Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.8 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't been able to put 10.8 through it paces like I have with previous versions because we've been having unseasonably warm and foggy weather. But in the few drives that I've done, there are a couple of modest refinements. Turns at non-90 degree intersections (both obtuse and acute) are smoother and more predictable. Phantom braking is slightly less than in 10.6.1. Other than that I really didn't see much change.

I recalibrated the cameras a couple of weeks before I got the Beta.
You need to do it after receiving FSD beta. If your recal only took 5-10 minutes then it is not calibrated for FSD-beta Did it run through the AP recal first and then take about 30 miles of driving off the highway, in town to do FSD calibration step 2? If not then do it again now that you have FSD beta. Mine took over an hour of driving to complete the calibration before I was allowed to activate FSD-beta in town.
Now having said that, I have to admit it didn't make much improvement in my test route failures. Be careful in your test runs.

1E925BD3-4505-4757-80B1-1BF4EB6609F0.jpeg

@TravelFree What is it that you’re disagreeing with? I don’t see you having a refresh MS to give me a comparison of…. UI10.X and UI11

Reactions: FSDtester#1
@TravelFree What is it that you’re disagreeing with? I don’t see you having a refresh MS to give me a comparison of…. UI10.X and UI11
Sorry, I didn't realize you meant the 2021 Model S. The vertical screen has quite a few changes to the UI that are similar to the Model Y in the menu structure. What Tesla did for the vertical screen is only different in that instead of swiping "windows" horizontally, we swipe vertically. But the menu structure has all been updated to match my Model Y structure.

I shot some screen shots on the day 44.25.6 arrived.
IMG_2431.jpgIMG_2434.jpgIMG_2432.jpg

Reactions: K5TRX
Gotta sorta wonder about the value Tesla's team is getting based on them now burying the snapshot button outside of the visualization screen and making it that little bit more difficult to access in the new UI.

You do not deprioritize and bury an input feeding you lots of great data, you make it as easy to access as possible. So either that's just a big oversight which might not be surprising given the feedback regarding the UI updates, or these changes could inform your opinion about what Tesla is getting out of people pressing that button.

A very complicated theory for a really simple problem. If Tesla wants to discourage the use of the snapshot button because it's not useful, it will just remove it. Also, at least in my Model 3, I haven't seen any increase in difficulty in using it. It's actually a tiny bit better now because I don't accidentally hit my profiles link.

I think I'm missing something obvious about this snapshot debate... but on the X, there is a small camera icon near the top of the middle screen. It changed slightly in design, but appears in the same place after the update here, and reports the beta video snapshots same as before (far as I can tell, since all we see is a little text saying 'recorded snapshot', or some such.) Is it somehow hidden on 3 (Y)?

Question.

Does anyone with the ap2 get the fsd beta? The cars that had ap2 but with mcu2. Most of the tests seem to be on the 3/y and plaid. Any tests on older cars?

Used mine to pick up dinner. Couple small complaints. The car can’t seem to read cars merging in with or without blinker, it caused some hard braking at the last sec. The behavior isn’t quite as bad on ap.

Lanes merges are also much worse on fsd than ap, I guess they are probably aware and just need to write that in. Also what is the general thought about fsd in private lots such as driveway or strip malls. Do you engage it when you leave or just full out send it?

Sorry, I didn't realize you meant the 2021 Model S. The vertical screen has quite a few changes to the UI that are similar to the Model Y in the menu structure. What Tesla did for the vertical screen is only different in that instead of swiping "windows" horizontally, we swipe vertically. But the menu structure has all been updated to match my Model Y structure.

I shot some screen shots on the day 44.25.6 arrived.
View attachment 750981View attachment 750982View attachment 750983
My MYLR also got a significant UI update with 11, but the refresh MS looks identical to how it looked before. Some minor color changes on the map, dark mode blacks and grays are a bit lighter, the GPS directions seem to have more opacity, and the NOA/FSD icon on directions looks different.

My MYLR also got a significant UI update with 11, but the refresh MS looks identical to how it looked before. Some minor color changes on the map, dark mode blacks and grays are a bit lighter, the GPS directions seem to have more opacity, and the NOA/FSD icon on directions looks different.
Maybe your new Model S was delivered with the new UI layout features or you had one of the prior software versions with the latest UI already that those who updated from an earlier version like 36.5.1 had. What version of the software did you have prior to 44.25.6?

Also, do you have some of the features like the split climate temperature at the bottom vs the older version that had it in the bottom center?

Should be easy for you to see if you have the latest UI layout as opposed to the older one. The contrast / brightness is actually a slider setting in the menus and that did change for me too with the latest update. I just set it back to where I liked it. The new UI is more about location and organization than image quality.
For example a big one I don't like is the new UI took away the Supercharging KW rates.
New one:
IMG_2440.jpg

Old one:
IMG_1954.jpg

I prefer the old one with more info during charging but they took that away. :(

Question.

Does anyone with the ap2 get the fsd beta? The cars that had ap2 but with mcu2. Most of the tests seem to be on the 3/y and plaid. Any tests on older cars?

Cars with AP2.0 cameras can't get it.

They can upgrade the cameras (for free if they own FSD) to 2.5 cameras by appointment- at least some small # of users have already done so and received the beta.

I'm new to the beta program. How and when do they send you the email address?

I received the email the same time as I was invited to the program and I got the prompt to DL the software.

Check your spam folder maybe?

BTW one absolute regression in recent SW--- an off-ramp in the area ends in a left/right turn lane with a stop sign for either. I generally am turning right here. There's no oncoming/straight traffic, so it's basically a T intersection.

Visibility, so long as no cars are in the left turn lane, is very clear/good both ways.

Earlier versions made this turn fine, though slowly.

10.8? It stops. It creeps (to the point the front of the car is in the cross-traffic lane. Then it sits there and says tap stalk or accelerator to proceeed due into high speed cross traffic.

Even when there's no traffic at all, either way.

Tested half a dozen times as I use this exit decently often, both day and night- the only thing that changes is if the "creep" part sticks into oncoming traffic or not. It no longer proceeds without driver input- again even when no other cars are visible in any direction.

Have seen this in 10.8 at a few other intersections too, though not ones I visit enough to see if it's repeatable.

Gotta sorta wonder about the value Tesla's team is getting based on them now burying the snapshot button outside of the visualization screen and making it that little bit more difficult to access in the new UI.

You do not deprioritize and bury an input feeding you lots of great data, you make it as easy to access as possible. So either that's just a big oversight which might not be surprising given the feedback regarding the UI updates, or these changes could inform your opinion about what Tesla is getting out of people pressing that button.

Is this "snapshot button hard to find/use" issue only on vertical screen cars or something? (which would be a TINY minority of testers)- because it's still there, and easy to use, on my 3.

Lots of OTHER stuff is worse in the 11 UI, but not that.

You need to do it after receiving FSD beta. If your recal only took 5-10 minutes then it is not calibrated for FSD-beta Did it run through the AP recal first and then take about 30 miles of driving off the highway, in town to do FSD calibration step 2? If not then do it again now that you have FSD beta. Mine took over an hour of driving to complete the calibration before I was allowed to activate FSD-beta in town.
Now having said that, I have to admit it didn't make much improvement in my test route failures. Be careful in your test runs.
The initial recalibration was fairly quick, but Autopark stopped working. I found under the Navigate on Autopilot Options settings a message saying that additional cameras were being calibrated. It took over 70 miles of driving over a couple of days before it finished.

I live in a forested area. The Sun in Winter is always low in the sky, resulting in thick tree shadows across almost all roads, even interstate highways. It's like driving on a barcode. The cameras simply don't calibrate well on these roads. I finally had to drive 20 miles to an urban area where there were no trees close to the interstate highway to get the calibration to finish.
1641133745937.png

I think I'm missing something obvious about this snapshot debate... but on the X, there is a small camera icon near the top of the middle screen. It changed slightly in design, but appears in the same place after the update here, and reports the beta video snapshots same as before (far as I can tell, since all we see is a little text saying 'recorded snapshot', or some such.) Is it somehow hidden on 3 (Y)?
The camera icon is along the top of the screen on Model 3, where it was before. If you widen the visualization to full width, the camera icon is inconveniently at the upper right -- farthest away from the driver.

Reactions: Howienewsome
There's a difference between a system that can't solve vs hasn't solved a situation. There's also a difference between building a system that can't fail vs doesn't fail.

At least for us since 10.2, there have been multiple versions (more significantly with 10.5 and 10.8) that no longer drive towards oncoming traffic for complex intersections here.

But this wasn't even a complex intersection.

This was a straight road, with one lane each way.... in broad daylight with clear visibility.

No intersection involved.

It just turns on the signal and lane changes across the double yellow into the oncoming traffic lane.

In 10.8.

There were no oncoming cars (and maybe the system wouldn't have made the mistake if there were- no way to know) but over a year into beta "Car lane changes across easily visible double yellows" is a pretty serious mistake.

And as I mention it's hardly the only regression I've seen in 10.8 (see the inability to turn at stop signs without user input I mention up above)

When compared to pre-FSD, just going to 10.2 correctly handled ~75% of these tricky intersections already, and at least so far, maybe ~5% of these angled/shifted/crested/large intersections around here still have problems.

Perhaps whatever they've done to handle more urban driving like yours has made more rural driving like mine worse.

I received the email the same time as I was invited to the program and I got the prompt to DL the software.

Check your spam folder maybe?
I never got any email correspondence regarding FSD. I just pushed the Request button when it became available a couple of months ago, did my Safety Score thing, and then the Beta was offered as an update like all other firmware releases on Dec. 25.
I have Tesla whitelisted in my email, and I checked the spam folder anyway. I got the recall notices OK.

Reactions: israndy
I never got any email correspondence regarding FSD.
You probably did and deleted it.

This is what it looks like: Note I removed the email full address so I don't get any hate response from those who want to keep that a secret.

Hello,

We will be pushing FSD Beta Version 10.3.1 to your vehicle shortly!

Full Self-Driving is in limited early access Beta and must be used with additional caution. It may do the wrong thing at the worst time, so you must always keep your hands on the wheel and pay extra attention to the road. Do not become complacent. When Full Self-Driving Beta is enabled, your vehicle will make lane changes off highway, select forks to follow your navigation route, navigate around other vehicles and objects, and make left and right turns. Use Full Self-Driving Beta only if you will pay constant attention to the road, and be prepared to act immediately, especially around blind corners, crossing intersections, and in narrow driving situations. Every driver is responsible for remaining alert and active when using Autopilot and must be prepared to take action at any time.

As part of receiving FSD Beta, your vehicle will collect and share VIN-associated vehicle driving data with Tesla to confirm your continued eligibility for FSD Beta feature. If you wish to be removed from the limited early access FSD Beta please email *******@tesla.com

Your vehicle is running on Tesla Vision! Note that Tesla Vision also includes some temporary limitations, as noted below:

• Follow distance is limited to 2-7.
  • Autopilot top speed is 80 mph.
How to provide feedback:

• Press the "Video Record" button on the top bar UI to share your feedback. When pressed, your vehicle’s external cameras will share a short VIN-associated Autopilot Snapshot with the Tesla engineering team to help make improvements to FSD. You will not be able to view the clip.
  • You can email your feedback to *******@tesla.com. In your email please include date, time, location, and if you took an Autopilot Snapshot. This helps us investigate issues, and better understand your feedback.

Thanks,

The Tesla Team

You probably did and deleted it.

This is what it looks like: Note I removed the email full address so I don't get any hate response from those who want to keep that a secret.

Hello,

We will be pushing FSD Beta Version 10.3.1 to your vehicle shortly!

Full Self-Driving is in limited early access Beta and must be used with additional caution......
I received no such email in spam or any other folder at any time prior to or after receiving the beta on December 24th.

Many others here have reported the same thing. Too many to think that we all accidentally deleted it. :)