just want to experience their fantasy that it is extremely cool. Wait a few years, like we did for highway autopilot and you will get your extremely cool thrill of FSD.

I lost it when I got FSD-beta in the beginning of October. I still have it in the Model Y, but only with two parked cars either side of a vacant spot.. I would really like to see it added to Model S (with FSD-beta) for vacant lot parking.
According to this, it was added in 10.3. Are you sure it doesn't work for you ?

These are the comments I hear all the time from people who believe it works 99% of the time. The fact is, unless you want to increase your chances of getting into an accident, you only TEST the FSD Beta when and where it is reasonably safe. You, as do many others who have no experience with it believe the fantasy that it is autonomous driving.
Hmmm ... are you claiming I've "no experience with it (FSD Beta)" ? I know you quoted someone else, but they were agreeing with me.

Thing to remember is Testing FSD Beta is not for everyone. Sounds like it doesn't interest you.

Honestly the biggest real-world use case advantage of having FSD Beta is that you are no longer capped at +5MPH when on Autopilot on city streets. Aside from that, it's not a feature that you use aside from when wanting to test it out for the sake of testing it out. It's literally "Ok, Im going to do some testing now...have to pay extra extra attention."
You mean thats how "you" see it. It is obviously not true for everyone.

Infact I normally drive with FSD Beta with zero offset. Once in a while with +5. I've zero interest in driving above +5 on AP.

FSD Beta is better than AP in these ways ...
- No need to press on accelerator to go at every green light or stop sign
- Won't hit cars / objects / VRU on the side of the road (or partly jutting into the lane)
- Much better at keeping lane
- Can go through intersections straight and figure out where to go even if the "straight road" is an angle
- Knows how to handle lane splits

Even if you don't want to use it for (AP also doesn't work here, so have to disengage)
- Turns
- Roundabouts

Personally I use it for wherever I feel it is safe. So, I disengage at what I feel is not safe enough.
- Busy unprotected turns
- Busy roundabouts

One occasion where AP is better than FSD is when FSD won't work because of heavy rain. At that time I switch to AP only profile and use AP.

I lost it when I got FSD-beta in the beginning of October. I still have it in the Model Y, but only with two parked cars either side of a vacant spot.. I would really like to see it added to Model S (with FSD-beta) for vacant lot parking.
I literally just used Autopark on FSD Beta 10.6.1 on my MYP in a perpendicular vacant parking spot adjacent to two other vacant parking spots. I have never gotten Autopark to work on parallel parking spots but almost never parallel park.

These are the comments I hear all the time from people who believe it works 99% of the time. The fact is, unless you want to increase your chances of getting into an accident, you only TEST the FSD Beta when and where it is reasonably safe. You, as do many others who have no experience with it believe the fantasy that it is autonomous driving. Trust me, would you invite your 10 year old to drive you to work because that would be cool too? Fact is most 10 year olds can drive better than FSD-beta with a few hours of experience.

I know you've read the reports and probably watched the many videos. If you think the way it works is really cool then you are suicidal. Testing FSD Beta is work, hard work, and I would say in the country by yourself is not too bad but in the city, in traffic it is similar to urban combat as far as the constant surprises and near collisions you are faced with every couple seconds when it fails.

A good example is making a simple left or right turn from a stop sign. I run the same stop sign for 5 trials. It fails in a variety of issues 3 out of 5 trials. That is a 60% failure. I test a red light and it stops 9 out of 10 trials. But, 1 time it just runs the red light. Is that really cool it runs red lights 10% of the time?

I have a background in Research and Development in the chemical industry so I understand testing and recognize how FSD is getting better every week with new releases, but it is not ready for the thrill seekers who just want to experience their fantasy that it is extremely cool. Wait a few years, like we did for highway autopilot and you will get your extremely cool thrill of FSD.
I drive with FSD every day so why would you claim that I don't, or at least imply I don't have any FSD driving experience, or that I do it for thrills? Maybe you've had it longer but so what, everyone with BETA or trying to get it is part of this process. Some like it, others don't. In any case what part of "cool" means it always works? It clearly doesn't work even close to 99% of time as most comments and available video's prove. It sometimes makes a drive very well with zero interventions for me, and other times it does completely scary things and can't go a mile without intervention. That's all part of the development process.

I too work in R&D but with electronic hardware very similar to what is found in Tesla's. I fully understand the testing because I'm involved in design and testing. I find that design work and testing work cool too (most days anyway), but than again maybe I'm just seeking thrills designing electronics?

The cool part is being part of the development as it improves, just like I was for Navigate On Autopilot. I want to be involved with the good and bad parts, and not just wait until it works 99% of the time.
Hmmm ... are you claiming I've "no experience with it (FSD Beta)" ? I know you quoted someone else, but they were agreeing with me.

Thing to remember is Testing FSD Beta is not for everyone. Sounds like it doesn't interest you.
I agree, not for everyone. Many people I know go for a ride and love it while others (including my family) not so much. To each their own I guess.

I literally just used Autopark on FSD Beta 10.6.1 on my MYP in a perpendicular vacant parking spot adjacent to two other vacant parking spots. I have never gotten Autopark to work on parallel parking spots but almost never parallel park.
I used to use parallel auto park. I've actually never used the perpendicular.

Parallel isn't working for me on 10.6.1. I don't get the "P" icon for spaces on either side. I attempt it per the manual and have used it successfully countless times before.

I can parallel park just fine and yes, it's not quickest and we can all get closer. But it was fun. I giggle every time. I also don't sweat scraping those black 20s.

I too work in R&D but with electronic hardware very similar to what is found in Tesla's. I fully understand the testing because I'm involved in design and testing. I find that design work and testing work cool too (most days anyway), but than again maybe I'm just seeking thrills designing electronics?
For me "cool" part is solving problems that require non-standard thinking. (In my case it is in software but I also enjoy tricky math problems. It could also be engineering or any other area).

For me "cool" part is solving problems that require non-standard thinking. (In my case it is in software but I also enjoy tricky math problems. It could also be engineering or any other area).
Exactly! It's looking at a problem and finding a unique way of solving it. If there was a standard solution it wouldn't be problem, thus non-standard thinking!

I'm technically a hardware engineer but that typically involves firmware making the hardware/software integration a team effort!

Reactions: K5TRX
I wouldn’t mind getting Tidal, I used it on my Volvo’s with the B&W sound system. The quality was great, but the ui was clunky on the phone and on Apple CarPlay. Pretty sure it still kinda sucks from the vids I’ve seen about it. Not even all the tracks download as hi-fi or “master”.